• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Please don't let this degrade into an argument on pit bulls, but instead focus on not only the good that was done by a CHL holder (saving the woman's life) but also the pro-gun stance of the SAPD spokesman!

Cheers! M2

Man Shoots Dog Ending Attack

A man shot and injured a pit bull that attacked a woman on the West Side Wednesday morning.

Around 8:15 a.m., a man driving in the 900 block of North Zarzamora saw a woman on a bridge struggling on the ground with a white and tan dog, according to San Antonio police. The man, a local business owner and concealed handgun carrier, stopped his vehicle, parked and fired several shots, striking the dog, said Sgt. Devon Lambert.

The woman, 58, sustained bites to her head, neck and face, Lambert said. She was taken to Christus Santa Rosa Hospital with injuries not thought to be life-threatening, thanks to the man who shot the dog, police said.

“If he hadn't come along,” Lambert said, “it could have resulted in her death.”

The shooter saw a third party in danger and acted, Lambert said, adding the incident appeared to be an appropriate use of a concealed handgun.

A bloody trail led police to a nearby auto repair shop, where the pit bull had limped and sought shelter in a back lot. Animal Care Services officials picked up the pit bull, which lost a significant amount of blood but was able to walk.

Police said the dog did have a collar, but officers hadn't been able to find its owner. Because the dog was loose, the owner could face a citation if found.
    Lynx Defense

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    matefrio

Good point, it wouldn't matter if this was a Chihuahua, the animal and its owner should be held accountable for the former's actions if it attacks someone!

I just wanted to focus on the postitive aspects of the report, that being a CHL intervened in a life-theatening situation of a stranger and probably saved her life! It is yet another piece of fodder in the public campaign in support of firearms. Too often we see the negative aspects of guns...robbery, murder, etc; and rarely does the media take such a pro-gun stance. Often it simply chooses to ignore such comments as the SAPD spokeman's, but this time they included them which I see as being noteworthy!

So a small-but-decision win for the pro-gun community, and kudos for the TX CHL holder who intervened to save the life of a stranger!

Cheers! M2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Houston
    I've always wondered how difficult it would be to shoot in that situation. I'm not an awful shot but it seems that it would be quite challenging to be accurate in all the commotion.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    I just sent the reporter a note of thanks explaining her article was linked and being discussed here. She wrote back asking for a link. She may be joining the discussion.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Not like the dog or the woman would hold still while you aim. But good that all worked out well (or as well as could be expected given the circumstances).

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think it'd be difficult, but given the gravity of the situation, any hesitation or no-action could result in an innocent person being significantly injured or possibly killed. I'd make whatever attempt I could to scare the dog off, but some situations you unfortunately have to shoot it. I certainly am not going to go wrestle with a large aggressive dog.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've always wondered how difficult it would be to shoot in that situation. I'm not an awful shot but it seems that it would be quite challenging to be accurate in all the commotion.

Close the distance first. I could imagine running up, kicking the dog off the person being attacked and then engaging.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Watched a little bit of the KENS12 local news this evening, they covered the story with an interview with the same SAPD spokesman. It was all very positive as well, noting how the CHL holder saw the dog attacking the lady and stopped to save her life. Not a single derogatory gun comment in the entire segment, I was very impressed!

Cheers! M2

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    ..fired several shots..

I understand the dog was biting the woman, but thank goodness none of those shots hit the woman. Ill assume that he was up close to where he had a good angle so she wasnt in danger from the bullets. But a very great outcome none the less.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Absolutely. I hope they find the owner and hold him accountable, but in that neighborhood, I have my doubts...

ABSOLUTELY!
    It's the owners fault that animal had to be shot & suffer as long as it did.....no way it should have been out loose running around.
    I certainly hope he receives a HUGE fine!!!

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    ABSOLUTELY!
    It's the owners fault that animal had to be shot & suffer as long as it did.....no way it should have been out loose running around.
    I certainly hope he receives a HUGE fine!!!

Zarzamora is The Barrio. Pits in most of the front and/or back yards, crime everywhere and English isn't the primary language. Betting the owner doesn't get found. Same neighborhood had a hit and run fatality last week with no arrests yet. Looking for a Crown Vic with limo tint and 20's. The neighborhood knows and won't give it up.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Same neighborhood had a hit and run fatality last week with no arrests yet. Looking for a Crown Vic with limo tint and 20's. The neighborhood knows and won't give it up.

Likely doesn't narrow the search a whole lot. Probably several vehicles match that description on every block in the barrio. Same here in H-town.

Top Bottom