Guns International

SA drivers no longer responsible for paying for those pesky lights on their vehicle.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    It looks like this was approved by city council a few months back, but today was the first time I heard about it....

If you are going to be driving around SA and you notice a break or headlight out, you may want to just keep it that way as the city will now be paying for those replacements. Apparently it's too much to ask a car or truck owner to set aside a few dollars a month for the most minor of repairs in SA. :facepalm:

https://www.ktsa.com/san-antonio-becomes-first-texas-city-to-launch-lights-on-campaign/

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Just FYI - Replacing headlights aren't such minor costs anymore. A lot of the LED ones are a sealed unit - not just a bulb replacement. They're $500 apiece in just parts for my car.

And, on some models, it requires a lot of disassembly to replace. To get to the headlights on my wife's Traverse, you have to go through the wheel well.....stupid Chevrolet....

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Sounds like SA got themselves a Hunter Bifen wanna-be. Whose kid is it?

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Just FYI - Replacing headlights aren't such minor costs anymore. A lot of the LED ones are a sealed unit - not just a bulb replacement. They're $500 apiece in just parts for my car.
    and often a multi hour job to replace.

That aside, if you can't afford to maintain and repair your vehicle, maybe you should have Uber on your speed dial.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    I can see a black market in headlight vouchers springing up, maybe even fake vouchers.
    Will illegals be coming from Methico just to have their headlights replaced, or to smuggle new headlights back to Methico?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.

While that may be, and I'll be honest I wasn't aware of that some vehicles where that high these days, this policy is aimed at low income folks who more then likely can find a replacement for under $50 (and that's being liberal) for their particular models.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Sealed LED lights also should not need replacing for the life of the vehicle barring physical damage such as a crash.
    Wife’s car is on its oem Xenon blubs from 2013. We have had “lifetime”bulbs for a long time. I’m assuming the same is correct about the newer LED ones.

Then I think about caddy led break lights from the same period and how they are always burnt out. :D

Last edited:

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Entire front clip came off my Trunda to change the bulbs. It was/is a retarded design.
    Not a retarded design. It is that way for a reason.
    For years, auto makers have been trying to take the shade tree mechanics out of the loop.
    Labor intensive simple repairs. Specialized tools, expensive diagnostics just to turn off a warning light after a repair. Just a few of the things that get the end user back to the dealerships service departments. That and accessory sales are what keep the dealerships profitable.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Not a retarded design. It is that way for a reason.
    For years, auto makers have been trying to take the shade tree mechanics out of the loop.
    Labor intensive simple repairs. Specialized tools, expensive diagnostics just to turn off a warning light after a repair. Just a few of the things that get the end user back to the dealerships service departments. That and accessory sales are what keep the dealerships profitable.
    I call that retarded. I’m well aware of why they do it. It’s retarded.

Top Bottom