• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    "possession or use of firearms, imitation firearms, explosives, ammunition, hazardous chemicals, or weapons as defined by state or federal law on University premises or on any property or in any building or facility owned or controlled by the System is strictly prohibited unless authorized by the Vice President for Student Affairs and by federal, state, or local laws;"

That is my schools policy.
    Venture Surplus ad

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    "possession or use of firearms, imitation firearms, explosives, ammunition, hazardous chemicals, or weapons as defined by state or federal law on University premises or on any property or in any building or facility owned or controlled by the System is strictly prohibited unless authorized by the Vice President for Student Affairs and by federal, state, or local laws;"

That is my schools policy.

If your school is private they can put up 30.06 according to the more popular version of the bill.

Your argument against CHL on campus has been refuted by a previous poster. People carry all the time in populated areas and sloppy shoot-outs do not occur.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    The benefits of an armed public are non circumsantial. You can play the what if game all day. Crossfire is a problem I would rather have than get shot.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    Like I said, I know I am going to get flamed, but its my opinion and I am entitled to it. I stand by my previous concerns and have not wavered from them.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Well than you shouldn't carry in a classroom. You shouldnt take my right to defend myself away just because you are uncomfortable with it.

Just because you are afraid of friendly fire are you willing to just give a killer a shooting gallery? Are you willing to give away the chance for any resistance?

I'm sorry but your opinion sucks. You are absolutely entitled to it though.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I am merely concerned about the well being of others. I hold qualifications for handguns, trust me, I know where my rounds are going. But not all college students have that same accuracy. am I for CHL? absolutely. I carry every day in my vehicle, but to me, this seems like a recipe for a lot of problems.

My opinion may suck, but i have the balls to say it against those who I know do not agree. I stick by it

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Well I oppose anyone that wants to strip my right to defend myself no matter what the organization on the building represents.

mdehoogh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    DFW
    I'm not arguing about the ignorance of most college students. There was a guy in one of my classes last semester that didn't even realize it was legal for anyone except police to carry guns. However, just because a lot of people are idiots, it's no excuse to disarm those of us that aren't. If we had constitutional carry (anyone who can legally buy a gun can carry it) then I might have more reservations about allowing them on campus with such a high population of younger people. At ~$250-$300 plus 10hrs of class and a 4-6wk turnaround, a CHL is a decent sized investment that a typical, firearm-ignorant, cash-strapped student isn't going to make.

Statistically, a few of us CHL holders accidentally shooting each other is still better than allowing the active shooter to go about his/her business.

Also, Utah and Colorado both allow concealed carry on campus and have yet to have any problem. Perhaps it's the thought of an armed resistance that has dissuaded the nutjob's from shooting up lecture halls.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I agree with the large investment of the chl. I however believe that constitutional carry would still make schools safer. What about those students that know guns and want to protect themselves but can't afford the class? Most people will decide not to carry.

I'm not arguing about the ignorance of most college students. There was a guy in one of my classes last semester that didn't even realize it was legal for anyone except police to carry guns. However, just because a lot of people are idiots, it's no excuse to disarm those of us that aren't. If we had constitutional carry (anyone who can legally buy a gun can carry it) then I might have more reservations about allowing them on campus with such a high population of younger people. At ~$250-$300 plus 10hrs of class and a 4-6wk turnaround, a CHL is a decent sized investment that a typical, firearm-ignorant, cash-strapped student isn't going to make.

Statistically, a few of us CHL holders accidentally shooting each other is still better than allowing the active shooter to go about his/her business.

Also, Utah and Colorado both allow concealed carry on campus and have yet to have any problem. Perhaps it's the thought of an armed resistance that has dissuaded the nutjob's from shooting up lecture halls.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have been thinking on this a lot tonight, and all of you make valid points. I think that if it was to be allowed, I would carry as well. I guess I just worry about the worst case situation.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Exactly, anyone can dream up horrible occurrences. Good job really giving it some thought. I just hate legislating people out of defending themselves where criminals don't have the slightest regard for the law.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I have been thinking on this a lot tonight, and all of you make valid points. I think that if it was to be allowed, I would carry as well. I guess I just worry about the worst case situation.

Most people are idiots. This will be true anywhere you go. It is not more true on a College campus than it is at the supermarket or local mall. The Liberal argument of "what if everyone started shooting each other?" has been proven baseless by years of CHL carry without such incident. The average 21 year old College CHL holder will not be more irresponsible than the average citizen not attending a College. And, even if he were, frankly, it would be none of your business, unless he actively put an innocent in danger. Sometimes a little risk is the price we pay to live in a free society.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    Most people are idiots. This will be true anywhere you go. It is not more true on a College campus than it is at the supermarket or local mall. The Liberal argument of "what if everyone started shooting each other?" has been proven baseless by years of CHL carry without such incident. The average 21 year old College CHL holder will not be more irresponsible than the average citizen not attending a College. And, even if he were, frankly, it would be none of your business, unless he actively put an innocent in danger. Sometimes a little risk is the price we pay to live in a free society.

I now agree, your argument made very valid points, and I appreciate it bringing it to my attention. I plan on supporting this bill and hope it passes. Sometimes it just takes some new logic and an open mind to see what should really be done! Thanks guys

SiscoKid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SE TEXAS
    I have a story (naturally) about a situation that happened in this town some 15-20 years ago.

Late one Saturday night at a local Jack-in-Box drive thru, a guy got upset about his order taking too long. He started mouthing off, booze talking I suppose. Just so happened an Off-duty cop was in the line too. He came over to quiet the guy down. The guy jumped out, pulled a gun and pointed it at the cop. The cop was on the right side of his vehicle, pulled his out too. They proceeded to "shoot it out". Apparently shooting and ducking, about 8' from each other, they shot numerous rounds before the cop finally wounded the guy.

The point is, just because there is shooting going on, that don't mean someone will always die. We only see the situations in the paper where someone is killed or severally wounded. Spraying and praying don't always "mow everyone down".

I have said this before. If I was a college student today, and I had a CCW, I would carry onto the campus. It's what is meant by the word, "Concealed". When I have to save my life or someone else's, then they can fine me. Afterwards.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    If your school is private they can put up 30.06 according to the more popular version of the bill.

Your argument against CHL on campus has been refuted by a previous poster. People carry all the time in populated areas and sloppy shoot-outs do not occur.
    Yep. We need to eliminate this "policy" nonsense and leave 30.06 as the means of prohibiting an effective means of self defense as is everywhere else. Should a non-student have to stop and search or study a school's policy or handbook before coming to campus for a casual visit?

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Happened to me on a Sunday afternoon in College almost 25 years ago. I was at a McDonalds at College when this guy comes in screaming for a hamburger. He came up behind me and punched me in the ribs. I made it outside and grabbed my pistol .44mag. This is where you check yourself. I noticed everyone left the building while this guy proceeds to demolish the restaurant. No one was in immediate threat of being killed because he was the only one in the building. The police station was about 3 blocks away.. I drove to the station and they said they were already there. (Yes, this was before cell phones). The guy was on PCP and went to jail. I got a free drink and McDonalds paid for my Xrays... Point is even before CHL most of us are not out shooting on a knee jerk response. Oh by the way I called the police station that night and they released that guy because of jail over crowding..

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yep. We need to eliminate this "policy" nonsense and leave 30.06 as the means of prohibiting an effective means of self defense as is everywhere else. Should a non-student have to stop and search or study a school's policy or handbook before coming to campus for a casual visit?

A non-student is unaffected by a school policy or handbook.

Top Bottom