• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Ft. Hood/San Antonio
    I just baught a mossberg 500 pump shotgun from a local pawn shop for a pretty fair price. It is a pistol grip model however it comes with the 28inch barrel. my guestion is if i sawed it back to 19 inches would this have any negative effect on the gun compared to buying a new 18.5 inch barrel? also besides sawing it off at the 19 inch mark with a hack-saw is there anything else i should do? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    ARJ Defense ad

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That shouldn't affect the gun at all, as it is a replacable barrel. A new barrel will have a bead front sight and be a clean cut, but it shouldn't shoot any different.

Does your barrel have a rib on it? That may pose a problem to get a clean finish on it. If not, cut it and deburr the cut, and patch the cut with some Cold Blue.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The end of a modern shotgun is tapered into a choke that improves the patterning of the shot. 'Course it sounds like you just want something that throws lead in a general direction. I wouldn't take a hacksaw to something I valued. I've seen it done - most horribly on an A3-03 - and it brought tears to my eyes.

But, it's your shotgun - do as you will.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Ft. Hood/San Antonio
    Well, something a little more precise then a general direction. I baught it because it was a pistol grip shotgun which is something i have been wanting for a little while. They are pretty handy in tight places and the ones i shot i could place number 4 buckshot into a pattern the size of a mans chest at down the hall distance. And thats all i want this one to be able to do. Now just because i am contemplating taking a hack saw to the barrel dosnt mean i dont value the shotgun, i was just curious as to what the effects would be. Obviously i wont be shooting rounds of skeet or dove hunting with a pistol grip shotgun. It just seems to me it would make more sense to saw the 28inch barrel down to the length i want and have to do a little fileing and deburring then to go buy another barrel for it. And btw, it is a ribless barrel.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    texascop2 is it a bad idea because of a legal issue or a bad idea because it wont shoot right?
    So long as you keep it 18" or longer, there's nothing illegal about it.

As has been mentioned, cutting it off is going to play hell with the patterning at any distance.

I believe they sell new 18¼" barrels for $99 at Academy. One of those and a beater stock, and you have a hunting shotty and a HD gun as the mood strikes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Ft. Hood/San Antonio
    But how come sawing off the barrel messes up the patterning on the shotgun?

Even if i saw it back to 19inches? If the cut is squared and deburred i just dont understand why it wouldnt shoot as good as a replacement barrel

What am I missing?

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    texascop2 is it a bad idea because of a legal issue or a bad idea because it wont shoot right?
    bad idea because it makes your gun worthless if you ever want to sell it, it wont pattern correctly, and it looks like crap.
    I agree with the above post. Buy a $100 bbl and have a multi purpose gun that still has some value.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, but yeah - cut the barrel and forget having any value retained. Buy a short barrel, and you've got a dual-purpose shotty with some value.

Many years ago, I cut down an old shotgun with a pipe cutter. Took my time, managed to luck out and get it done square, deburred an' cold-blued it and ended up selling it to a neighbor that was having some...ah, "issues" with some idiots trying to visit his business after-hours. Last I heard, he still had it.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    But how come sawing off the barrel messes up the patterning on the shotgun?

Even if i saw it back to 19inches? If the cut is squared and deburred i just dont understand why it wouldnt shoot as good as a replacement barrel

What am I missing?
    It doesn't matter how pretty you make it. As has been stated, factory barrels all have some degree of choke in them. If you saw yours off, it won't have any choke at all.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    My 500 came with both barrels and a pistol grip and stock. The short barrel has practically ZERO choke. The spread is HUGE with the short barrel. If you want to shorten yours, take it to a machine shop and have them cut it and finish the cut. I'd bet you aren't out more than 25 bucks and it will be a professional looking job. Once it's done, you can stand the barrel on end in a dish filled with about 1/16th inch of with bluing and finish off the end nicely.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Should've mentioned/confirmed the above - cutting the barrel makes it LOOK "bad" - but the pattern is a pure crap shoot. Mine opened up to the point that beyond about 15-20', you'd be lucky to count on hitting a target. Since it was for strictly close-quarters, it was okay - but yeah, it made me nervous in terms of any kind of accuracy, which was why I gladly sold it. As noted, those last few inches are what makes the barrel aim true and hold any kind of pattern.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    LONG ago, I cut down a 28" Mossberg full choke barrel to 18.5" for a friend using a pipe cutter, some emory cloth and cold blue and was actually really pleased with the results. He wanted a beater to keep under his bed to shoot across the room or down the hall. Worked great for that, held an adequate pattern to 15 yards. Mossberg factory barrels have short forcing cones right in front of the chamber, so you are essentially giving yourself a cylinder bore in lieu of a choke.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Like the others said buy the replacement barrel and sell the 28" barrel to recoup some of the difference. Someone is always looking for another barrel and the Mossberg is a popular gun.

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    You might find someone that would want to swap barrels, that way you don't kill a perfectly good 28" barrel, but still get what you need without having to cut.. Just a suggestion.. That 28", if in good conditon, is probably worth more than an 18.5" ...might be something to look into...

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    500s are pretty cheap. I would buy a regular stocked 500 with a short barrel, and switch the barrels. You could always sell the field gun and not lose to much money on the deal. I think you could lose less than the $100 for just a new barrel.

That being said, I would probably cut yours off and be done with it. You have heard the consequences, so make your decision. It isn't like it is an expensive gun with a fixed barrel. Just out of curiousity, what did you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?

Top Bottom