• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Recently sold our travel trailer and 2004 Dodge truck. Have been looking on Craig's List for smaller truck or full size with smaller V8/V6 engine for descent gas mileage. In my search I have come across many, many vehicles that the price, mileage and condition sounds and looks good in pictures then see the Salvage Title issue. Does anyone know how much damage a vehicle must have to warrant issuing a Salvage Title? Probably 10 years ago we had a 2000 Ford Lariat and was hit on I-20 by a drunk driver. Insurance did not total truck even though damage to repair was over $10K. Local dealer body shop completed repairs and our title remained clean. I see ads that state crap such as "Salvage Title" due to slight damage and replace rear bumper. In my mind........if a vehicle has a Salvage Title.....the Insurance Company would have to Total car and then someone buy car from said insurance company.
    Venture Surplus ad

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    You see it more on loader cars, but it is when the coat to repair damage is more than a certain percentage of the "book" value of the vehicle, or if there is major structural damage to the vehicle rendering the vehicle unsafe eben after repairs are completed.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I might be mistaken, but all the salvage titles I've personally seen came from when the vehicle is sold at a salvage auction. Some weren't in too bad of shape, but were undesirable vehicles. Cars that aren't likely to sell for salvage value + repair cost + profit margin. So they sell at auction, as-is, fixed poorly by lower end shops, and dumped as quickly as possible for a small profit.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    You need to know what caused the salvage title to be issued.....had a friend that bought one "as is", bed was totaled, yanked and replaced it with one from the junk yard, along with the front fenders an' hood - ALL damage was cosmetic. Body shop charges woulda been outrageous, but he found a truck in the junkyard the same color, and ended up with a really nice truck.

One thing - in many cases, insurance companies either won't insure 'em at all, or will only do liability coverage - so watch out for that.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I might be mistaken, but all the salvage titles I've personally seen came from when the vehicle is sold at a salvage auction. Some weren't in too bad of shape, but were undesirable vehicles. Cars that aren't likely to sell for salvage value + repair cost + profit margin. So they sell at auction, as-is, fixed poorly by lower end shops, and dumped as quickly as possible for a small profit.

This is kinda what I thought. Had one person tell me that if a Salvage Title car was repaired with OEM Parts and then pay a fee to have it inspected after repairs.....a Rebuilt Title was issued but no matter what you did a clean title was gone forever. I guess if I found a deal and NEVER planned to resell......might consider buying.

Member2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Austin
    I have a Ford 350 van that was rear-ended by a much larger truck. Although still drivable, the body parts alone rendered it "totaled". After some haggling, the insurance settlement included me getting the van back. I replaced the left rear door (with one the same color from a wrecking yard), the tail light lens, and the bumper with a new OEM take-off I found on eBay. That's it. The large quarter panel that "totaled" it wasn't that bad, only poofed out a little with no paint damage.

That was 3 1/2 years ago and I still drive it every day. My title remains clean and unchanged, since it never changed owners. If I had signed the title over to the insurance company instead of keeping it, then, I think it would have a salvage title if someone put it back on the road.

From what I've read, a salvage title involves documentation of the vehicle being damaged beyond repair and changing ownership, being repaired, then being inspected before the new "salvage" title is issued. I may be wrong, but in any event, caveat emptor :)

Member2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Austin
    Oh yeah, re: TexasRedneck's point, I voluntarily dropped everything but liability and uninsured motorist coverage after the accident, but my insurance company didn't require me to. They were willing to continue full coverage (they didn't have to pay, the other guy's insurance did.)

I'm sure, though, if I had a claim later, they would have denied and refused to pay it based on the history...after all, that's what they do when you try to get some of that premium money back :)

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    It could mean that the car sustained flood damage. One of the real dangers is people that "turn" salvage titled cars into new looking cars do so with the minimum work required to make it look desirable. Underneath the bumper covers there may not be any bumpers, or ones that have already been damaged in an accident and are no longer able to do their job. Most like likely any damage has been cosmetically repaired. Items like airbags normally are not replaced, so buyer beware. Do a car fax on the car to find out the real story, it may be the best $40.00 you ever spend.
    At work a young girl said that there was a Mustang with a salvage title that she was looking at, and asked me what I thought. I told her to walk away, but she bought it anyway. It has not caused her any problems so far. If you ever plan on selling it, plan on not getting anything near what it is worth...
    Good luck.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I bought a 86 Tbird 302. Out a junk yard i was working at. It had been hit in the front end. Pushed both frame members to the right. About 4inches. Had a shop pull them straight. Replace the core support. There was damage to either door. They were gtg.

The front end never even got aligned. Didnt need it. she tracked straight and never scrubbed a tire. This car was loaded out. White on grey interior. Plush seats. 5.o v8. Fox body.

She had a green title.

If she had been hit in the rear? No way in hell. She can get crushed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    As mentioned, cars get 'totaled' if estimated repairs exceed a certain percentage of estimated value of the vehicle.
    I met a guy back in the 90s driving a nearly-new S-10 pickup that had been 'totaled' by getting rear-ended in the bed. He bought the truck for about $600 and drove it home, bought a bed from an older S-10 from a salvage yard for $150, and got a free recall paint job courtesy of GM. Ended up with $750 in a 4.3-powered S-10 pickup with less than 5,000 miles on the odometer!
    Such situations aren't uncommon, a lot of 'stripped' stolen vehicles get totaled when you can get the replacement parts second-hand for far less than the estimate was for new/OEM parts.

Eli

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    but you have to be careful buying vehicles with salvage titles. You need to ask why it has a salvage title. Was it in a flood? etc

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    but you have to be careful buying vehicles with salvage titles. You need to ask why it has a salvage title. Was it in a flood? etc

And then hope what your told is the truth. In my case I just decided that a car with a Salvage/Rebuilt Title is not for me. Don't want one no matter what the story is on the vehicle.

Miloe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    DFW
    Also, expect all of these same questions to be ask of you if you ever try and resell the salvage truck.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Loved the comments about bumpers that won't do their job anymore. Like plastic covered Styrofoam was ever going to "do" anything. Have a '13 import in the shop now. It was almost totaled after being brushed by a forklift. The questionable total came about due to parts availability rather then damage. New model, no used parts to be found and dealer stuff is why they call them "stealers." Find the cars history yourself. The VIN will help. If the seller won't let you have the VIN, you know to walk away, fast. If I were thinking about a purchase that I intended to be long term, I'd consider a researched salvage title. I have a brother in law in California that specialized in mating cars with front damage with rear damaged vehicles. Frankencars. Sometimes if he did the work himself he'd buy them himself drive them for awhile and sell them on. I'd even consider one of those if he did the inspection. If you know the history and can evaluate the repair, there are some good deals.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK

If its been in a flood. Yet is inspect-able, runs just fine, Had every fluid changed. Doesnt smell like lake water and mud. Its gtg.

In the first days of fuel injection, the system wasn't the best at being wet. They've come along way. Things are better sealed. People freak at oil leaks on the ground nowadays. No oil out, no water in( usually).

I wouldnt walk past a flood recovery without atleast a look see. Id rather get a ride with an undamaged structure, to one that only had three tires touching the ground. Before it got repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    You also have to worry about the interior of a flood car. If its not replaced. Mold will eventually grow and smell very badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

SA Justin

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    FWIW, I would stay away from anything with frame damage if I was going to be drivin my family in the car. Even when a frame pulled back into spec, it'll never return to the original strength. For an illustration, stand on an empty soda can. Then have someone put the tiniest little dent in the can and do the same thing. Even if you pull the dent out, you'll never be able to stand on the can again.

Top Bottom