• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • softest_voice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    United States
    Like the title says, was thinking of hitting up the SAXET show at the Travis Co Expo Center tomorrow afternoon sometime, but can't figure out what the fees are.
    Their website frustratingly lists TABLE fees, and nothing else. Nice.

Haven't been out to one since they moved from N. Lamar, and I seem to remember a $7 door charge. Just don't know if that's the case anymore.
    Also, Expo center likes to charge for parking. Is there a parking fee for the shows?

Who's been out there? Any info would be great! Thanks guys!
    Lynx Defense

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    In the past it's been $2 to park and $5 admission. I think the parking fees go to benefit one of the local town's police departments (maybe Smithville?).

It's usually a decent show. Go and have fun!

WickedCricket

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Texas
    Wouldn't bother IMO. Also just in town like you and thought I'd hit it up. $7 bucks for parking and entry fee, which they don't even bother to mnetion on their web site. No written directions so I spent almost an hour and a half trying to find the stupid place. I'm not from austin so I was using my phone to get directions or a map and their web site listed no written directions and google maps would't load. After all that found the place paid my $7...should have gone to cabellas. No entry fee, clear directions on their site, and even though some of their guns were a tad over priced, I would have had more fun. Sadly I'm done with saxet, third show in as many towns and I'm not impressed. Others may disagree and that's fine it's only my opinion anyway but it wasn't worth the hassle and wasted gas IMO.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Solid observations. Will never again spend money for diesel, parking, and admission to attend THAT show.

The one in San Antonio, although in an "iffy" part of town, is usually good to go.

Plus, SAXET has a far better number of vendors in SA than in Austin.

It is sad SAXET lost access to the SA Airport Convention Center (sold and razed for a Motel). That was the best of all local shows in the last 15 years.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I went this afternoon and it was somewhat of a disappointment compared to the last couple of shows. Not quite as many vendors as last time, but enough to make it worth the $7 and certainly more enjoyable than driving to Cabela's.

Oh well, that's all we get in Austin and the next one isn't until August, so what are you gonna do?

Randman

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I went both days, and I haven't done that in a looooong time.. Very productive show for me, I walked around and sold 5 guns! Only spent like $30 on crap, $20 for Jerky of course, and $10 on a hat. Last one for Austin until like August, so I'll be making the trek down to SA for the next show..

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    I went after lunch today and was totally UNimpressed. Prices seemed higher than what I saw recently at the Live Oak or Alzafar shows in SA. Ammo was priced higher than most retail stores in Austin. Did meet a fellow from PBR ammo selling reloads at a reasonable price and he had a good selection. Picked up some .38's, but he had just sold out of 9mm's. Best part is that they are located in Buda, so I can get more without going to SAXET.

no cigar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    It's a shot in the dark but did anyone see who it was that had a baby desert eagle at their table? It was on the arena floor towards the back on the right side. It had a bluish/gray sign that was like 'street' or 'speer' arms etc -- I know they also had a table on an endcap that had a bunch of Stag Arms AR-15s on it. I didn't get their card or info but wanted to contact them about the pistol. Thanks!

Brandon

softest_voice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    United States
    Sorry I can't help ya Brandon. Think I know the booth you were talking about, but they weren't pushing anything I was looking for! :D

Spent maybe an hour out there Saturday afternoon, didn't find anything I was looking for. Mainly just trying to snag a few add-ons for the Ruger scout rifle I picked up recently, but nothing out there really worked. And yeah; prices seemed kinda high. I used to like the shows because I could get stuff at a pretty good discount. Seemed like everything there was "normal" price. Meh.

Oh well, killed some time and got to play with some stuff. Can't complain! Probably just stick to internet shopping in future, though.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Where else can you fondle 100's of guns for $5.00? Buying on the internet is one thing but I've bought many guns sight unseen but seeing them in person and getting a decent price too is where its at.

Cabellas annoys the pi55 out of me. All the guns are under glass, take a number, beg for someone to wait on you, etc.

I enjoy gun shows and I will occasionally buy guns from dealers at the right price too. Prices on rifles I was interested in were at or below internet pricing. I don't mind paying the sales tax because that's what keeps the great state of TX moving. I sold a pistol too. A pistol I advertised for a couple weeks here and on TGT. I got my asking price too. So, make up your own minds about the Saxet Austin show. I'm glad it's available. The next SAXET show is in August because the turnout has been low. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the norm now, which is a shame. San Antonio is a heck of an expensive drive from my location in far north austin even the shows are better down there.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    It's a shot in the dark but did anyone see who it was that had a baby desert eagle at their table? It was on the arena floor towards the back on the right side. It had a bluish/gray sign that was like 'street' or 'speer' arms etc -- I know they also had a table on an endcap that had a bunch of Stag Arms AR-15s on it. I didn't get their card or info but wanted to contact them about the pistol. Thanks!

Brandon

Sparks? They always have a bunch of Stags, at fair prices.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Well? What? if any unusual guns were there? No guns going off? Any Chinese norinco's? ak's? Details people I need details!!!!!!!!!!!! Part of the gun buying panic is there arent any deals nowadays plus a weak dollar/bad economy. Last show I went to was in?? feburary? I bought that saiga 12 for 650.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    To each his own, and I know it depends on what you're looking for, but I don't get the constant complaints about prices at this show. I'm not going to name vendors but do you guys just skip over the first big table on the right as you walk in? Or the long table on the left of the floor that starts just after you come down the stairs? They have a decent selection including STI's and Walther's that you don't see very often anywhere, and as best as I could tell they were at least as good as internet pricing on most things. For better or worse, that's as good as you're likely to get right now. One had a Ruger LC9 with laser for $399 ($339 without, but they didn't have any left), and one had a Walther PPS for $529. Cabela's website lists the same guns as $449 and $589 - ON SALE!

Yeah, there are some overpriced vendors. But you don't have to buy from them. How hard is it to walk around for half an hour and take a couple of notes?

Sorry to hear that turnout has been low. As I mentioned, this weekend's show was disappointing compared to the last couple we've had, which have been packed and had more vendors. Of course, this alleged low turnout didn't seem to spur anybody into dealing that I saw. One ammo guy wouldn't even come off his price on 500 rounds enough to save me the tax, and another guy wouldn't even knock $1 off the price of a gun case even though I bought two. Oh well.

Anyway, it's hard enough getting away for a couple of hours when it's in Austin - I'll be lucky to talk my way into 3/4 of a day to go to San Antonio once a year. I hope we don't lose Saxet.

softest_voice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    United States
    Sorry guys. Just for the sake of clarity, I was NOT pricing any firearms this time out! :D
    Like I said, just extra stuff like mags, slings, cases, etc. Oh, and optics.

So, consider that your "grain of salt" warning regarding my opinion!
    Ammo, however, I did price. That seemed about level or slightly above internet pricing in most instances, so kind of a wash there.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    I was primarily talking about gun prices. I would agree that prices for accessories and extras aren't usually that good. I buy most of that kind of stuff at Academy.

Also agree about the ammo. With the possible exception of the reloading guy from Buda previously mentioned, ammo prices aren't usually much better than Academy either, or on-line. But you have a better chance of finding a bulk deal (not this past weekend, but sometimes).

There is usually a vendor that takes up nearly a half-row on the floor that has a lot of mags, slings, scope mounts, and other miscellaneous stuff for all kinds of rifles. I was hoping I might see some knick-knacks for an AK I bought last month, but he was one of the guys that didn't show up this time. He might have had something for your Ruger.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom