DK Firearms

Shoot .50 BMG straight up! Darwin Award contenders.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Straight up is not as dangerous as it sounds... terminal velocity as the bullet free falls is not even close to what it would be if trajectory after being fired from say a 45 degree angle.

I still wouldn't volunteer to be nearby... but the sound it made was interesting.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Straight up is not as dangerous as it sounds... terminal velocity as the bullet free falls is not even close to what it would be if trajectory after being fired from say a 45 degree angle.

I still wouldn't volunteer to be nearby... but the sound it made was interesting.

Indeed.

Innumerable arguments have been held over this issue.
    Some would say that the falling velocity is the same as the initial velocity.
    On the moon, with no atmospheric drag, that would be true.

I'm thinking the Mythbusters show did an episode on this.
    Using a vertical wind tunnel they found that a 168gr .30 caliber projectile has a terminal velocity of something like 300 feet per second.

My scientific wild ass guess would be that a falling .50 BMG projectile would be traveling at 4-500 FPS, not that I really know.
    A 660 grain .50 FMJ ball projectile at 450 feet per second would have more momentum than 45 ACP ball at the muzzle, albeit less kinetic energy.

A fatal potential incident.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The bullets fall base first as well. Not exactly aerodynamic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    What are the odds of that bullet coming back down to within a few feet of the point it was launched from? The safest place might be to stay with the rifle. Well, if you don't have a truck to hide under.
    The odds are roughly the same as it landing in just about any other spot you can reach on foot in that time.

What are the odds of a 6 number lottery drawing 1,2,3,4,5,6? (In any order)... EXACTLY the same as any other set of 6 numbers.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    The bullets fall base first as well. Not exactly aerodynamic.

Just because it goes up butt down doesn't mean it falls back that way. Cites please. My guess would be atmospheric dynamics would cause the bullet to choose the path of least resistance, IE: nose down. Try to throw a dart backwards sometimes and see how that works out.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Just because it goes up butt down doesn't mean it falls back that way. Cites please. My guess would be atmospheric dynamics would cause the bullet to choose the path of least resistance, IE: nose down. Try to throw a dart backwards sometimes and see how that works out.

Nose down or more precisely nose first in the direction of travel is ballistically unstable, and why there is rifling. Numerous physics show an object will come down mass first, which in most bullets is base first.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

The dart is a bad analogy. All the weight is up front pulling the draggy rear half along.

Aside from what others have said, the spin of the bullet will barely slow at all as the bullet velocity drops to zero and it begins to fall back to the ground. It will work to keep the bullet in the same orientation it start in.

The spin on a bullet is enough to keep it from orienting in line with the direction of travel at extreme distances. Even shot at a distante target an overstabilized bullet may still be pointing slightly nose up while dropping. It's why Cheytac developed special rifling and specific bullets which cause an increased amount of drag so that the spin will slow and allow the bullet to orientate to the direction of travel, increasing ELR accuracy.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The dart is a bad analogy. All the weight is up front pulling the draggy rear half along.

Aside from what others have said, the spin of the bullet will barely slow at all as the bullet velocity drops to zero and it begins to fall back to the ground. It will work to keep the bullet in the same orientation it start in.

The spin on a bullet is enough to keep it from orienting in line with the direction of travel at extreme distances. Even shot at a distante target an overstabilized bullet may still be pointing slightly nose up while dropping. It's why Cheytac developed special rifling and specific bullets which cause an increased amount of drag so that the spin will slow and allow the bullet to orientate to the direction of travel, increasing ELR accuracy.

Exactly. It will still be spinning. A lot.

That spin will keep it pointed straight up as it falls.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    T
    What are the odds of that bullet coming back down to within a few feet of the point it was launched from? The safest place might be to stay with the rifle. .

The next time you are dealt 5 cards keep in mind that getting THAT exact hand was 1 in 2,598,960. (52!/47!)/5!
    The chance of getting dealt those 5 cards in that EXACT order was 1 in 311,875,20. (52!/47!)

Nevertheless you, against all odds, were dealt it.

The projectile's gotta land somewhere.
    Most likely spot is probably right on the rifle muzzle.
    There are a million muzzle-sized potential spots for the bullet to land...though be mindful of the poker hand, one in ~1/3 billion.

Figures don't lie but liars figure.

Last edited:

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    T...the spin of the bullet will barely slow at all as the bullet velocity drops to zero and it begins to fall back to the ground. It will work to keep the bullet in the same orientation it start in.

The spin on a bullet is enough to keep it from orienting in line with the direction of travel at extreme distances.

I suspect you are precisely right and I've always lacked any empirical data regarding how much a bullet spin slows during a long ballistic flight.
    Do you have a reference addressing this issue? Would be much appreciated.
    I do think the Uber-Long-Range guys like those at Cheytac have worked on compiling data.

The sound the falling .50 projectiles were making in that video makes me think that yaw overtook axial spin and that they may have been tumbling end over end?

I did read somewhere that AK47 projectiles maintain spin stability all the way up and all the way down as evidenced by finding them in tar rooftops butt down in locations where idiots routinely and frequently celebrate by firing lots of AK47 rounds skyward. I forget where I read that though. I may be making it up.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Correct Math

But has anyone ever checked to see it is going this fast and there was not slippage in the BBL? Q Applies to all bullets, not just 50BMG.
    Fired rounds have straight (angled actually) rifling marks on them as in they are nicely cut, not smeared. There is no slippage.

Even shot out barrels spin the bullet properly. They are inaccurate for other reasons.

Top Bottom