ARJ Defense ad

Savage Stevens 320 - no parts, but what's compatible?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    Couldn't pass up the deal I found on this NIB Stevens 320 a while back, but now I am looking to replace the forend and fixed stock with something more ergonomic in the front and adjustable in the rear.

I have heard different things, that a Win 1300 and Rem 870 parts are "compatible". Some people say 870's fit with no modification needed. Other's say 1300 parts fit perfectly in some places, but some other places require small modifications of just trimming away some of the forend to fit properly.

Anyone have experience with the 320 and modding it to their liking?
    ARJ Defense ad

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX

I have read that post before posting here on TGT, the last activity on it is almost 2 years old. I am looking for some sort of how-to, not just an "I cut this whole here and that one there" thread. People say they trimmed parts, and cut parts.. but not where, and that's what I am looking for.

Also being that this model has been out for quite some time now, I am wondering if there are any bolt-on options yet that don't require modification.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I am looking for some sort of how-to, not just an "I cut this whole here and that one there" thread. People say they trimmed parts, and cut parts.. but not where, and that's what I am looking for.
    Sorry it doesn't meet your standards of detail, but that's all I could find. Someone has to go first, so perhaps it's a sign that you could experiment and write one? ;)

NTMock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Hockley, TX
    Sorry it doesn't meet your standards of detail, but that's all I could find. Someone has to go first, so perhaps it's a sign that you could experiment and write one? ;)

Don't get me wrong, thanks for your reply. Maybe you are correct.. time to ask the lady if she doesn't mind me spending money on research & development. Haha.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    I've had to hack on my own guns, sometimes with ugly results - but it's been some comfort to know that the experiences have helped other folks down the road when I've seen the comments a few years later :D

That said, think it through first and go slow - you probably know the old truisms already:

"Measure twice, cut once"
    "Modify the cheapest part if possible"
    "You can remove metal or wood, but it's hard to put it back"
    etc

Good luck! Here's one I wrote about 4 years ago, mistakes and all:

AndyC said:
    I have a Rock Island Armory Tactical 1911 - and wanted to replace the front sight with something serrated and with tritium, so I bought a Novak front sight about 8 months ago, assuming that everything I'd read was correct ie. that the dovetailed cut in the RIA slide is a Novak cut.

BZZZZT! Not so!

After a local smith battled to install it and gave up, I did some comparisons and found that the RIA has a proprietary dovetail cut. It's the same base-width and angle as a Novak cut - but it's about 10-15 thou deeper than normal. This means that the underside of the sight-blade knocks against the slide when trying to drive it home.

I did some calculations regarding isosceles trapezoids and figured that I could actually make it fit by filing one side of the front sight to make it narrower - which would have the effect of raising the sight relative to the slide-cut. The side-effect is that it would leave a small gap between the slide-cut and the underside of the Novak sight - not wonderful, but overall a small issue in the larger scheme of things.

So eventually I girded my loins and did it last night - it was a learning experience indeed. One thing I learned is that I need a 3-corner file with 1 safe side - by filing the side of the sight, I also cut into the underside of the sight-blade a wee bit. Oh, well - live and learn; I drilled a 1/16th hole into the slide to pin it in place with the roll-pin included with the Novak sight. It's pretty darned solid.

Another thing I re-learned is - measure twice, cut once. The hole I drilled for the roll-pin is a few thou' off to the left of center - but I can move the rear-sight to compensate.

I haven't shot it yet, but here are some pics:

14vr68n.jpg

Below shows the gap under the sight which I mentioned - what I failed to take into consideration was that I would also be filing against the underside of the sight-blade - idiot that I am :banghead: :
    2wgc112.jpg

oqkj7r.jpg

Next up will be to shoot it - proof of the pudding and all that - but hopefully this will help anyone else who owns one of these pistols and despaired of getting a decent front sight installed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom