APOD Firearms

SAXET gun show - review - is asking how many guns you sold a rude question?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well glad to hear, I know it's none of my beeswax, but I still want to know. And thanks for telling me either way. Good info.

I don't get it, why do you get to be an ass but I don't? You were clearly wrong and correcting you make me an ass? What's with you guys?

Because you posted about wanting information from vendors that's absolutely none of your business, then whined about the price of admission to a show. When I tried to point out some of the overhead you tried to teach me about what "costs" were. I've been in business since 1976 - and worked in my family's business since the early 60's. A cost is a cost - and revenue is revenue. You can break it down any way you wish - but anything that detracts from the bottom line is cost/overhead. Rather than engage on that basis, you chose to attack over what something should be classified as.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    They were good until the mid oughts.

Great prices on ammo and other cool stuff.

But since Obama they suck. I’ve been twice.

Thought about going just to get out of the house. Plus my grands have worn out the toy guns I bought them a few years ago. But I know better than to expect any kind of bargain. Especially in these times.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Well glad to hear, I know it's none of my beeswax, but I still want to know. And thanks for telling me either way. Good info.

I don't get it, why do you get to be an ass but I don't? You were clearly wrong and correcting you make me an ass? What's with you guys?
    Hold over from when selling 10 or more guns per year required an FFL- BATF sometimes has agents walking gunshows... so I'll answer that I sold 9 firearms in 2023. My generation does not consider telling someone to mind their own business or to stay in their lane to be wearing an asshat. I seriously do not want to offend anyone here so if you want an apology, here is one freely given.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So I spent the rest of the time asking a question I was genuinely curious about - how many guns have you sold? I was not trying to tick anybody off, I was really curious about this, because tables weren't cheap, and they gotta consider their profit margins don't they? Well, very few wanted to answer me. The biggest table Americana Arms just said I don't have time to answer your question, and the small private tables would say, "no comment or something of that sort." Out of the 7 or so tables I asked, only 3 answered, which leads me to believe that:

" I don't have time to answer your question"

8 words when he could have answered with 1. Irony not lost.

Talk about the worst answer he could give. Welcome to the Gun Store Commando, someone who works harder to not sell guns than to actually sell them.

So question of the day - was asking people "how many guns did you sell?" a touchy subject?

No not at all. But gun shop folks are not exactly people people, so they do not know how to handle it.

Was it rude like asking a woman's age? Please educate me on this social norm, my autism may be getting the better of me. Why did people often refuse to answer?

All in all, the SAXET gunshow was a great place to take a girl on a date, but not really to buy anything.

Trip 2:
    A couple months later, I went again to buy the pocket holster I liked and some ammo.

When I walked in, I presented my unloaded carry (Kimber Solo) and they zip-tied it for me. while walking around with the gun case, I was approached by two others asking if I were selling. Maybe Kimbers were in demand?

No they were looking to see if you were desparate to sell and could get a deal.
    Last table was just a random small private table selling some jerky and had a couple boxes of ammo. $280. I asked if we could lower it to $250, and the guy at the table said, "they're not mine, I'm just helping a friend sell." I told him to call his friend. On the phone, he asked for $250, friend said no and then he hung up. Wow what a goof, didn't bother to ask 260 or 270. So he had to call again, and reask, and the friend really didn't want to lower the price. So I asked, "how many boxes have you sold this weekend?" none "There's only 2 hours left until this place closes and it's Sunday." They agreed, and I only got it down to $270. I really didn't want to leave empty-handed because I had no ammo left at home so I took it for $270... $13.50/box, not great, but better than $16/box minimum at any of the gun stores like Sharpshooter or pawn shops.

So I got this homemade bulk ammo that came in a bag and I picked up used boxes at the range to organize them by 50s. I got 500x 115 gr and 500x 124 gr. It was the first time I ever experienced jams haha, Had about 16 jams in 750 rds so far, 10 of them from the jammomatic Kimber solo. I don't think I'll get this again. I'll let them continue failing to sell until they finally lower the price.

But you saved $10!

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    Because you posted about wanting information from vendors that's absolutely none of your business, then whined about the price of admission to a show. When I tried to point out some of the overhead you tried to teach me about what "costs" were. I've been in business since 1976 - and worked in my family's business since the early 60's. A cost is a cost - and revenue is revenue. You can break it down any way you wish - but anything that detracts from the bottom line is cost/overhead. Rather than engage on that basis, you chose to attack over what something should be classified as.
    wanting information from vendors - true
    whining about admission - no, you imagined this
    definition of costs - we're not gonna agree, no point in going over this again.

Sold anything yet?
    good one, well I haven't posted a classified yet, but I'd be happy to tell you if I did or not. Right now the answer is "no". tbh, I kinda want to keep the gun I was thinking of selling. haven't even shot it yet.

PastorGman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2022
    San Marcos, TX
    If I'm not mistaken, I went to a gun show in San Marcos, TX that was charging $20 to get in. I like the one in New Braunfels. I typically go in and see who is walking around with a sign indicating they are selling their firearm. Saw a guy carrying a K-31 in New Braunfels and had owned about 5 or 6 of them in the past. I heard the guy trying to sell it to a vendor but the vendor was lowballing him. I walked up to the guy and made him an offer, walked to the ATM (another rip-off at gun shows) and gave him $250. Got a K31 with all matching numbers including the magazine. So when you go to gun shows look for the folks walking around selling their personal firearms.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    If I'm not mistaken, I went to a gun show in San Marcos, TX that was charging $20 to get in. I like the one in New Braunfels. I typically go in and see who is walking around with a sign indicating they are selling their firearm. Saw a guy carrying a K-31 in New Braunfels and had owned about 5 or 6 of them in the past. I heard the guy trying to sell it to a vendor but the vendor was lowballing him. I walked up to the guy and made him an offer, walked to the ATM (another rip-off at gun shows) and gave him $250. Got a K31 with all matching numbers including the magazine. So when you go to gun shows look for the folks walking around selling their personal firearms.

Paid $110 for mine.

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    That's awesome you were able to find a good deal. I'm sure once in awhile that exists, but I wouldn't say it's a reliable occurrence that anytime you choose to pop-in, a good deal like that is to be found. But I guess that's what makes it exciting. Congrats, did you try it yet?

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    So when you go to gun shows look for the folks walking around selling their personal firearms.
    There are dealers in the San Antonio area, who have walkers that go out, and try to sell guns to unsuspecting attendees,
    and also try to buy...
    Watched it happen through most of last year.
    I have no doubt that it's happening at other shows in the area.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    There are occasional deals to be had but the good ole days have definitely passed. You're typically going to get a better deal from an individual rather than a large company. I read through this whole thread and have to agree there's nothing unusual or specifically whiny about your post. Sounds like mostly straightforward curiosities and just like you I might ask how's business been rather than ask for a sale count.

Now I go to a gunshow mostly as a tire kicker and to BS with vendors. I will usually bring some cash in case a deal arises. Years ago
    I unloaded several bricks of 22 ammo to vendors. Still worth a visit on occasion but only if parking is free and the entry is $12 or less.

alterspaces

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    Now I go to a gunshow mostly as a tire kicker and to BS with vendors. I will usually bring some cash in case a deal arises. Years ago
    I unloaded several bricks of 22 ammo to vendors. Still worth a visit on occasion but only if parking is free and the entry is $12 or less.
    Hey thanks for your input and objective reading of the facts. So many here won't wake up the next morning unless they convince themselves that someone is trolling. I think how you go about gunshows is pretty reasonable, now that I've seen what they're like.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I go for entertainment. A gun show costs about as much as a movie with snacks, occupies about as much time, and requires about as long a drive. My interests are broad enough that I usually leave with at least one small bargain from a gun show.

Top Bottom