Shooting Gloves!

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by MadMo44Mag, Oct 22, 2009.

1. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Back in the late 90's I had a shop accident and nearly cut my right hand off. For a year I didn't touch a gun and it took 3 years before I started shooting regularly again.
    Since that accident my right hand has never been as strong so a good solid grip is hard to maintain.
    I love to shoot 44mag and can't hit jack any more it seams.
    15 yards and a 2 1/2 - 3 in group is good now days.
    My question is does a glove help increase grip substantially or only marginally?

Thanks in advance!

2. ethan

ethan New Member

fwiw, regular gloves probably wouldnt offer you much, i have seen gloves that have hard inserts/molds in the fingers to steady the fingers, cant remember who makes em off the top of my head, they were more of a tactical glove,

i carry my gloves with me now that the weather is cooling off and everything i touch isnt sizzling, instead of always wearing em, cause personally they just get in teh way of fine motor manipulation (alot of what i do)

3. Deepfried

Deepfried New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    streetman
  4. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    I use a pair of Mechanix brand gloves that you can get at home improvements stores for $15. They increase grip substantially on rubber and not very much on wood or plastic. In the heat of a Texas summer gloves are mandatory for me, right up there with eye/ear protection.

5. Thumper_6119

Thumper_6119 Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Amarillo, Texas
  6. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I bought a pair of gloves just Sunday that have thin / soft leather palms and fingers but the back side is a flexible material.
    I cut the tips of the fingers out and will give them a try this week and report back.

7. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    WOW!!!!
    Huge improvement!!!
    All I can say is if you ever wondered if gloves could make a difference, the dam sure did for me!

Thanks all!

8. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    They can make a difference. I use them on the .454 Cassul when plinking it at the ranch. I just use my old fingerless motorcycle gloves, they really improve my grip and lessen the feeling of recoil.

9. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Adidas batting gloves are the only type I have found that work for me,I've tried various types and with these I can feel trigger but still give me better grip and control.

10. mortdooley

mortdooley Active Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I have never found gloves that felt comfortable to shoot with but that is just my opinion. A friend has a thompson contender that is chambered in 45/70 and swears by his weight lifting gloves so what ever works for one may not work for someone else.