• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spitfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Dallas
    If you had to choose one. Or you can tell me about your experiences with them. I would usually tell you what I know about both rifles and how I intend to use them, but I don't want to sway anyones opinion. So tell me whatca know. Feel free to suggest any other rifles in the free-$530 price range, that uses .223/5.56, 7.62x39, or .308.

Thanks
    -Spitfire
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd go with the Saiga. AK platform is better than H&K IMO. Even with a 5.56mm, I think it's going to be easier to find magazines for the AK than the H&K, though I'd go with 7.62x39mm for that reason alone.

The CAI rifle has spotty quality. They're all parts guns, unlike the Saiga which is factory.

tx787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    The Saiga is a higher quality gun built in a factory that produces military weapons for a country that loves military weapons almost as much as we do whereas the CAI is a parts gun. The Saiga gets my vote, doesn't mean the CAI is awful though.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    I really like the build quality of the Saiga rifles, but then you have to get various bits to convert them and bring them to 922(r) compliance, while the C93 is already in the proper evil configuration. Mechanically, both are great. Century has been spotty in the past, but I haven't heard anything horrible about whoever they contracted the C93 builds to. If you're going to scope it though, I'd go AK over HK because of the cost of the claw mount.

Spitfire

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Dallas
    I dont intend to convert it. I prefer the look of the saiga over the look of an AK-47. I do intend to buy eight 30rd mags and swap the forend for somthing US made. the SGM tri-rail for the saiga looks light, sleek, and well made. The saiga is a quality AK. Made in the Izmash factory, in Russia, new. Arsenal AKs use them as their base gun do the conversion and slap on their logo, more or less. Plus why does an AK have to be quality...Its an AK.

TxCoyote

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Odessa Texas
    I was going to buy a Saiga until I priced their magazines, the price of the magazines is way high compared to magazines for other rifles. I like the Saiga, a friend of mine has one. It eats any kind of ammo you put in it, Russian steel, Blazer etc. They are pretty accurate also.

WadeP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2010
    San Marcos, TX
    If someone is looking for a semi-auto .223 and they don't want an AR15, I usually recommend Saiga. IMO, Saiga has the Mini14 beat on just about every front except for mag capacity. And if you're looking for a stick-it-behind-the-pickup-truck-seat-and-forget-about-it ranch rifle, the Saiga really shines.

$25 for a factory Saiga mag isn't out of this world. The problem is that the factory mags are limited to 10 rounds and if you convert to hi-cap, you run into 922r issues, which if you're that deep into it, you might as well convert to pistol grip while you're at it. And the factory trigger isn't the greatest.

In the sub-$500 price range, I vote Saiga in all three calibers.

rokoicepick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    San Antonio,TX
    New to this site and just have this to add. Saiga .223 is an excellent low cost fun to shoot and easy to maintain. The C93 is also an excellent fun to shoot although higher cost for gun with almost no felt recoil. Both are accurate. I own both types and give an edge to Saiga as the $ cost is lower.
    The C93 is my personal choice as I like the black gun look. The Saiga is an easier carry as it is lighter, the position of safety on it is awkward when on target.
    Over all it comes down to personal preference.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I thought this was a joke thread at first.

Saiga rifles are brand new rifles that are completely manufactured in the same facility that the Russian AK rifle are. The Saiga shares many parts with the miitary AK. Arsenal Saigas aren't worth the upcharge over the regular import models.

The CAI C93 - Well, first off the fact that CAI (re)manufactured it should give you a clue. The C93 is (re)manufactured here in the US for Century out of cut-up parts. It does not have a milspec barrel. The HK roller locked rifles are precision (you know how Germans are) built, but Century has been known to "grind to fit" when they can't get "precise". While this (usually) doesn't lead to any danger, it does produce quite a lot of wall-hangers.

If it's a .223 you want with mag commonality, get a .223 Saiga with a M16 magazine adapter.

Top Bottom