• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Came home tonight to a busted garage door spring. Already made a couple calls but interested in TGT recommendations. Might be a good time to replace our unit as well, so could get spendy.
    DK Firearms

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    You can buy the springs at Home Depot, just make sure you get the right one and be careful with install, one slip and you have a very messy injury to deal with.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Thanks all. I'm not interested in DIYing the spring replacement. Don't have the time, have the money, and you should google "garage door spring injury" if you like carnage photos.

Called 3 places today (Sunday, so slow) and heard back from Aaron's Garage Door Service. They want $189 to replace the broken spring, and $289 to replace both the broken spring and its non-broken-but-just-as-old sister on the opposite side of the garage door.

We'll see what I hear back from the other places tomorrow. Only going to be in this house another 2 years so not looking to overspend. Tell ya what though, this 1955 solid wood door is doggone heavy. My wife and I could barely lift it off the ground without the spring assist, and we are not peanuts.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    It is always a good idea to lubricate those springs, helps stop them from rusting and thus weakening to the point where they break. You can buy a spray, or get dirty with motor oil for a lot cheaper. $100 is a good price, just paid $135 to get one of the two on my door fixed. PIA DYI job if you don't know what you are doing. If you live near a subdivision that still has homes under construction, stop in and ask the superintendent for a lead. They are generally nice guys who will hook you up with one of their vendors workers that might do it on the side after work for a real good cash price.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    It is always a good idea to lubricate those springs, helps stop them from rusting and thus weakening to the point where they break. You can buy a spray, or get dirty with motor oil for a lot cheaper. $100 is a good price, just paid $135 to get one of the two on my door fixed. PIA DYI job if you don't know what you are doing. If you live near a subdivision that still has homes under construction, stop in and ask the superintendent for a lead. They are generally nice guys who will hook you up with one of their vendors workers that might do it on the side after work for a real good cash price.

Or better yet catch the garage door guy and see if he wants a few extra bucks.

Top Bottom