San Antonio Gun Show at Freeman Coliseum (March 26 & 27, 2011)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    If I don't get some more sleep this week, there's a chance we won't be going. It's been a rough seven days for reasons I don't want to go into...
    But Sarita's might be an option, thanks TRN. Two questions...are you sure they serve breakfast, and are we gonna see ya there?

Cheers! M2

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yes, they serve breakfast. That I'm gonna be there...NOT sure yet. That "new" F450 I'm picking up today has to be paid for, an' so unless I get a major repair done on a customers' ranch Friday, I ain't leavin'. So if we get done, ah'll be there. If not, I'll be workin' to finish it. They pay well, but they can't be without water.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    OK guys, were going to be at Sarita's Restaurant (3023 South WW White Rd) tomorrow (Saturday) morning ~0800/8:00am for anyone interested in joining us.

I'll be the tall, military-looking guy most likely in shorts and wearing a sage Molon Labe t-shirt, and I'll have an equally-tall redheaded kid in need of a haircut talking my ear off. It shouldn't be hard to spot us!

We hope to be at the show when it opens at 0900/9:00am in case anyone just wants to meet there.

Cheers! M2

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I'm up in the air for Sarita's. Coming from San Marcos, that's a bit out of the way if I'm headed to Freeman.

...but maybe. I'll see how I feel in the morning after tonights' drunken debauchery and revelings.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yeah, while it's only 5.2 miles from Freeman (via E. Houston to WW White); it's past the direction we'll be coming as well. I hope this place is worth the extended journey; and unless someone has a better suggestion, it's where we'll be heading!

Cheers! M2

Trueno

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2008
    Golden Triangle
    M2, thanks for the link from theAKForum.net, headed that way to help a vendor so hopin' to make it to SA by 7am or so and in the door by 8am. Thanks and hope to see some fellow AK owners there.

t

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I cannot tell a lie.....woke up at 6, planning on going - but gotta tell ya, my tail is draggin'! Worked on 6 systems down in South Texas Yesterday, and the heat an' dry really sucks it outta ya. I'm only now beginning to feel like a human - so looks like I'm gonna miss it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Max nix, TRN, we didn't make it either. The wife had surgery a little over a week ago, and woke up this morning at 4 feeling really bad. It was over an hour before her medications kicked in and she could get back to sleep, and I wasn't going to leave her to go to the show.

We're gonna try to check it out a little later today, maybe early this afternoon. It'll all depend on how she feels when she wakes up.

Sorry to anyone who was looking for us at Sarita's, we really had intended to go (my alarm even went off); but I'm sure you understand why we didn't make it!

Oh, and there will be more opportunities to attend this show in the future, they've posted additional dates for 2011:

July 23 & 24, 2011
    September 17 & 18, 2011
    December 10 & 11, 2011

Cheers! M2

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Hope she gets to feeling better, M2! Mine has informed me that Seguin is having their "market days" today, and that we ARE going....<sigh>
    That's funny (sounds like my girlfriend, to be completely honest).
    Too bad it doesn't ever work the other way around, huh? ---> "There's a gun show today, and we are going."

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Max nix, TRN, we didn't make it either. The wife had surgery a little over a week ago, and woke up this morning at 4 feeling really bad. It was over an hour before her medications kicked in and she could get back to sleep, and I wasn't going to leave her to go to the show.

We're gonna try to check it out a little later today, maybe early this afternoon. It'll all depend on how she feels when she wakes up.

Sorry to anyone who was looking for us at Sarita's, we really had intended to go (my alarm even went off); but I'm sure you understand why we didn't make it!

Oh, and there will be more opportunities to attend this show in the future, they've posted additional dates for 2011:

July 23 & 24, 2011
    September 17 & 18, 2011
    December 10 & 11, 2011

Cheers! M2
    Sorry to hear that. I sure hope she's feeling better!
    I - obviously - didn't make it out to Sarita's either. I was out fairly late last night, and went to bed even later. So 7AM wakeup was a no-go.

I'm fixin' to head out in a few minutes though. Then I need to be back in town by 3. My dad's 72 today!
    ...maybe I could get him another gun.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    That's funny (sounds like my girlfriend, to be completely honest).
    Too bad it doesn't ever work the other way around, huh? ---> "There's a gun show today, and we are going."

Oh, she's MORE than a "sport" about my gun addiction, trust me! There ain't too many wives out there that's let a feller buy a SECOND 72x41 safe because the first one is full.....an' it's very possible that ah'll talk her into goin' over tomorrow to the show w/me - she likes 'em, too!

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio

July 23 & 24, 2011
    September 17 & 18, 2011
    December 10 & 11, 2011

Cheers! M2

I hope your wife gets to feeling better, I know what you mean about not wanting to leave them alone when they don't feel well. I sold my Harley when my wife couldn't ride any longer after she was rear ended in the car we had. She hasn't been the same since, and has days still that she really hurts. Again, hope she gets to feelin' better.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Well, some good news all around!

First, we appreciate all the kind words, and my wife is feeling much better. I knew it would only be a matter of time but there is no way in hell I am going to leave her on her own while we went to the gun show (well, her mother is here; but she was sleeping in the guest room upstairs).

Secondly, we did make it to the show and it was pretty good! Sure, there were a lot of vendors that you see a the SAXET shows, but there were a bunch of other sellers there that we haven't seen before and a lot bigger selection of firearms and accessories than SAXET. I saw several AKs that I hadn't see at shows before, such as a SAR-2, a SAR-3, and a couple of Zavasta PAPs; plus there was a guy from Houston with a lot of AK accessories to include bakelite magazines. His prices weren't the greatest, but it was interesting talking to him.

On the negative side, I didn't like being fleeced for five bucks to park (I have DV tags on my Jeep, but it'd suck down more gas than that so it's easier to take the Toyota and pay it). We also got fleeced on food--four hot dogs and a soda for $17.50! Give me a break, but when you're hungry you'll pay those prices. There's still all the usual non-firearm tables selling all kinds of crap, but by ratio no more than any other show. It was a bit more pricey to get it ($7 with the coupon is a few bucks more than it should be, but I did notice they were giving guys military discounts but not in conjunction with the coupons), but considering that is what the TGS shows charge and they are a mere fraction of the number of vendors it is a much better deal

But on the positive side, it was even bigger than the SAXET show and as I said, there were a lot more vendors. Also, since the Expo Hall behind Freeman is bigger than the SA Event Center, they spread everyone out a bit more making getting up and down the aisles a lot easier. It wasn't quite as crowded as the SAXET shows, but that could have only been the impression since there was more space to move around. Finally, the promoter got smart and made sure there was an ATM machine in the hall. Sure, there was a small line to get to it, but it's nicer than not having one available like it is at the SA Event Center. When I bought my SAR-1 at the last show there, I had to walk to the other side of 410 to get to a cash machine.

Overall it was a pretty good show and we'd go again in the future. I didn't buy much, just some Polish swelled AK-47 handguards and a pistol grip that were really nice looking for $40. There were other things I might have considered, but I still have to pay income taxes and I just had a Tula M44 that I bought off a guy in Michigan
    delivered by the postman about ten minutes before we left for the show! By the next show I might be tempted, there were some interesting firearms that I would consider adding to the collection if the opportunity arises!

Cheers! M2

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    I got out there about noon, and stayed till just after 3. They sure had a lot of stuff to oogle! I highly recommend to anyone who didn't go to go tomorrow.
    MMM is right about the usual vendors that sell "other" crap. Strangest vendor I saw there - someone selling 800 thread count sheets!
    The prices for food and drinks are sucky, at best. Best to fill up before you go there so you just have to spend $3.00 on a soda. Parking is $5.00, and it's $8.00 to get in if you don't have a coupon (go to the site in post 2 of this thread to print that coupon).
    Also, the cops "disarm" everyone going in. So don't be offended when you have to unload and let them place a little plastic tie around your gun (am I the only one who found this hilarious?).
    Nice selection of guns. Some humorous prices. And quite a few id-jits handling weapons there. One guy at this one table muzzleswept me and the whole damn gunshow while he was looking at something he probably had no idea about.
    Anyways - great show! Go enjoy if you haven't already.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Major Max,

Similar circumstance, here, and I know how difficult spousal surgery can be. (I hope it was done at BAMC, where my wife got a level of care I not thunk possible).

Any how, I got thrown out of the house today: She said, "Leave me alone, go to the Gun Show!"

My impression is very much like yours:

The "core" SAXET vendors were there, plus many more from parts up north and elsewhere.

I noticed that many of the "core" vendors lowered prices due to competition. (I even overhead one of the "core" gun vendors complain to another at about 11:00 AM that he had not yet "broke even)."

Most notably, this show had none of the "flea-market" feel of previous San Antonio Gun Shows, nor did it have the "feel" of being a rip-off.

Methinks, the Fort Worth organizers have hit on a successful business model that will forever change the landscape of San Antonio gun shows. Who knows what the SAXET and TEXAS gun shows will do. We now have a viable alternative with competitive prices.

It is a good thing that we now have a show that brings to us things that in days past we would have had to go to DFW or Houston to see.

Be well.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Shortround

I do hope you are correct in that this will be a catalyst to the other gun show promoters to "up their game." I see SAXET being able to respond, I don't know about Texas Gun Show as it is my belief that operation is being run on a thin string. It will be interesting to see how the next SAXET show will change at the beginning of April, considering the success of this show and the fact that many of us will be seeing "the tax man cometh!"

Hopefully things can and will get better. I almost see this being the only show we go to on a regular basis. We are getting a bit burned out on the monthly SAXET show, it's not bad but there are so many things that could be better. My purchase last month left me with both positive and negative feelings toward it, the positive being that I found a nice rifle at a decent price but the fact that I had to trek all the way across 410 to get to an ATM machine to get the cash for it being a big negative. Parking is another Achilles's heal that the SA Event Center needs to sort out right away, it is causing a lot of people to pass on the shows there and for good reason.

I hope someone from SAXET is listening. As for Texas Gun Shows, other than their Floresville event that we attended a few months back, I have always been less than impressed with that outfit. I've gone to their shows up in Live Oak, when they were over off of Evers Road here in SA, and even to one up in Austin and all have been underwhelming. Actually, the Floresville show was just average, but compared to their other shows it was actually decently run. Either way, now with this big show they had better get their act together quick, or they're doomed to simply fade away unnoticed...

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    In a nutshell (and no, I'm not talking about Skeeter! ), I would say it is better than the SAXET show. Read some of the previous posts for some insight, but I would say it would easily be worth the drive from Austin. Heck, it's not that much farther than what we drove to get there!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom