Shelf Life ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Crapshoot, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Crapshoot

Crapshoot New Member

Sep 23, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sorry if this is posted somewhere else, but I was wondering if anyone knew if factory ammo had any type of shelf life and if so how long. Is there a difference between the different types, cal.s. and brands? The reason I ask is that I want to have a rotating stock as well as an emergency stock that doesn't get used unless in case of, you guessed it, an emergency.

Any advice would be great. thanks

2. sean gaines

sean gaines New Member

Sep 22, 2009
    katy, Texas
    buy some ammo cans and put your ammo in there it should stay good for a while

3. ConnRadd

ConnRadd Active Member

Not sure of any shelf life, but I've heard of people shooting ammo from WWII... I do know that you want to keep it in a cool and dry place. I actually took some boxes and used my food saver. After hurricane Ike, some people didn't have power for 3 to 6 weeks. Rotating your stock is a good idea as well...

4. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    thats a pretty good idea

also anyone who is worried about their ammo may donate it to helpamedicshootmore.com :lolz:

5. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    As long as it is keep dry, and not exposed to extreme temperatures for extended periods it should be okay. I shot some .22 ammo that was my Dad's that was better than 40 years old. It shot perfectly. Still, since I try to shoot my defense loads every now and again to keep in practice with them and make sure they function, this forces a rotation of that group every couple of years. Marking the date on new defense ammo purchases is a good idea.

6. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I've got a mess of 7.62x54R from the '50s. Shoots just fine. I know of people shooting ammo nearly 100 years old without problems.

Civil War munitions buffs sometimes kill themselves with unexploded naval ordinance. The naval-grade shells were (are) sealed better, so the powder inside is still hazardous. The fuses are usually dead, though. And this is after sitting in a battlefield in the rain and snow for 150 years.

Store your ammo properly and it'll last longer than you or I will.

7. res1b3uq

res1b3uq Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm shooting 1971 Greek ammo in my M-1. So far non have failed to light off.