Hurley's Gold

Searching for Beretta BL-3 Purchased in Plano over last few Months!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seeker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    North Texas
    Hoping for a Christmas miracle of sorts. Best friend hit tough times and pawned his Beretta BL-3 in order to make ends meet, and was unable to make full payments in time and the gun was sold. His own fault, yes I know, he knows, however that part is really of least relevance. This piece has tremendous sentimental value to he and his family, and I am desperately searching for the person who purchased it in order to see if they would be willing to sell/trade. If you or if you might know who someone who purchased a Beretta BL-3 (most likely still had the fluorescent sight) from a Plano pawn shop in Plano October/November or through the line of such, I would love to speak to you. I do have the specific details in order to verify if it is in fact the exact shotgun I am searching for, including more specifics of the sale, serial number and value it was sold for. Random, last effort I know to make, so thought I would reach out for help and hope for the best!!!

Any help would be appreciated.
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

Seeker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    North Texas
    Best of luck to you!

Sent from...wait where am I!?

Thank you! It's a good guy I'm trying to help out...he's still adjusting to a couple of tours overseas, and it is things like this that I would love to keep off of the regret/frustration list, though I get the fact, bills are bills. Can't have extra things around until the necessities are taken care of. I've never seen someone make such tremendous strides in such a short period of time, that to be able to bring this piece home, would really be something I would be honored to do! I've tried reaching out to the stop for help, and he and I toyed with purchasing a BL-4, explaining, and it becoming a replacement...but that's just it. You can't replace true sentimental attachment. Granted I probably sound overly sappy, but I am at the end of my rope with known ideas on how else to find this gun, short of a miracle of someone reading this post, and also being willing. It would be a huge event for their entire family...they would all benefit, I would get to smile for months having done something to help, and certainly, would make sure that whomever has the piece left more than happy!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    So you haven't tried asking the shop that sold it? That is where I would start.

I don't expect them to give you any of the buyer's information but maybe they could make a call or send a letter (since they may only have an address).

Seeker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    North Texas
    So you haven't tried asking the shop that sold it? That is where I would start.

I don't expect them to give you any of the buyer's information but maybe they could make a call or send a letter (since they may only have an address).

That's the first place I tried, inquiring with the exact same hope, that they may be willing to reach out to the buyer. Unfortunately, it was a quick no. Thank you for the suggestion!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That's the first place I tried, inquiring with the exact same hope, that they may be willing to reach out to the buyer. Unfortunately, it was a quick no. Thank you for the suggestion!
    Oh, ok. They may be more interested if it is profitable to them. Gun sellers tend to be protective though.

Seeker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    North Texas
    Oh, ok. They may be more interested if it is profitable to them. Gun sellers tend to be protective though.

Took that idea and ran with it. reached out again, providing the history of the gun and why I am making the effort to try to locate it...and how much I would be willing to compensate anybody who took the time to help locate and/or sell back the piece. Still nowhere. Not sure if maybe my smaller stature and general demeanor perhaps play a role in the fact that it seems I'm just not taken seriously...who knows. The timeframe I had hoped to accomplish this in, is closing in, with normal work schedule about to pick up and lessen my time searching. But will continue scouring the web, making calls, and whatnot until hopefully I find some success.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Put a "want to buy" ad up wherever you can. List the specifics of the firearm, as much information you can include, and a finders fee if somebody can help locate it.

I would try texasguntrader.com, Craigslist, and any FB groups you may be in. Might have to be a little discreet on CL and FB though with gun sales banned.

Seeker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    North Texas
    Put a "want to buy" ad up wherever you can. List the specifics of the firearm, as much information you can include, and a finders fee if somebody can help locate it.

I would try texasguntrader.com, Craigslist, and any FB groups you may be in. Might have to be a little discreet on CL and FB though with gun sales banned.

Excellent suggestion! I'm going to jump right on it. If you don't mind me asking for one additional piece of advice, as I clearly have limited knowledge in this area, in your opinion what would be an enticing yet reasonable finders fee to offer? Obviously I'm anxious to find the piece, but also can't kill my budget (only income for myself and my kids lol). I apologize for asking so many questions, however still learning the territory, and would rather show my ignorance through inquiry as opposed to making a stupid mistake because of it!

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Excellent suggestion! I'm going to jump right on it. If you don't mind me asking for one additional piece of advice, as I clearly have limited knowledge in this area, in your opinion what would be an enticing yet reasonable finders fee to offer? Obviously I'm anxious to find the piece, but also can't kill my budget (only income for myself and my kids lol). I apologize for asking so many questions, however still learning the territory, and would rather show my ignorance through inquiry as opposed to making a stupid mistake because of it!
    I would just list a finder's fee and not an actual amount. If you say $50 (plus the price of the firearm) and the owner sees it and isn't interested you may not hear from them. If you say $500 over retail then you may get 50 replies from everybody that has that gun and wants to get a piece of the action.

I would just list all the information you have and the reason you are trying to track it down. A finder's fee will be given if you can get me in touch with the owner type of thing.

Most people are reasonable and understand sentimental value.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    Maybe try the local Herald (paper/media) or whatever is up in Plano and explain to them what you're doing, who you're doing it for (a veteran), with the angle of applying some pressure to the local shop who sold it so they'll reach out to the buyer. Frame it where the shop will look really good if they helped out. Quick though: The Holiday spirit fades quickly in public perception, and that's what the media bases their decision making upon.

Seeker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    North Texas
    I would just list a finder's fee and not an actual amount. If you say $50 (plus the price of the firearm) and the owner sees it and isn't interested you may not hear from them. If you say $500 over retail then you may get 50 replies from everybody that has that gun and wants to get a piece of the action.

I would just list all the information you have and the reason you are trying to track it down. A finder's fee will be given if you can get me in touch with the owner type of thing.

Most people are reasonable and understand sentimental value.

Fantastic, thank you both for the advice, and patience. Jumping on posting listings tonight now that I am back in town and can reply in a reasonable time. Truly appreciate your help!!!

Last edited:

Seeker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    North Texas
    Maybe try the local Herald (paper/media) or whatever is up in Plano and explain to them what you're doing, who you're doing it for (a veteran), with the angle of applying some pressure to the local shop who sold it so they'll reach out to the buyer. Frame it where the shop will look really good if they helped out. Quick though: The Holiday spirit fades quickly in public perception, and that's what the media bases their decision making upon.

Another great suggestion! The shop has been less than interested in working with me directly, which was really disheartening. They were my first contact actually, hoping I could have caught the gun before it made it out on the shelf, and even with explaining as much of the situation as possible, offering pay fees on all ends, and every reasonable way to reach out. I don't know if there was an actual negative interaction with my friend, or a possible misperception, or if maybe that went in to play somewhere. Hell, I even went in on Christmas Eve, cash in hand, to purchase a BL-4 that cost a decent bit more than the BL-3 went for, simply to be able to give as a present, gesture showing that while I know it wasn't the same, that I was continuing to search for the original piece, and this was the closest I had been able to find. The computers happened to go down at some point while they were waiting for my paperwork to come back (there isn't a single thing anywhere that would cause issue for me in that aspect), and I was told just that I was out of luck until after Christmas but should hear back by the Monday. To date, never heard a word back.

So absolutely, maybe going on the super positive approach and having someone else supporting my little quest could help! They definitely have no interest in helping me as an individual which is so incredibly frustrating. I just want to help a friend, who has busted his ass not only for his country, his family, his friends, but also in coming home and struggling to make the adjustments that I know so many others have had to. I haven't been there first hand and will never pretend to understand the magnitude, but, after teaching for this many years, I can see when someone is doing everything they can to make things right, and my stubborn ass is the first one to stand up for that person. Knowing that every piece of information I likely need, is right there and available, and that the person who purchased it may very well be more than willing to work with me, drives me absolutely up the wall.

Seeker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    North Texas
    Unfortunately, even after reaching out to other sources, reaching out once again to the shop, posting to a number of places (I don't know too many places other than those that pop up in a quick search and following such leads)...still no luck. Figuring at this point, I'm probably out of luck.

Thanks to all who attempted to help, I have already admitted to my friend that it seems I'm not going to be able to come through on my project of bringing that piece home.

Top Bottom