• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    Any thoughts/recommendations? I've only been to one - Bracken Range, and would like to try some other ones. A Place to Shoot looks pretty decent, at least on their website.
    Texas SOT

Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    I live in north-central SA, so Bracken is the closest. But I'm willing to drive. I may check out A Place to Shoot this weekend.

Red78

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    San Antonio
    I'm not crazy about Bracken, either. I may be willing to drive to Dietz - it may be as close to me as A Place to Shoot. Plus, I like going to New Braunfels. May even move there in a few years. I see you are a member of the Gruene HOG chapter. I'm a member of the Alamo chapter here in SA, own a 2009 Road King FLHR.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Cool - I ride a '07 Ultra. Dietz is pretty laid back. Like most, they have a "no rapid-fire" restriction, but I had to take my 10-22 gatling out to test fire recently after doing some adjustments to it. They were cool about it - told me to keep it down to 1 round/sec. Ran 15-20 through it, Range Officer came by and looked at it, told me to go ahead and crank it up for a few if I wanted/needed to....and then tried a few rounds for himself!<G>

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    It's been a couple of years since I've shot at A Place to Shoot, but their rifle range was lacking, in my opinion. There is no way to change your target, and the targets they use are lime green ink on manilla paper. This just about disappears in the bright daylight between your sights. The handgun range is decent. Haven't tried the skeet.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If you have a DoD ID card of any sort, then Camp Bullis is the place! Unfortunately, it is only open on the weekends; but it is the best and cheapest range in SA.

Avoid the Bullethole at all costs. I have witnessed more safety violations there than any other range I have ever been to, and am surprised that more people aren't accidentally shot there! Plus, they have some real jerks/idiots working there!

Azurlia

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    San Antonio Texas
    I've been to A Place To Shoot twice in the past week. They have a nice rifle range; 25, 50, and 100 yard targets, divided concrete shooting benches with sturdy rifle rests (although incompatible with anything with a pistol grip, when I took my P308 there to shoot it would totally not work with their rests so had to make do with a rickety pile of sandbags.)

Pistol range is nice too, completely covered, and they have a gravity controlled pistol target system; tricky to learn, but allows you to place your target wherever you want. Very handy.

I'll definitely be going back once I get a proper rest for my rifle.

Azurlia

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    San Antonio Texas
    Also, a question for anyone who has visited the Blackhawk Shooting Range outside SA:

I notice from the photos of their rifle stations that there does not appear to be any dividers of any sort between stations; is flying brass from semiautos ever a problem to neighbours?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Never had a problem with it there, but I've never been there when it was crowded enough to be an issue.

However, I have been to Bullis when it was; and they have sliding dividers that work very well! Usually the RSOs prefer that you leave them open, so they can see up and down the range; but if you ask they normally will let you close them.

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom