• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Looking to dive feet first into Sausage making. I have a little experience from working at my schools processing plant, but that was a few years ago, and on a big scale with industrial equipment and supplies. I have about 12 deer worth of hams and misc parts to grind mix and stuff.

I am looking for advice on equipment and other stuff. Do you have a brand to stay away from? Favorite recipe that you are willing to share, long shot? Favorite thing to mix with venison like pork or what ever? Learning points? Or just any other advice, jabs or run aways.

From my research so far it seams people are pretty happy with what ever grinder they pick. I have looked on Amazon, Cabelas, Norhtern Tool and a few other sites.

The grinder I'm thinking about going with is the STX International STX-4000, all 5 star reviews on Amazon and comes with a lot of attachments.

I'm thinking of going with one of the 11 pound stuffers and a 20 pound mixer.

Thanks in advance
    Capitol Armory ad

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Cool deal. We had a meat processing facility in high school. Brought live animals in the back and sent processed and packed meat out the front. Great experience!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More schools need this kind of thing, not to derail my own thread, but I went to a vocational high school, I think there should be more.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Look at Lem stuffers, they have all metal gears

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

Bearles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Alvin Texas
    I forget the models. But I have the mid range LEM grinder and the 5 lb sausage stuffer. And off the shelf jerky gun from Academy and dehydrator. There are a lot of misc accessory's you might have to purchase depending on what you want to make.
    My self, I am still kinda new to this so take what i say in stride.

With the above mentioned I was able to make several flavors of ground jerky using the dehydrator.

I am also a HUGE chilli fan. My family loves it! I will coarse grind a brisket along with alot of other meats Normally about 20 lb's of meat when I get done.

have made everything from breakfast sausage to polish and andouie.
    Made polish Hot dogs from sheep gut and never tasted the 1st one. 5 dozen were gone in 2 weeks.
    I have made beef sticks from pepperoni to hot and spicy with the same tools. One I didn't mention is having a good smoker.

It's alot of fun, but you have to have patience.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    I forget the models. But I have the mid range LEM grinder and the 5 lb sausage stuffer. And off the shelf jerky gun from Academy and dehydrator. There are a lot of misc accessory's you might have to purchase depending on what you want to make.
    My self, I am still kinda new to this so take what i say in stride.

With the above mentioned I was able to make several flavors of ground jerky using the dehydrator.

I am also a HUGE chilli fan. My family loves it! I will coarse grind a brisket along with alot of other meats Normally about 20 lb's of meat when I get done.

have made everything from breakfast sausage to polish and andouie.
    Made polish Hot dogs from sheep gut and never tasted the 1st one. 5 dozen were gone in 2 weeks.
    I have made beef sticks from pepperoni to hot and spicy with the same tools. One I didn't mention is having a good smoker.

It's alot of fun, but you have to have patience.

Chili, good idea, going to have to save some for that.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Really the best venison suasage I have had ha very little other added meat. Just enough pork or beef fat to keep it from being dry. And not over seasoned. A lot of people put so much seasoning you can't taste the meat.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    1d80b5ae9ecfe0e182e3b45aa5df4664.jpg

Well 200 lbs later......good times, wore out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I use a LEM stuffer, get the one with the biggest hopper you can
    Use only real hog casings. No bicycle tubes for my product
    I use Morton cure because I smoke for 3-4 hours before packing and sealing
    when I'm done its a fully cooked product but it is important to cure for safety when smoking with cooler temps.

My receipe is for a 70/30 mix of venison/pork
    makes a great breakfast or dinner link. Goes great with anything
    SU1BRzA5OTkuanBn_zps02c5945b.jpg

Top Bottom