• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 300blk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    State of texas has a preemption which blocks municipalities from regulating shooting on properties that meet the following criteria. What Im wondering is what if you have two 25 acre tracts that are contiguous. Or say a 100 acre and a 2 acre tract. Can your shots cross the boundaries and in the case of the 2 acre tract, can I shoot on that too or only the 100 acre? Same with two 25 acre tracts.

[FONT]Sec. 229.002. REGULATION OF DISCHARGE OF WEAPON. A municipality may not apply a regulation relating to the discharge of firearms or other weapons in the extraterritorial jurisdiction of the municipality or in an area annexed by the municipality after September 1, 1981, if the firearm or other weapon is:[/FONT][FONT](1) a shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow discharged:[/FONT]
    [FONT](A) on a tract of land of 10 acres or more and more than 150 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and[/FONT]
    [FONT](B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract; or[/FONT]
    [FONT](2) a center fire or rim fire rifle or pistol of any caliber discharged:[/FONT]
    [FONT](A) on a tract of land of 50 acres or more and more than 300 feet from a residence or occupied building located on another property; and[/FONT]
    [FONT](B) in a manner not reasonably expected to cause a projectile to cross the boundary of the tract.[/FONT]
    Lynx Defense

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Good question!

From what the boneheads on my county court tell me is this: "If you own or control ten or more acres (with the owner's permission, in the unincorporated part of the County, you may discharge a firearm(s) as long as you do not shoot across a navigable waterway or road/highway/instate.

My county makes no distinction about property lines if they are all under your control.

Call you county commissioner. He wants your vote in the next election.

Be well.

300blk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Good question!

From what the boneheads on my county court tell me is this: "If you own or control ten or more acres (with the owner's permission, in the unincorporated part of the County, you may discharge a firearm(s) as long as you do not shoot across a navigable waterway or road/highway/instate.

My county makes no distinction about property lines if they are all under your control.

Call you county commissioner. He wants your vote in the next election.

Be well.

Thanks! Any idea about the state level interpretation?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    From the way I read the law, the State delegated the power to control shooting on private properties to the counties, and told them that 10 or more acres would be protected by the power of the State.

The State has other rules for properties within city limits.

Neighbors, on the other hand, have recourse to limit another's use of firearms if said activity causes harm.

Be well.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    You can shoot across your own boundary. Our property covers several tracts and there is no distinction. I don't know where half the tracts begin or end. The property line is what matters

300blk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    thanks! Do you have any citations or clarifications that say this is the case. I believe it to be the case, but I know the govt can be very tricky when interpreting.

I did a little research and the statues refer to a tract of land. They specifically did not use lot. I believe that a tract can be multiple lots and is often times subdivided.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom