• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Bryan
    I can't trust a weapon without a hammer or safety.

About the hammer: I used to have the same sentiment but not after firing a few thousand rounds without an issue, over several makes and models. About the safety: There is a 1911-type safety located on the slide. (RH only)
    Gun Zone Deals

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    My CM9 is not as reliable vs. my Glocks with regards to FTE/FTF. If the Shield can be a reliable as Glocks then S&W have a winner product.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I've never had a problem with FTE in my CM9. Only FTFs, and they were the result of user error.

I like the Shield, and would buy one, but I just can't make myself sell my Crossbreed AND my CM9.

Texpacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Central Texas
    I've never had a problem with FTE in my CM9. Only FTFs, and they were the result of user error.

I like the Shield, and would buy one, but I just can't make myself sell my Crossbreed AND my CM9.

Keep your Crossbreed. Take a drill and drill out the rivets that hold the kydex on. Call Old Fashion Holsters and order a Kydex sized for the Shield without any holes drilled. With the Kydex, have them send enough hardware to attach to your Crossbreed backing. When you get the new Kydex, drill your holes to fit and attach. Then you are good to go with about $20 for the conversion.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I have 1045 thru mine in the past month, and I am on several local lists to obtain a 2nd one too. I really love the gun. Only subcompact I have ever owned or shot that I REALLY LIKED.

Sold my Kahr PM9 the first week I got my Shield, after the first range trip. I like the Shield MUCH better than the Kahr (I had owned the kahr for 2.5 years)

shield4.gif

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    My wife found me a 9mm Shield last Thursday and I got to the range with it Saturday. The gun went through 70 or 80 rounds without a hick-up at all. It carries very well. The only complaint I have with it is it shoots about 3 inches low at 7 yd. Very consistently low. I was shooting my loads which are midrange power and I tried some Hornady CD loads with the same result. The tab on the trigger bar that operates the striker safety is a little rough but my Dremel will cure that shortly. The striker safety could also be a little smoother. I know you aren't supposed to oil it but it is very tempting. I to used to have a CW9 and like the Shield better. I had to seat the bullets deeper for them to reliably function in the kahr but the Shield ate my normal length load like candy. My FIL got a Walther PPS which we also tested in the same outing and it too was flawless with our ammo. I plan to alternate carrying the Shield and my G19. The Shield completely disappears under a regular Polo shirt. I think I'll keep it a while.

Has anyone figured out how to dis assemble the slide yet? It appears to to be very similiar to a Glock slide and dis assembly looks to be quite possibly the same.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    This is a common complaint about the Shield for some (on some forums). But, 90% of the time, it seems to be the shooter... I discovered that I had to put my trigger finger ALL the way against the trigger - up to the first joint. Doing this solved my "low" problem - and my gun is dead one. The Critical Ddefense ammo is also the most accurate hollow point type ammo out of the 3 JHP I tried

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Thanks for the info shipwreck. I'll try it this next weekend and see if it helps. My FIL shot it with basically the same results. I was already thinking of new sights. That made all the difference on my G19. I don't care for the three dot type anyway.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Well, the gun doesn't seem to like 147 grain ammo very much at 20 yards. It was noticeably more accurate with 115 grain ammo.

The front dot already fell out ... LOL. Oh well, excuse to get some night sights.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Hey Texas, how did you get the front dot to fall out? I was thinking of blacking it out with a magic marker anyway. I emailed Dawson today to see if they are making, or can make replacement sights for the Shield. Will reply back here when I hear from them. I like Dawson sights on my other pistols.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    It happens sometimes. I've had that happen on HKs before.

Mine is in there pretty good. In fact, the front white dot gets covered in gunpowder easily. I've had to clean it out a few times now.

Just get some white acrylic Testors model paint. And a needle. Dip the needle in the paint, and let ONE drop fall off the needle into the depression.

I've had to do this on other guns.

Practice a few times getting just 1 drop off before you actually do it

Dorianjgrey

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Richardson
    I've got 1800 rounds thru my PM9 and just hit 1000 thru the Shield 9mm... Both are great. Shield wins the trigger contest for me by several country miles... But the Kahr has a smooth trigger, the break just isn't defined enough for me. That said, I expect for defensive use that the long travel, no firm resistance trigger of the kahr is superior to the short travel, little take up, crisp break Shield. The Kahr is a wonderful easily concealable pistol which I would trust my life to. And (in a remora) it fits into jeans my wife approves. The shield is better at the range, but takes up more space on the hip. While I much prefer to shoot the shield over the PM9' neither is perfect. Yet.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Well, the gun doesn't seem to like 147 grain ammo very much at 20 yards. It was noticeably more accurate with 115 grain ammo.

The front dot already fell out ... LOL. Oh well, excuse to get some night sights.

The same thing happened the first day I shot my full size M&P 9mm. I am putting an RMR on it so the sights don't matter much.

I am putting XS Big Dots on my Shield.

I was banging away at steel at 50 yards out at BOTW with my Shield. I love it, but I hadn't tried any 147 grain ammo through it. I will have to test that.

9mm_Man

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2012
    SW Missouri
    I have a new Shield and an M&P 9c with Meprosight tritium sights and an Apex trigger kit. With 300 rounds now thru the Shield, I can tell little difference between it and the 9c. I have small hands and the Shield is already my EDC since it just seems to feel better. I thought the missing front sight paint remark was interesting - I had the same issue on my 9c right after I got it.

luckycheetah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Houston
    Just joined the site, and hello to everyone...Regarding the PM9 (I realize this is about the 9mm Shield) but I like the M&P .40 Shield better than the 9mm, the grouping is great shooting free hand - left or right handed firing.

itzpookiie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    houston
    awesome handgun
    no bite at all for a subcompact
    have the g26 and shot the pm9, pf9, and lc9
    mp shield is much more comfortable to shoot than any of those

beardking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    I have a new Shield and an M&P 9c with Meprosight tritium sights and an Apex trigger kit. With 300 rounds now thru the Shield, I can tell little difference between it and the 9c. I have small hands and the Shield is already my EDC since it just seems to feel better. I thought the missing front sight paint remark was interesting - I had the same issue on my 9c right after I got it.

How does the Shield compare to the M&P 9c as far as size goes? I have the M&P 9c now and I really like it carry it daily in a pocket holster (yes, I said I carry it in my pocket). I've been considering getting another carry gun that is a little smaller than the 9c because sometimes the 9c just doesn't fit well in the pocket of certain pants or shorts that I have.

Rentz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    Dfw
    i still cant find one to get my hands on. like to get a feel for it compared to the pm9 or g26.
    thinking if its comfortable its going to replace one of those.

Top Bottom