Hurley's Gold

SCAR 17s optics - your thoughts please...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks to our own Koinonia I'm now the proud owner of a SCAR Heavy - I'm also OLD and need some sort of magnifying optic.
    Reading past posts on Arfcom etc. I should spend many thousands of dollars on an Elcan or Nightforce or whatever that fancy $3.5K Leupold is called.

I would like to have something that won't break, even if the SCAR is VERY light in the recoil department.

Emergency homestead defence, fun plinking and hog hunting ....what would YOU put on this rascal :deadhorse:MP

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I put a Bushnell Tactical Elite 6-24x50 on mine with some A.R.M.S. rings. It is FFP and a great match for the rifle. Bushnell # ET6245

Last edited:

T-FAST

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Only need to answer 1 question, what kind of shooting are you gonna do with the gun. Either way my suggestion would be for any one of the 1-4x or 1-6x scopes

T2_Tactical

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2014
    That's a tough one, the SCAR has a different cheek weld position. For the look, I went with an Eotech and a Magnifier on mine, but an ACOG, or Burris Tac with FFII would also be nice.

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Thanks guys, I have a Burris LRS? that's doing nothing right now so when some taller rings get here I'm going to try that just to see if the power is sufficient for my ageing eyes then I'll probably upgrade to the Nightforce, USO or maybe an Elcan - anyone used an Elcan much?

Delta4-3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2014
    Arkansas
    Im a huge USO fan. I have the SR-6c on my AR's, but just got to demo the 1-8...and started wishing I had money to buy a few, let alone one!

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I like variable power scopes. 3-9, 4-12, 1-6. Whatever you like.
    I shot my buddies new optics from primary arms (red dot and 4x) good price and looks more at place than my big ass scope, but at 50yds I can see his bullet holes, while shooting his - the dot covers the bulls eye and inner ring.
    for battle, his might be best.

SuaSponte175

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2014
    Fort Worth
    I'd say the Elcan SpecterDR. I have one on mine. The glass is nice and I like being able to go from 1x to 4x with the throw of a lever. They also have a 1.5x-6x if you would want more magnification.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I'd say the Elcan SpecterDR. I have one on mine. The glass is nice and I like being able to go from 1x to 4x with the throw of a lever. They also have a 1.5x-6x if you would want more magnification.
    Nice necro-post. I didn't even remember answering this one. I stand behind my answer and t-fast's answer.

Can we get pics of it now?

MikePotts

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    OK, back in April...I (OP) went with the Nightforce:

P1010517_zps3f1fd64d.gif

TXDeer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2014
    Conroe
    Just checking up on resulting use and satisfaction...

It looks like you went with a higher variable scope than a 1x base... if so... did you have side iron sights or a reflect dot installed for short range use?

Asking as I am about to change from my Vortex 1-4 PST which has been great but I also have aging eyes and want the improved view for longer shots. There are many more suppliers of 1-6, 1-8, and a few 1-10 at various price ranges. Have read many endorsing the IOR 1-10 model with great success...

Really want to keep the short range capabilities... even if means to having to roll the rifle to view a canted reflex sight on the side...

Let me know...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom