• ...and so much more!
  • Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Howdy!

In antoher thread, someone mentioned Adopting a Highway, in the name of TGT. I was curious, for people more knowledgeable then I, if we had enough people in the San Antonio area, who would be willing to spend time to clean up litter along a highway, somewhere?

My idea is, we can adopt a Highway, and openly carry rifles (any kind), to expose open carry in a positive light to the greater San Antonio Population. As far as I know, it is Legal.

Here is the list on the website, as far as I can tell, for the Requirements:
    "• You adopt a two-mile stretch of highway for a minimum of two years.

• You agree to pick up litter four times per year (more in some areas due to traffic count)

• Adopt-a-Highway signs will be posted with your group’s name at your adopted section.

• Adopt-a-Highway will provide your volunteers with safety vests, litterbags and safety training.

• You bask in the glory of claiming a piece of Texas pride."

Please post here, and I will get a list together.

Does anyone know, if there is a minimum number of people required? Also, any ideal stretches of pavement to consider?

Adopt-a-Highway

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Picking up trash on Texas highways is for prisoners.

Be fair, there are a lot of misdemeanors out there doing their required community service along the highways!

I'm not on board with this one either. It is a great idea, but I see bad things happening with openly carry rifles along the roadways even if it is legal

Also note, according to a city ordinance Sec. 21-16, they cannot be loaded...

Sec. 21-16. - Carrying loaded rifle or shotgun

It shall be unlawful for any person, other than duly authorized peace officers, to carry a loaded rifle or shotgun on any public street within the city or in a motor vehicle while the same is being operated on any public street within the city.

(Code 1959, § 26-28)

Cross reference— Regulation of firearms and weapons, § 21-151 et seq.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Be fair, there are a lot of misdemeanors out there doing their required community service along the highways!

I'm not on board with this one either. It is a great idea, but I see bad things happening with openly carry rifles along the roadways even if it is legal

Also note, according to a city ordinance Sec. 21-16, they cannot be loaded...

That city ordinance is in violation of state law, and unenforceable. You should know that - it's been discussed here before.

However - no, I've participated in those highway cleanups before. Always ends up bein' a few doin' it so many can brag about it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's still a city ordinance, and a person can still be arrested for it...

Absolutely.....but I spent many years trying to get 'em to do just that. They never would. It would've been a very enrichening experience for me, since it flies directly in the face of state law, and therefore is not only unenforceable, to attempt to arrest for it would lead to significant settlements in terms of lawsuits. If I was still in SA, I'd go ahead and set up for it again, just to see if they've gotten any braver.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Howdy!

In antoher thread, someone mentioned Adopting a Highway, in the name of TGT. I was curious, for people more knowledgeable then I, if we had enough people in the San Antonio area, who would be willing to spend time to clean up litter along a highway, somewhere?

My idea is, we can adopt a Highway, and openly carry rifles (any kind), to expose open carry in a positive light to the greater San Antonio Population. As far as I know, it is Legal.

Here is the list on the website, as far as I can tell, for the Requirements:
    "• You adopt a two-mile stretch of highway for a minimum of two years.

• You agree to pick up litter four times per year (more in some areas due to traffic count)

• Adopt-a-Highway signs will be posted with your group’s name at your adopted section.

• Adopt-a-Highway will provide your volunteers with safety vests, litterbags and safety training.

• You bask in the glory of claiming a piece of Texas pride."

Please post here, and I will get a list together.

Does anyone know, if there is a minimum number of people required? Also, any ideal stretches of pavement to consider?

Adopt-a-Highway

I would support TGT litter cleanup and roadway sponsorship completely. Service of any kind brings people closer together in a community. I think the open carry issue should be handled judiciously though. It would be cool to pick a stretch en route to a local gun range-- then we could all keep an eye on it, and after the cleanup, it'd be convenient to go shoot together.

Top Bottom