• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    I'm ordering a LR-308 AP4, which I'll be needing a scope to do some hunting.

After hours of research on scopes, I found a Nikon that looked pretty good. Want to have a nice scope, without breaking the bank.

Buckmasters 3-9x40 Matte BDC from Nikon

As well, I'm looking at LaserLyte boresighter, but I can see the muzzle break could get in the way and not sure how well the arbor laser will work.

Any other suggestions on scopes and sighting the scope myself?
    Target Sports

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    There are bore sights that are shaped like the round you use .
    I have seen them at Academy and on a couple of other on line sites.
    Cheaper than dirt had some a while back also.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Don't bother... you can sight in a rifle with a handful of shots.

Mount the scope properly and put the target out to 25 yards, see if you are on paper. If you are, then you'll be good to go. Adjust per your MOA, fire again, if it's ball park in the center (don't worry if it's low at 25 Yards, the bullet will rise some). Run it out to 100 Yards and squeeze one off, adjust, fire two shots to verify it's zero. With that particular rifle you might get a derivation of 2 - 3" at 100 Yards if you are using cheap ammo, especially if it's .308 in a 7.62 NATO chamber.

You shouldn't have to go through more than 5 - 6 shots. If you aren't on paper at 25 yards then you need to check your scope mounting.

If you reload, make sure to keep your brass and mark it for that particular rifle. Fire formed brass is a good way to tighten up the groups in a service rifle with a NATO chamber. Especially if you are using .308 brass. Try to push the bullet out a bit to shorten some of the throat length. The OALs we use on our .308 loads are somewhere short of a .30-06, LOL, but they shoot 1/4 MOA out of a Remington 700 5R. Just make sure they fit the magazine and cycle properly before you make a million of them.

I've used alot of the Nikons, and they are pretty decent. I'm a big fan of Leupold VX-IIs which aren't too much more, and are a step up in my opinion. Either one will work though.

Here's some How-Tos I wrote up:
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/hunting-articles/4118-scopes-how-zero-scope.html
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/hunting-articles/4117-scopes-how-mount-scope-setup.html

Top Bottom