• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GJW1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    Hello,

I have a Ruger M77 hawkeye, and want to turn in into a "scout" type rifle.
    Would it be possible(cost Beneficial) to have a gunsmith machine the barrel and install a forward scope mount, then shorten the barrel to between 18 to 20 inches?

Or, just look for a factory scout rifle? I have looked at the savage model 10FCM, but do not know of another manufacturer that makes a factory scout rifle. If you have rifle recommendations I am open to hear them.

I am really attached to this rifle and would not be opposed to spending money on it, (up to a certain point) Like the cost of a new rifle.

Thanks
    GJW1911
    Gun Zone Deals

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Not sure if I'd cut any off that .308 barrel. Twenty-two inches is not real long but if I did, 18 inches would be the absolute very shortest barrel I'd have for a .308. XS sight systems makes picatinny rails that mount on lots of different rifles. I'd call them and find out what they offer. XS Sight Systems - Scope Mounts
    Just my two bits worth.

Edit to add: Burris makes an EXCELLENT 2 3/4 power scout scope. My friend has one on a 7 x 57 mauser with a 20 inch barrel (I think) and it shoots great and you can keep both eyes open.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Not sure if I'd cut any off that .308 barrel. Twenty-two inches is not real long but if I did, 18 inches would be the absolute very shortest barrel I'd have for a .308. XS sight systems makes picatinny rails that mount on lots of different rifles. I'd call them and find out what they offer. XS Sight Systems - Scope Mounts
    Just my two bits worth.

Edit to add: Burris makes an EXCELLENT 2 3/4 power scout scope. My friend has one on a 7 x 57 mauser with a 20 inch barrel (I think) and it shoots great and you can keep both eyes open.

He's almost certainly going to have to cut it down to get the rifle to weight for a scout. 22" is a bit much for a scout. A 20" barrel is probably about right but I'd seriously consider 18" because I hate lugging weight around and have a serious fetish for short rifles. Realize that in most cases, lopping the barrel shorter will actually increase accuracy by reducing the amount of barrel whip at the muzzle. The only real downside is that it reduces velocity (at something like 50 FPS for every 2" IIRC, so it's not huge), but as long as it's putting the bullet in the same place every time and you know how to estimate range and wind to make up for the loss of speed, it's fine. But with a .308, looking for "good enough" accuracy out 450 yards you won't have to worry too much about those.

The concept behind a scout rifle is that it must be:
    Max weight of 6.6lbs unloaded but otherwise ready to rock.
    Under 40" OAL (22" barrel may bite him here).
    Full-power, preferably in .308/7.62x51mm NATO.

The idea is to have a lightweight, handy rifle that can be used to get a first shot hit on a man-size target out to 450 yards. It's meant to be a all-purpose rifle as useful for putting food on the table as it is for defending yourself against other men.

There are a few companies that make scout rifles. Ruger used to offer a Scout version of the M77 (the M77 Mk. II Frontier), so you could look for stats off that rifle to see what you're looking at for your build.

Ideally you should have a set of iron sights and a long-eye relief optic that has a power somewhere around 2-3X. The irons should be a set that includes a ghost ring in the rear.

As far as I can tell, Cooper wanted a rifle that you could be dropped into just about any situation on the planet that calls for a gun and it would be useful.

GJW1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Central Texas
    I was curious why it was locked.
    Does anyone know a gunsmith I could contact about this?
    I can buy a factory scout rifle, but I would like to have it built.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom