• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    What is this all about? Last time I checked if I order from Joe's Gun Jambori in Calamazoo, the gun has to be shipped to an FFL. I have to fill out a 4473 and get NICS cleared?

Are they trying to go after armslist and guntrader sites? Wouldnt those sales be face to face and not covered?
    Venture Surplus ad

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    What is this all about? Last time I checked if I order from Joe's Gun Jambori in Calamazoo, the gun has to be shipped to an FFL. I have to fill out a 4473 and get NICS cleared?

Are they trying to go after armslist and guntrader sites? Wouldnt those sales be face to face and not covered?

It's a BS means. Any gun person who's bought knows a 4473 will be done for an internet sale at an FFL in order to receive/purchase a firearm. What we have with this bill is ignorant politicians who are attempting to regulate that which they have no working knowledge of. Al la Degette re: 30rd mags

They have been lying to the public that internet sales do not go through background checks. Reality & fact is, they do.

What they WANT to get in on is private face to face sales between residents in a state, al la CA. They are starting with "we are not trying to ban ___.." bologna at the end of the Manchin-Toomey bill they put together.

GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX

Think about it, it could be interpreted as any sale that started with an internet ad, such as we have right here. Even if the transaction takes place FTF. It's a foot (more like half the body) in the door towards all sales. How many private sales don't start with at least an email? email had to go through internet, so, internet sale.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Think about it, it could be interpreted as any sale that started with an internet ad, such as we have right here. Even if the transaction takes place FTF. It's a foot (more like half the body) in the door towards all sales. How many private sales don't start with at least an email? email had to go through internet, so, internet sale.

That's what I was thinking.. Who is defining what an "internet sale" or even a gun show for that matter. Like I mentioned before, would the parking lot of a gun show be considered part of the show?? We don't know with what they are telling us.

I agree, this is something that seems like it isn't doing anything more then what is already on the books, yet later on down the road gets interpreted some other way.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    That's what I was thinking.. Who is defining what an "internet sale" or even a gun show for that matter. Like I mentioned before, would the parking lot of a gun show be considered part of the show?? We don't know with what they are telling us.

I agree, this is something that seems like it isn't doing anything more then what is already on the books, yet later on down the road gets interpreted some other way.

IMO yes. I believe so due to the interview I saw of Asa Hutchinson on Chris Wallace's Fox Sunday show this week. He makes a distinction on purchases. (This interview segment is what raised my eyebrows for my thread "Do you correct on air reporting?")

HUTCHINSON: Well, from my view, sure. If you go to a gun show and you are buying a firearm from a licensed dealer and have a background check but you also go out to somebody's vehicle and you get a firearm there and purchase it and you don't have a check, there is some inconsistency there, and certainly from my personal standpoint, that's a fair debate. And again Americans would like to see that.
    But let's don't put the burdens on the casual sale. Let's -- and as you, we do need to make the system better. The Senate bill does provide incentives for the states to put more information into the instant check system to make them more effective and that's a step in the right direction.
    WALLACE: But, again I want to make it clear and I understand you are not a spokesman for the NRA though they did appoint you to run the task force, on school safety, you are saying that you would support expanding the background check to include non-dealer sales at gun shows and, also, for instance, sales on the Internet, which are now not covered.
    HUTCHINSON: Well, I can't speak to all of those just because, you know, it's all in the fine print. These are very difficult things to accomplish an objective without burdening the average citizen and bringing the government intrusively into their lives. But we also -- and so, I think, you have to look at the language. I could look at the gun shows and the sales that surround that, and that environment, if we can make sure that there's a comprehensive check and we keep criminals from obtaining guns, in that environment, then, those checks would seem appropriate.

Fact is there is no way to regulate private FTF sales, also described in the nefarious fashion of "out of someone's vehicle", without implementing UBCs. (Gee, I don't know why I feel so dirty when I complete FTF transactions) :rolleyes: It's because gun control proponents want us to believe they are. The same as they try to make "guns" a dirty word.

Top Bottom