• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    When shipping a rifle through UPS, do you have to inform them that it's a firearm? Their site states that you do for handguns, but they ONLY specify handguns from what I could find. From what I read, it seems that they do not consider rifles to be any different than any other item. I need to send my Sub2k back for some warranty work (the iron sights are nowhere near being usable), and it would be nice if I could just fold it, stick it in a box, and ship it off without anyone knowing that it's a firearm.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    I would be honest and declare it.

I thought that many years ago on another forum, someone claimed it was against the law to send a firearm and claim it was something else. I don't know if that is true...

But, I do know that if you DON'T tell them, and then it is lost... They will not be honoring the insurance on the package.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    When shipping a rifle through UPS, do you have to inform them that it's a firearm? Their site states that you do for handguns, but they ONLY specify handguns from what I could find. From what I read, it seems that they do not consider rifles to be any different than any other item. I need to send my Sub2k back for some warranty work (the iron sights are nowhere near being usable), and it would be nice if I could just fold it, stick it in a box, and ship it off without anyone knowing that it's a firearm.

(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    There are a limited amount of locations that will accept the package. If I remember correctly it was a true UPS store, and not a franchised store. For me there were only two locations in Houston to do it.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    (e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;

FMJa4NT.gif

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    There are a limited amount of locations that will accept the package. If I remember correctly it was a true UPS store, and not a franchised store. For me there were only two locations in Houston to do it.

From my experience, no UPS store will take it. You must go to the actual hub.

I Fed Ex'd a handgun last week. I had to go to the hub for them as well

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    So this only applies when shipping to an individual.

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Here in DFW, this wad my experience. I head to go to a main UPS distribution center, the small UPS store I went to (in Forney) wouldn't accept the rifle.

Also note, such might not be too much of a challenge for a compact mailer like the Sub2K, but UPS won't allow any markings on the box that have any mention of the firearm.

I shipped a Molot Vepr Pioneer in it's original box to a patriot in the People's Republik of Kamalafornia and UPS was strict about the Vepr box not being visible. Further, they wouldn't let me wrap in brown paper, suggesting it might get caught in their conveyor. I literally cut a bunch of smaller scrap cardboard into a janky piecemeal box that was taped to death so there were no seams and no eeeeevil firearm markings. PITA!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    A Fedex employee advised me never to tell Fedex there was a firearm being shipped. Too great of risk of employee theft.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    A Fedex employee advised me never to tell Fedex there was a firearm being shipped. Too great of risk of employee theft.

Fed Ex and UPS changed their policies over a decade ago. Because of employee theft, they make you send handguns next day. At least more recently, you can choose 2 day and save a little $. But damn - they screw you on the price because of employee theft. In the 1990s, you could send guns ground for just a few dollars.

But, you ARE supposed to claim it as a gun. They will not pay a claim for a lost package if you do not.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Kel-Tec's site only listed UPS and FedEx as methods for shipping a gun to them, they did not mention USPS, which would be a far easier solution to me. There's not a FedEx hub near me, and the UPS one is a pain in the ass to deal with. They don't want anything to do with guns. They wouldn't even ship some ammo for me a while back.

I emailed them and asked them if there was a specific reason why I couldn't send it through USPS.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I suggest reading the following

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Why use FedEx hub instead of your local USPS?
    I've shipped and received lots of firearms via USPS. Easy peasy, lemon squeezie!

Unless you are an FFL, you can only ship long arms thru the post office. Handguns can only be mailed by an FFL holder.

But as the OP was talking about a rifle, I would check with Keltec to make sure they will accept a weapon via USPS first

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

So this only applies when shipping to an individual.

That's kind of how I'm reading that too.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Unless USPS rules have changed in the last year (CHECK with your local POSTMASTER, 1st!!), firearms MAY be mailed at your local POST OFFICE but only if they are being sent to a FFL-licensed gunsmith or the factory for repair/warranty service.

NOTE: C&R FIREARMS of all lawful kinds MAY BE MAILED and/or RECEIVED by USPS ordinary mail. - I have done that NUMEROUS times W/O "a hassel".
    (You must show your C&R license to the postal clerk upon shipment and/or receipt for firearms..)

FWIW, when I ship a C&R firearm, I always INSURE it for "FAIR MARKET VALUE" (NOT expensive) AND it goes by CERTIFIED MAIL.
    (Certified Mail must be individually signed for each time it changes hands in USPS custody & by the person at the destination.)

SORRY, I do NOT trust either UPS or FED-EX with collector's firearms (which is 99% of what I buy in guns.). = WAY TOO MANY "mysterious disappearances" with BOTH companies.

Note: When our family owned a store in NETEX & that sold firearms/ammo, we had shipments of UPS & FED-EX that NEVER ARRIVED at our store.
    (I once ordered 32 USED/LE trade-in Colt's Detective Specials & Cobras for friends in the County LE agencies/TPWD/TX DPS/ USAR/ARNG & the crate NEVER ARRIVED from the vendor in Watertown, NY. = Further, it took over 6 weeks to get the insurance on the UPS shipment to "pay off".)
    UPS quickly decided to pay me for the "missing revolvers" after they received a letter from our District Judge telling them to pay our firm or the company would suffer the consequences AT LAW.
    (FUNNY how well a letter from a judge works!!)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I have shipped firearms (handguns & long guns) through UPS and FedEx before in NY and in AR (the closest UPS Customer Center) to me now. They do not knowingly accept shipments of firearms at UPS Sores or third party affiliates. I stopped shipping handguns when they mandated overnight delivery (just too expensive unless a buyer pays actual shipping). I have rarely had problems with UPS and they have been minor pains in the neck now and then. FedEx just sucked so I stopped using them, I hate it when I buy something and it winds up being shipped by them.

Anyway, as far as UPS goes, the biggest pain in the arse for me hs been that the one in Texarkana, AR sometimes has clerks who demand a copy of the consignee's FFL. If I don't have it with me that means a 45 minute drive home and back to UPS for me to get a copy. In NY, I was asked for the consignee's FFL only once, luckily another clerk overheard the guy asking me for that and then told him it was not required. Never a problem after that at the UPS Customer Center in Uniondale, NY. In Texarkana, I once asked for the clerk to get her supervisor who then came out and then told the clerk an FFL copy was not required. Since then, a couple of them keep insisting on it anyway. I also had a clerk there refuse to take an ammo shipment because I forgot the ORM-D sticker (I print my own). I had to drive home to get one then back to UPS. She insisted on the sticker even though as of December 2020, they no longer will be required (and this happened last month) and most ammo dealers (of those I deal with) seem not to be using them already.

As for letting them know what is in the box, I find it best to always tell them exactly what is inside when I am insuring it and I always insure firearms and insure ammo when valued over $100 (UPS automatically insures shipments for $100). I also get delvery confirmation with an adult signature (I believe it is required for firearms but would get it anyway and I get it for ammo). I have shipped many firearms and a decent amount of ammo with UPS and never has one shipment been stolen. Remember if you ship a rifle or handgin, it gets special attention from UPS to help avoid theft. If you declare it as a rifle, then it goes missing, UPS will notify authorities who then can start an investigation of what happened to it. If you do not tell them what it is, or if you lie and tell them it's something like machine parts, they probably will not notify anyone but you if it goes missing. So, when you call the authorities to inform them your gun got stolen while being shipped - how do you explain to them you did not tell UPS it was a gun or that you BS'd them and told them it was something else? You now may become a suspect. You, or at least I, definitely want the UPS shipping bill of sale:popcorn: receipt to say what it was that you shipped.

Top Bottom