• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Alright, i'm going to be putting this scope on a .308 win Thompson Encore that will be belching out full power hunting loads as well as sub-sonic loads.
    I've already got a +20 moa mount for it.
    I'm thinking mil-dot is the way to go with velocity variances of the two loads that are going to be used.

My price range is up to $700.
    So far, i've narrowed down the search to:
    Sightron SII Big Sky 4.5-14x44
    Sightron SIII 10x42 fixed w/ mod. mil-dot
    Zeiss conquest 4.5-14-44 or maybe even a 50

I haven't completely killed out a Nikon monarch but wasn't real impressed with them.

Does anyone have any idea if i'm missing out on another?
    Any suggestions on what would be better?
    Capitol Armory ad

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    It will be dual purpose, hunting and long range target, that's why i'm having such a hard time deciding. The longest range will be around 500 yards.
    Exposed turrets may get banged on trees and steel legs of stands, but hunting turrets don't have the same available Elevation adjustment or speed of adjustment.
    I suppose one that I shouldn't leave out is a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with a good pair of bino's.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    For 500 I would not use a 20 moa base. It will reduce clarity in the scope, especially at high magnification. Other than that I would recommend Leupolds VX3 line.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    No 20 moa base when the .308 SS loads drop 20" at 100 yards?

My experience with SS .308 loads is that they have about 14" of drop compared to normal loadings at 100 yards. That's about on par with .22 LR results as well since they are traveling at roughly the same speed.

Frankly, shooting the SS loads the 20 MOA base is only going to get you another 50 - 75 yards compared to a normal base, and if you are shooting out to 500 yards with full load .308 it's unnecessary.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    Are you looking for something more tactical?

If you're considering the 3-9 Trijicon, then don't overlook the SWFA 3-9x42 Super Sniper... I don't really care for the name, but I've got one. Decent value for 30mm tube, great glass, FFP mil-dot reticle, mil adjustments. SWFA (naturally) sells them for $600.

Good luck!
    -Randy

Top Bottom