Guns International

Shooting fun: Buy a Marcolmar CETME L (.223) or a FAL Para Folder (.308)-- ammo price difference as a prime factor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    Even if you already owned a FAL (21" barrel) and found both of the rifles in the title equally appealing,
    would you pick the gun which shoots ammo at .40/rd. or the gun using .308 at .70/rd?

I find each rd. of .308 more fun than any round of.223 or 7.62x39. This makes the gun purchase decision a little more difficult.
    --Reactive targets are used most of the time.

All else being roughly equal it's not an easy choice despite being age 67 and having owned approx. twenty five rifles.:)
    No other gun types are under consideration, based on prev. and current ownership.

Sidenote: Former special ops warrior Kris was in the famous, long siege of the US Benghazi embassy.

Lynx Defense

Last edited:
    Reactions: Eli

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I chose...................both.........along with a couple of others here..........

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    How about using the cheapest (non-reman) brands such as Armscor .223 plus our much-beloved Wolf or Tula ammo?

A gent named Machine Gun Dad stated in his video that neither Win. White Box or Tula worked in his rifle when it came out of the factory box.
    Maybe some break-in period was needed on his very stiff charging spring? Only 'milspec' NATO' ammo worked in his CETME L.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    the CETME L is neato and a decent rifle, but it can be a bit temperamental with mags, and by virtue of roller delayed blowback it will chew and send your brass into the next county over, the FAL is a certified hood classic though, so you have quite the choice ahead of you.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Everyone that shot my Cetme L at Eazy E's place liked it a lot. It's heavy, but damn is it smooth. Mine had a tight bcg and was a little unreliable, but I bought a second bcg as a spare and it's been 100% with that one.

Here's a video during break in. I was just mag dumping to up the round count, and look how stable the tip of the barrel is without trying just throwing rounds into the river. It's so smooth.

Last edited:

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    I bought a FAL SAR-4800 last January.
    Acquired my PTR-91 over a year ago. Didn't want to overload my initial question with too much info.

Stopped reloading over four years ago, luckily not a factor. I should have stated this.

Don't know why these letters turned "ethnic"......

:)BeatTheTunaUP:

is the L's stock trigger's heaviness very similar to what most people perceive in a PTR-91 or FAL?
    ------ I can't quite remember from my single, tiny CETME L exposure in a gun shop.-----

Last edited:

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I bought a FAL SAR-4800 last January.
    Acquired my PTR-91 over a year ago. Didn't want to overload my initial question with too much info.

Stopped reloading over four years ago, luckily not a factor. I should have stated this.

Don't know why these letters turned "ethnic"......

:)BeatTheTunaUP:

is the L's stock trigger's heaviness very similar to what most people perceive in a PTR-91 or FAL?
    ------ I can't quite remember from my single, tiny CETME L exposure in a gun shop.-----
    It's about 8lbs

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    BeatTheTunaUp:

Thanks very much . My only pull of a CETME L trigger surprised me, and Because it was so, made me (later) think that it might be heavier than a PTR-91 or FAL.

That is pretty much all I needed to know to rule in favor of a brand-new (factory) CETME L, vs. a first DSA rifle.

And with .223 ammo costs always a big % less than .308 ammo-----

Davmor19

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2023
    Allen
    Laufer: I am with you on this ? I shoot mostly at an indoor range. I have 3 or 4 .223 rifles but 0 .308 rifles. I am not sure there is a point to having a 308 for 50-100 yard shooting in addition to the ammo cost. I have not tried a Cetme but will look into it. I am always on the lookout for fun guns to shoot….any suggestions are welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    The Cetme L shoots good.

20211029_164404-2147849.jpg

Skeezix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2023
    Houston
    I have found .308 / 7.62x51 to be the most satisfying, and I would humbly recommend getting what you WANT and not trying to distill your purchase decision down to a spreadsheet of pennies.
    Getting what you want far outweighs saving a little money in the long run. IMHO.

Top Bottom