DK Firearms

Sales tax for doing a FFL transfer is is this correct???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Personally, I think it was simply a matter of someone not fully understanding what was involved. When in doubt, a bureaucrat will always err on the safe side - and I think that's what happened. They were clueless as to what a "transfer" was, other than it was part of a sales process.....and we KNOW a sale means tax, so.....
    ARJ Defense ad

Kiwi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Austin
    Hello Poink 88, I'm about to order a new firearm from out of state for the first time. can you tell me who you use in Round Rock that only charges $10? If I understand it right, I can order a gun from out of state and not have to pay sales tax on it, have it sent to your guy in RR, and only have to pay a $10 transfer fee? Am I correct? Not paying sales tax is a nice way to save so I"m looking for the cheapest route.... let me know?

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    You pay tax regardless now for purchases out of state. I started noticing this when Cheaper than Dirt started hitting me with tax when I bought from one of their warehouses in Louisiana and North Carolina to attempt to avoid the tax. But yeah, 10 bucks? He might start getting business from me if that is the case, the lowest around here is 75 dollars so I just drive the distance to not pay that ridiculous amount.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    You pay tax regardless now for purchases out of state. I started noticing this when Cheaper than Dirt started hitting me with tax when I bought from one of their warehouses in Louisiana and North Carolina to attempt to avoid the tax. But yeah, 10 bucks? He might start getting business from me if that is the case, the lowest around here is 75 dollars so I just drive the distance to not pay that ridiculous amount.

You're paying tax because they have a physical presence in TX.

Tapatalk sent it.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I used to not pay tax, that was the thing. I have receipts showing it and when I looked back at them a while ago I was like wtf? I got taxed for Midway USA as well as a few other places.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I used to not pay tax, that was the thing. I have receipts showing it and when I looked back at them a while ago I was like wtf? I got taxed for Midway USA as well as a few other places.

??? That's a new one. Talk about rendering Midway obsolete. Cause they sure ain't cheap anymore.

Tapatalk sent it.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    Yeah, I bought a hand loader for 45-70 from them about 8 months ago when I first got my Marlin and paid taxes on the damn thing. It's not that I care, it's only a few dollars and isn't a different from me going to the store here and buying it, it's just easier for me to buy online since I don't gotta drive.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

The way they're applying the law now, (and the reason cheaper than dirt charges sales tax) is if a business has a a physical presence in the state they must collect sales taxes.

Since cheaper than dirt has a Warehosue and brick an mortar store in ftw then they charge sales taxes.
    Same reason amazon now charges sales taxes in Texas...

But If you really wanna get worked up? Think about sales taxes on tobacco, there are around 2 bucks worth of taxes on a tin of snuff. Then they charge sales taxes on the 5 bucks. So you're paying taxes on top of the taxes... Then up until last year, they had the state sin taxes written for cigarettes. So there was some grey area in regards to what was the actual taxes on a Tin of snuff.

So the retailers would charge the customer the safe bet, then would turn in less money to the comptroller. Taking a more aggressive tax posture. Bass turds

tmd11111

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    San Angelo, Tx

I just places an order with Midway last week and didn't pay taxes. If your Billing address is in a state where they have a presence then you will pay sales tax for that state.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It's coming to all online transactions. Amazon.com was a test case. The state long ago realized how many folks don't even know about the use tax, and even more don't pay it. They want that money. I would venture a guess that in the next two years, every transaction from an online retailer will be taxed, whether they have a presence in the state or not.

Every time you use your money, they want a piece of the action.

Life has become a paid for experience.....................

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It's coming to all online transactions. Amazon.com was a test case. The state long ago realized how many folks don't even know about the use tax, and even more don't pay it. They want that money. I would venture a guess that in the next two years, every transaction from an online retailer will be taxed, whether they have a presence in the state or not.

Every time you use your money, they want a piece of the action.

Life has become a paid for experience.....................

if they could tax non-presence they would SCOTUS said they could not. They sued Amazon and Amazon agree to start collecting 07/01/2012.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    The Amazon issue came up because Amazon had a warehouse in Dallas. If not for that, the state wouldn't have had a case.

GT Distributors in Austin collected sales tax on a transfer fee from me a few weeks ago. Since they only charge $10, I wasn't going to argue about 81 cents. But it seems the Comptrollers Office is at best giving FFL's conflicting information.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    I don't charge sales tax on transfers.

Of course, I don't usually charge for transfers either.

Not that I have anything against the government forcing me to do their bidding under threat of jail, for no payment (slaverwhat?), but I just adore the concept of the government collecting money as part of other people's work, and then carefully spending it only on those things necessary to the public go..goo...gooddddd...no, sorry, can't go on without laughing so hard I can't type...

Alex

Top Bottom