• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's kinda like treasure hunting - you gotta turn a lot of stones to find the gold. I didn't find anything, but did sell my Benelli within 30 minutes of walking in the door, and a buddy found a nice pair of Blackhawks. The guy offered a decent price, and my buddy asked me my thoughts. I looked at the seller and told him for $50 less he had a deal - done. Everyone left happy.
    Guns International

jsimmons

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I was severely underwhelmed. Empty tables, and entire section un-used, and the crowd was weak. Maybe it's because Christmas is right around the corner.

Oh yeah - the best "deal " I found was a place that had a show special on the RRA national match FCG for AR-15s for $109, and that's not really that good of a deal. And ammo prices are out of this world at the gun show - even reloads are going for more than full retail price of factory ammo.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I was severely underwhelmed. Empty tables, and entire section un-used, and the crowd was weak. Maybe it's because Christmas is right around the corner.

You're right, it wasn't as good as previous shows; but having recently got to several other shows in the area (to include the SAXET show in Austin), I can tell you that it's still the best one around! Heck, even the big Houston show two years ago (touted as the largest show in Texas) was disappointing; so while this month may have been a little smaller than usual, that still won't stop us from going back...

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    We should really get some sort of group together to petition the event organizers to SPACE THE TABLES FURTHER APART! Sheesh, they had that entire back section empty and they still chose to leave about six feet between the tables. Even my nine year old son had a hard time getting around!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Honestly, I doubt that is going to change. They moved to the new venue to accommodate a larger number of vendors; and with the exception of this past weekend's show, for the most part the facility is full. I would expect it to return that way in a month or two, once the holidays are over; and considering that SAXET's profit comes from not only the entry fee but also the vendor's paying for their tables, they'll want to squeeze in as much as possible...

That's another reason why we go early on the first day, the crowds are smaller and the selection better. Of course, if you go towards the end of the show on Sunday, you might be able to get better bargains!

Cheers! M2

Matthew2000tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Helotes, TX
    My wife made out better than I did. I just got some snap caps. She got Jewelry and a carry purse. But seriously I wasn't impressed with the show. We wanted to see a PX4 Subcompact and compare it to a glock 26. It took us forever to located a px4 Sub.

We'll the Glock 26 wins in the how does it feel category. So that will most likely become my wife's carry weapon.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    The last Show we had out here, some dude was selling crotch holsters! He was giving infomercial style demonstrations and everything! Little kids were pointing and laughin at em. The girls next to him couldnt sell their fudge because people were avoiding the jerk. Everytime someone walked by he started shoving holsters down his pants! I wanted to slap the shit of that idiot!

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    The last Show we had out here, some dude was selling crotch holsters! He was giving infomercial style demonstrations and everything! Little kids were pointing and laughin at em. The girls next to him couldnt sell their fudge because people were avoiding the jerk. Everytime someone walked by he started shoving holsters down his pants! I wanted to slap the shit of that idiot!

The Pager/Cell Pal guy?

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Those were once known as Pager Pals (I think now it's Cell/PDA Pal), and they are the biggest pieces of crap around! I can't believe they can still hawk them at the shows.

I almost fell for their snake oil demonstration when I first got back to Texas after being in gun-free Belgium for three years, thank God I hesitated and wanted to do a little research before buying one. Turns out I have several buds who offered to give me theirs for free, as they had bought them then realized they were the most ridiculous things around. Yep, most wanted to simply give them away just to be rid of them.

About the only time one of those would be handy would be when reciting the classic Blazing Saddles line..."Excuse me while I whip this out!" :p

Honestly, I'd like to give the guy demonstrating that junk a swift kick in his junk just to see if his "Pager Pal" will prevent the pistol from blowing his 'nads off!

There is some serious crap being peddled at these shows, but this has to be one of the worst...

Cheers! M2

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I had to do a double-take on the "CHL Badges" - I mean, REALLY??? Maybe next show we need to take turns going up and asking a ton of questions, then tellin' them that they're totally nuts....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just a reminder that the SAXET gun show is this weekend (1-2 Jan) in San Antonio at the SA Event Center (410 & Marbach). Doors open at 9:00am on both days.

Yep, it's on New Year's Day, so one might expect a small crowd. One could also expect that a lot of folks will be broke because of the holidays, so those of you that have some money to spend (in other words, no me!) might be able to wheel and deal some bargains. Then again, maybe you won't!

Either way, it's always a fun way to spend a few hours, and for those with hangovers it is a nice, quiet way to pass the morning (just make sure you're not still drunk before driving there!).

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom