• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    In case you didn't know already, the big monthly SAXET gun show is this weekend (Feb 5-6) at the SA Event Center (8111 Meadow Leaf, basically 410 & Marbach).

Doors open at 9:00am both Saturday and Sunday, entry is $5/person and parking is $3 (you can avoid paying by getting there early).

There are two restaurants withing walking distance for breakfast, IHOP and Apetito's Tex-Mex.

The remaining 2011 show dates are:

Mar 5-6
    Apr 2-3
    Apr 30-May 1
    Jun 4-5
    Jul 2-3
    Aug 6-7
    Sep 3-4
    Oct 1-2
    Nov 5-6
    Dec 3-4

Cheers! M2
    DK Firearms

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Have not missed a SAXET show in twelve years, but for weddings, funerals, and the obligatory trip to Florida for Christmas.

Airport Convention Center, Freeman Coliseum, Alzafar, and now, the SA Events Center in Gang-Bang central.

Some might remember Gun Shows down-town many years ago at the Henry B. Gonzales Convention Center, but the city council got politically correct in the Klinton and Cisneros era, IIRC.

We will be in deep cover, wearing jeans, sandals, and nondescript ball caps.

But, I still want to know why SAXET posts a 30.06 sign at a gun show.

See ya there!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Dang, it was crowded this morning! We got there early, as usual, when I realized I had forgotten my wallet (also not unusual). I dropped my son off at IHOP to meet our friends and sped home to grab it. I was able to get back in about 25 minutes, and if anyone was run off the road by a speeding blue Jeep, I apologize!

We got into the show about ten minutes after it opened, thanks to the ineptness of the two young ladies running the cash register at IHOP; but there was almost no line so we went straight in. I had thought that there may be a reduction in vendors due to the bad weather we had yesterday, but it appears that every table was full. The show got crowded quickly, to the point where it was not only hard to move forward, but it also made it tough to see what was on the tables. We couldn't find one of our favorite vendors, he only had two or three tables and if he moved to a different area of the show, then we missed him; but otherwise it appeared everyone had a full set of wares on display.

We didn't buy much, I got two S&W MP 15-22 magazines for a buddy of mine from a guy who always is a great source of parts; and I picked up a Russian badge for a beret I have. I've got a Spetsnaz uniform inbound and needed headgear to go with it. Otherwise, we looked at a couple of AK bayonets one guy was selling for $15, but they were missing the rubber bits on the scabbards and I can get complete ones for $10 when my missing favorite vendor is there. There were a few other odds & ends that caught my attention but nothing that got me to part with my hard-earned cash.

So basically it was the typical SAXET show, just more crowded than usual. I did notice that Saiga-12s jumped up in price, and one vendor had a "one-per-customer" limit. AK prices in general seem to have risen a bit, but I think much of that has to do with the paranoia after the Tucson shootings (as the recently-released ATF study has done to the Saiga shotguns). Ammo prices appeared to have increased a little as well, I think.

Any fears I had of vendors not attending were unfounded, and even though I had to run home to grab my wallet I was still able to park for free at 8:20. Speaking of which, the fee to park is still only $3, not $5 as someone told me (again, get there early and save a few bucks!). When we left around 11:00 there was a line out to the access road to get in, as was one to get into the event itself. I guess folks wanted to get out and do something today, and a lot of them picked the SAXET show as that thing. I'd be interested in hearing if it was still busy later today and/or on Sunday.

Cheers! M2

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Ya ain't woofin' on the crowds!! Took the grandson along, grabbed breakfast w/the youngest boy (made him take a break from keepin' the unwashed masses of Leon Valley safe and join us), then boogied over. Sold the S&W 15-22 before we even got inside.

Needless to say, grandson saw any number of guns he thought I should own, but we managed to leave without spending any money, other than for some dental picks an' hemostats.

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    Man it was crowded--wife and me got there around 10 and there was a line of cars, once we got parked there was maybe 15-20 people in line to go in. We stayed a couple of hours trying to get close to some of the tables (hard to walk there was so many people there). Did buy the wife a .38 lite weight wheel gun and thought it would only be right if I bought me something to, ended up with a RIA compact 1911. Hopefully get to shoot both tomorrow. Wife didn't complain at all, a good thing. When we left around noon there must have been 100-150 people in line to get in. Crazy!!

John

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Because having loaded guns around when everything is presumed unloaded is kind of unsafe.

Kind of unsafe? It either is or is not, IMHO.

That's why I asked the question. Columbine, Virginia Tech, and other crowded places were presumed to be safe zones, but in the end were not. I understand that firearms on vendors' tables should be tied, especially at a show where ammunition is sold, but why should my pistol be, or why should I have to leave it in my vehicle where it is subject to theft?

When was the last time a CHL holder had a negligent discharge at this show? And if just one did, is that justification enough to put all CHL's in the unsafe category? Just asking.

Hypothetical: Some nut case starts shooting at a packed venue like the SAXET. How does that end when the CHL's have been effectively disarmed at a gun show of all places?

I saw two fellows leave the show, un-holster their weapons, cut the cable ties off, insert magazines, and chamber one round each on the way to their cars.

Just seems to defeat the purpose of our CHL.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Ya ain't woofin' on the crowds!! Took the grandson along, grabbed breakfast w/the youngest boy (made him take a break from keepin' the unwashed masses of Leon Valley safe and join us), then boogied over. Sold the S&W 15-22 before we even got inside.

Needless to say, grandson saw any number of guns he thought I should own, but we managed to leave without spending any money, other than for some dental picks an' hemostats.

Did you buy the picks and hemostats from a guy who had those and a bunch of Dremel stuff and a few ultrasonic cleaners?

Kind of unsafe? It either is or is not, IMHO.

That's why I asked the question. Columbine, Virginia Tech, and other crowded places were presumed to be safe zones, but in the end were not. I understand that firearms on vendors' tables should be tied, especially at a show where ammunition is sold, but why should my pistol be, or why should I have to leave it in my vehicle where it is subject to theft?

When was the last time a CHL holder had a negligent discharge at this show? And if just one did, is that justification enough to put all CHL's in the unsafe category? Just asking.

Hypothetical: Some nut case starts shooting at a packed venue like the SAXET. How does that end when the CHL's have been effectively disarmed at a gun show of all places?

I saw two fellows leave the show, un-holster their weapons, cut the cable ties off, insert magazines, and chamber one round each on the way to their cars.

Just seems to defeat the purpose of our CHL.

I don't know the last time a CHL had an ND at a gun show. I do know that there have been gun show NDs, some fatal.

"Kind of" because it honestly depends on the people involved. All it takes is one person to get lax with gun handling around all those unloaded and zip tied weapons...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    "I do know that there have been gun show NDs, some fatal."

When, where, and under what circumstances?

We surrender our liberties anytime other people decide what is best for us.

I take no offense until such time that another breaks my bones, takes my money, or stifles my liberties.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    As noted by others, SAXET was packed! Live Oak Convention Center... not so much.

Anyways, finally got around to selling my older Glock 19 at SAXET. Didn't end up buying anything but admission.

-Randy

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio
    Crowded! Couldn't even see the price tags at the distances I was standing at. Went in looking for a tactical rail mounted light but couldn't find anything in the sea of Chinese knock offs. Got some good Jalapeño chip dip mix though!

W

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I went today, scored some new grip screws and bushings for my 1911. Also got some flight gloves for $10. Sweet.

"I do know that there have been gun show NDs, some fatal."

When, where, and under what circumstances?

We surrender our liberties anytime other people decide what is best for us.

I take no offense until such time that another breaks my bones, takes my money, or stifles my liberties.

I haven't kept track of them, but the first one I heard of was back about twelve years ago now. So, yes. They do happen.

fatal negligent discharge gun show - Google Search

As far as your liberties, these shows are put on by a private company on private property. They have the right to dictate the terms you enter and remain. If I don't like it, I can choose not to go, I can complain to the organizers/property owners, etc.

Yeah - back in the back corner....

I saw him, wasn't the guy I was thinking of. I know the guy that sells them at the Texas gun shows.

Blackboot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Schertz
    Not impressed. Yeah, lots of neat stuff, but I go for mostly two reasons, certain types of ammo, and C&R guns. Looking at the newer stuff, parts for AR's, and new ammo, prices seemed a bit steep. Most times I looked at their prices and they were 30% higher than retail. I'm used to gun shows being the place for bargains. Oh well, saw a lot of neat antiques and got to play with some guns I was interested in but hadn't had the chance to handle yet.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Nothing personal to anyone, but I'm always tickled about folks that don't see what they're looking for. Try collecting some of the guns I look for....Randalls. I've found TWO in all my years at SA gun shows - and we're talkin' like over a 25-year span. That and a Savage 99 in .303 Savage - took me almost 20 years to find THAT one. Yeah, it can get frustratin' - but to me, there's a lot of fun to be had in the hunt itself.
    Lately, I've had a hankerin' for a 629 snubbie, and been trying to find a Beretta 96 Inox Compact.....

Top Bottom