Join TexasGunTalk

Schuetzen Verein

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by majormadmax, Jun 22, 2010.

1. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Summer before last I was up south of Luckenbach in the Jeep driving along the Old San Antonio Road when I came across a small shooting match.

I stopped by for a little and enjoyed watching the shooters, and learned that the club--the Grapetown Eintracht Schuetzen Verein--had been around since 1887 when a local singing club and a shooting club were combined, and has been in its current location since 1893!

According to county records, Grapetown was the site of the first annual Gillespie County Shooting Festival (Schuetzenfest), during which 140 kegs of beer were consumed in four days. There is no record of the accuracy of marksmen during the festivities.

I just learned that there is another Schuetzen Verein located in Quihi, 12 miles west of Rio Medina; although this one looks more like a social club than a shooting organization.

A little online research revealed an article from the April 2010 edition of Texas Parks and Wildlife magazine that stated the New Braunfels Schuetzen Verein is the oldest continuously operating shooting club in the United States, having been formed in 1849 (four years after the town was founded). According to the magazine, "matches became celebrated social events, allowing families a break from the hardscrabble pioneer life."

The article states that there are fewer than 20 Schuetzen Verein left in Texas, whereas at one point in the late 1800s there was over ten times that number. I was just wondering if there was anyone on here that is a member of a Schuetzen Verein, and if so, could you provide some details of your club?

Cheers! M2

2. hangtree

hangtree Member

Oct 27, 2008
    South Texas
    majormadmax likes this.
  3. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    That's right, I had forgotten about them! I came across that club when looking for ranges around Boerne, we have friends in Fair Oaks Ranch just south of there that asked us to take them shooting and I was looking for a range nearby. They only allow .22 rifles and from the looks of these pics, a few folks have some very serious hardware that they bring!

Cheers! M2

4. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Those are .22 Rimfire benchrest guns. They get really into it.

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The largest shooting event in the world is held in Hannover, Germany. It started in 1529 ... so needless to say, ze Germans have a history of it.

6. DPSTX

DPSTX New Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Leander
    Hello,
    I joined this forum just to answer this question, but I will have to check it out more!!!

I am a member of the Grapetown Schuetzen Verein, as is my Dad and was my Grandfather on my mothers' side. This is one of 6 shooting clubs in Gillespie county that compete within their own clubs most of the year and get together for the Gillespie County Bundesfest (Schuetzenfest) at one of the 3 ranges in the county, (this year's fest is July 31-Aug 1 at the Bear Creek shooting range in Gillespie county). Lately, the Schuetzenfest has had around 130 shooters. There are 2 classes, Rimfire (22lr only) and centerfire(most are 22-250, but there are others...). All shooting is at 200 yards, shot standing with a fixed barrel rest, open sights only (no peep sights). Most of the rifles have a hook that rests on top of your shoulder and weigh 12 to 20lbs.

th_Photo0053-1-1..jpg

My grandfather won the rimfire king (Schuetzenkoenig) in 1969 and I won rimfire king in 1997. Still trying for more.....

DPSTX

majormadmax likes this.
  7. gearguy

gearguy New Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I've turned targets for the past three years and next year I just might get to shoot. Go Hubertus!

8. Vaquero

Vaquero Pre-ban

Apr 4, 2011
    Out West
    That is some awesome stuff! Hats off to these guys.

9. Tejano Scott

Tejano Scott TGT Addict

Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands

Holy first post necro-bump! Neat thread.

10. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Holy Zombie Thread Revival, Batman!

Still, if there's a topic to be brought back from the dead, it's this one! I have been thinking about my experience up near Grapetown a few years back, and since I've recently become re-enamored by the .22LR round thanks to the acquisition of a Ruger 10/22 and a Marlin Model 60 (not exactly marksmanship rifles, but fun to shoot nonetheless), I might be enticed to see if I can get into one of these shooting clubs!

Boerne would be closest, although Quihi is not that far away either. I'm just not sure if the latter still shoots or if it's just a social club (I think that's the case).

Gearguy, if you have any suggestions I'm open to them. If not one of these existing clubs, than maybe we could start something similar ourselves!

Cheers! M2