• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    CSI:Cyber tonight. Video being used to demonstrate said "crazy" girl has her shooting a can off a log with a bolt-action hunting rifle.

Yep - she's CRAZY because she knows how to use a gun!

<grrrrr>
    DK Firearms

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Every drama series I've ever watched held the same narrative — "how do you know he's dangerous?" "Because he has guns." or "He's a 'registered' gun owner, and therefore, must be a viable suspect."

The media and TV are not on your side.

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Every drama series I've ever watched held the same narrative — "how do you know he's dangerous?" "Because he has guns." or "He's a 'registered' gun owner, and therefore, must be a viable suspect."

The media and TV are not on your side.

They do have an agenda! CSI New Orleans has 2 strikes now. Latest bothersome episode was a male interracial gay couple who adopted a little girl, which was kidnapped. The drama wasn't so much the kidnapping, but the social engineering aspect of the show. Wasted about 20 minutes before I decided this was enough.

One more like that and they can kiss my viewing goodbye.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Side note: as someone in IT security, I watch CSI:Cyber because it's just that bad. Worse than B-Movie bad. So bad it's FUNNY to those that know better.

It's the equivalent of a show about people shooting at the range that would have the sound of rounds being fired from a .22 causing cracks in the wood rafters, a 6' fireball out of a barrel, and cardboard targets at 25 yards exploding into "cardboard shrapnel" with each hit.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    They do have an agenda! CSI New Orleans has 2 strikes now. Latest bothersome episode was a male interracial gay couple who adopted a little girl, which was kidnapped. The drama wasn't so much the kidnapping, but the social engineering aspect of the show. Wasted about 20 minutes before I decided this was enough.

One more like that and they can kiss my viewing goodbye.

Minor nitpick, but the show you're referring to is NCIS: New Orleans, not a CSI spinoff. Totally different series (insofar as the people involved).

That said, if you expect any measure of credibility or agenda-free scripting from shows like this, you're bound to be disappointed. I couldn't help but laugh at the CSI:NY episode where a guy managed to 3D print a fully assembled, functional-out-of-the-box S&W .38 revolver, sans rifling and needing to undergo heat treating before it can withstand more than two or three rounds before literally exploding in the shooter's hand (it's the "fully assembled" and "there's no rifling" bit that had me facepalming though - near as I can tell the rest was spot-on).

sdismukes

Bending nails and making sawdust
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2014
    Erath County
    Got the letters bass-ackwards and up-mixed in the middle of the rant - NCIS it is, not CSI. Thanks for the catch.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That said, if you expect any measure of credibility or agenda-free scripting from shows like this, you're bound to be disappointed.
    That's why I like cop shows that don't even pretend to be procedurally correct. There are some on TV that deliberately do everything wrong without irony, thus entering some sort of fantasy sub-genre. "Forever", for example, is good entertainment but pretty much everything about it, from a procedural standpoint, is completely, idiotically, and (I believe) deliberately wrong.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Side note: as someone in IT security, I watch CSI:Cyber because it's just that bad. Worse than B-Movie bad. So bad it's FUNNY to those that know better.

It's the equivalent of a show about people shooting at the range that would have the sound of rounds being fired from a .22 causing cracks in the wood rafters, a 6' fireball out of a barrel, and cardboard targets at 25 yards exploding into "cardboard shrapnel" with each hit.

That is my opinion exactly. The show had an opportunity to actually inform people and do some good with the entertainment.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    CSI lost me when they had a show about a woman shooter who was killed and the CSI team figuring it out.
    This woman shooter saved her spent bullets from her back yard range.
    She had a pile of old bullets and a wind storm came and "blew" on the the spent bullets into her body and killed her.
    Jeebuss H. Christ.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    CSI lost me when they had a show about a woman shooter who was killed and the CSI team figuring it out.
    She had a pile of old bullets and a wind storm came and "blew" on the the spent bullets into her body and killed her.
    Jeebuss H. Christ.

Really?!!
    Damn! Ain't nobody safe 'round here.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Jeebuss H. Christ.

Sweet merciful hell... I'm actually "watching" that episode right now... CSI: Miami, from way the hell back in 2003, episode "Hurricane Anthony", in case anyone cares. Slug entered through her neck at a really screwy angle, apparently nicked a major blood vessel or two. That much I can actually see happening - the slug penetrating as if it were actually fired from a gun though? Pardon me while I laugh my ass off.

What -really- gets me is that the woman in question apparently lived in a relatively populated area (though to be fair it's hard to tell in the aftermath of a fucking hurricane), so I'm willing to bet her backyard range was flat-out illegal to boot.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OT Warning
    ...I'm willing to bet her backyard range was flat-out illegal to boot.
    You might want to do some googling on backyard ranges in Florida. They have some very range-positive laws that are generally good. Those laws, however, also allow some folks to legally set up ranges where you'd never imagine such a thing would be legal and you know it's just stupid.

See this article and some of the links off it: Want a backyard shooting range? Florida law makes it easy

Last edited:
    Top Bottom