• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dsparil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    For a guy who doesn't even know how to drive a stick-shift, would I have a difficult time learning to drive a semi-truck via a truck driving school?
    Lynx Defense

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Do you ride a bike?

left hand clutch
    left foot gears
    right hand brake/throttle
    right foot brake

Just coordination + muscle memory. I'd imagine same for a truck.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Easy as pie. I learned how to drive a semi in about an hour, my grandpa taught me in his old school mac towing an oil tanker.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    ^^^was it the old twin stick!!! Those things are a beast ya cant break those
    Talk about bulitt proof, and sides there aint nothing
    Like listening to the turbo and air shift when comming
    Up to high range!!!!!!! I do it every day aint nothing like it
    Matics are like glocks(hiding) eatons are like 1911s nothing like it

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    ^^^was it the old twin stick!!! Those things are a beast ya cant break those
    Talk about bulitt proof, and sides there aint nothing
    Like listening to the turbo and air shift when comming
    Up to high range!!!!!!! I do it every day aint nothing like it
    Matics are like glocks(hiding) eatons are like 1911s nothing like it

Them twin sticks were a bear and was was happy as a lark when I got one with a 2 speed axle.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    We had auto's once upon a time in one of our terminals in Baton Rouge. The had no guts and over time they really had a hard time getting into gear from a stop after starting engine.

We have 10 speeds now and like Sterling said it is clutch only from dead stop and floating the gears each time after that. Of course he drives those little baby trucks. I keep waiting for him to get his Big Boy license so I can try to get him a job in Austin.

Dsparil...beware some of those driving schools, as they like to charge extra if you finance it through them. The class should take no more than a few weeks.

Dsparil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I was planning on Stevens Transport here in Houston, TX. They work out of Houston Community College and there's a semi dealership right next to them.

Also on a related note, I've heard a lot of about the trucking industry. My understanding is a lot of honest truck drivers like to form clicks to stay away from the dishonest ones. I've heard there's a LOT of truck drivers who do meth and traffic in drugs for the cartel. What's the scoop?

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Just say no carry always, above all drive for yoursef, get some xm radio
    Pray!! But above all dont get involved with riff raff.
    You are in this for money. Not friends. Stay focused.!!!
    Cause you can run into fed time just by running your mouth.
    Research the trucking co"s find one that fits.
    Learn to drive ( float) then get some endorsements( tanker, hazmat.dbls) some time behind the wheel and then you can write your
    Ticket, when you go to those schools you will
    Owe them 2 yrs at least! I would find a cc to teach
    Me. That you owe nothing but tuition,
    Then get a rrc card, for propane,gas, oil.
    And you will make good money.
    It is a time consuming process but well worth the
    Time.
    Just saw on tv that good driving jobs are there, cause.alot
    Of people cant pass background chks!

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    If you go to a driving school, get your Class A while you are there. It is easier to get it up front than fight it later after you find a carrier, and if you don't like the tractor trailer you can go down to a Bobtail truck.

If you want to be a company driver, recommended before deciding to go Owner Operator, you may have to look at OTR to start before some local companies hire you. Don't listen to all drivers, many like to blow smoke up orifices. I know plenty of local drivers making $50+, some even more, while some OTR make close to the same.

Do like Sterling says and get all the endorsements you want at once, otherwise you have to pay extra as you go. If you get Haz-Mat, strongly recommended, it will take a little longer and cost a little extra, due to background check requirements.

Dsparil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    OTR was what I was looking at. Good money and it gets me away from all the local politics and stupidity. BTW what are the laws in regards to carrying weapons? I heard that FMCSA prohibits it and I sure as hel don't want to be on the road without one. I don't care what the company policy is, it isn't worth my life.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    You can learn to drive a standard. Not an issue.

Carrying: Many of the places you will be delivering to may not allow carry. Something to think about.

Bakcking up is the hard part. this is an art.

I wish KyltTX learned to type using paragraghs, puntuation, etc., but I am the pot calling the kettle blcak when it comes to typing . . . . what he said was correct.

Get all your endorsements.

barstoolguru

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    dallas.tx
    Being a 35 year driver I can say a lot but you need to learn through time. Any standard transmission can be shifted without a clutch. The clutch just makes the tranny disengage the engine, the smaller the gear ratio the faster they turn and the harder it is to match gears to engage thus 7/ 14 speeds are a little harder (greater range on hilly terrain) to learn but 5/10 are much easier.
    No one goes from a semi to a bobtail; bobtails are more local and physical in the deliveries and pay less. Tractor/trailer is more fork lift friendly and not as prone to get sent to places that require hand unloading.
    Yes get your endorsements tanker…doubles/triples…hasmat…bus, these will aid you in getting a job because most co. require them in their day to day operations (freight lines/trucking co)
    As far as carrying a gun most/all big truck lines do not allow it and a lot of co. that you deliver to band them on their property so that is something to think about

Top Bottom