• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chris76541

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    Killeen
    I just bought my first AR 15 and I'm looking for a decent scope under $100 that I can use to plink and target shoot up to 100 yrds. Any ideas? My rifle is an Olympic Arms with the carry handle and I already have the picatinny rail add on.
    Gun Zone Deals

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    My advice is to spend a minimum of $300.00 on a scope. You can get a used Leupold, new nikon or bushnell.
    They will serve you well, hold zero and not fog.
    A $100 scope won't hold zero, it will fog and you will have to replace it.
    Maybe not today or next year but it will crap out.

But I got to ask, why not shoot irons? You can easily shoot a 4" group at 100 yds or 4MOA with irons.
    They don't fail or loose zero. You can spend $1000 on an ACOG that is better but your AR already has one of the best sighing systems ever devised.
    I mean hold it upside down chest high and let it fall and hit concrete. You still have zero! You can't expect that with a $1500 nightforce scope.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    A redfield will run you $150 for a 3-9 and 130 for a 2-7.

Good scopes, though you'll have a bugger of a time getting a halfway decent cheap weld.

DFWJosh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Waxahachie
    Barska makes a 4x power that will attach to the carry handle for about 50-60 dollars; that may be up your alley. Still allows the use of iron sights.

Just an idea.

daddy45acp

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    central texas
    I have a Compass Lake Engineering National Match AR-15 with a Kreiger Stainless 4 land bull barrel with an extra tight chamber and a Frank White two stage match trigger. I recently bought a BSA tactical scope that I intend to mount on the carry handle. Don't want to make any permanent changes because I want my sons to be able to shoot long range high power competition. For me, and until they are able to handle the rifle, I'm going to glass bed the groove in the handle and use a Leopold rail and Burris rings.

I'll post the progress reports and shooting results of this combination. I also load all my own ammo. I prefer the Sierra 77 grain HPBT over 22.5 grains of Varget in a lake city brass case. The 77 is the heaviest bullet that still fits the AR magazine. I'm going to see just how far I can shoot with that combination, although, there aren't any ranges around here that have the distance I'm looking for. Would appreciate any input on a range in central texas with 600 yard targets.

Top Bottom