Shooting On Your Own Property

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by AndrewGS, Apr 30, 2012.

1. AndrewGS

AndrewGS Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Spring
    Yesterday my great aunt had a family get-together at her house in Huffman, which is in Harris County and within Houston city limits. The whole family are gun enthusiasts and we took turns with the BB rifle and some targets. We had a great time and got to thinking, if only we could bring in some dirt for a backstop we could shoot our real guns at something other than a paper target, shoot by ourselves and do it for less than $16 an hour.

Her property is only 1.25 acres in a rural neighborhood, so the consensus was that it's illegal to do so, but I was hoping that someone could share their knowledge with me on such issues.

2. mkburden

mkburden Active Member

Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    If I remember correctly the minimum was 10 acres and out of city limits. Someone with more knowledge will undoubtably chime in though.

3. Sugar Land

Sugar Land TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I am trying to find out that answer also. I want to rent a house outside Sugar Land but don't know the rules.

4. Acera

Acera TGT Addict

Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think since you are within the city limits, you will have to jump through all the hoops to become a legitimate shooting range. (aka Shooting Gallery)

So if you want to do it, you will have to follow a legitimate and approved plan of construction (not just a pile of dirt), proper insurance, etc.

In a word, a heck of a lot more money than you will spend going to a range if you want to keep it private and not as a profit making business.

Probably a lot cheaper for all your family to join in, get 10+ (or after reading other posts, 50+ for rifle/pistol ) acres of rural land and build something on that land and not worry about city ordances.

5. ChunkyMonkey

ChunkyMonkey TGT Addict

Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I think you'll have the issue with firing a weapon within the municipality. As far as the acreage required, I dont think It's a state wide number, rather regulated by each county.

6. Acera

Acera TGT Addict

Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Also, check out provision #3 , if you did jump through the hoops, and someone had a beer, you could lose your license.

7. Mexican_Hippie

Mexican_Hippie MODERATOR TGT Supporter

Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    There's some provisions that are dictated by the state, enacted in 2005, to prevent municipalities from restricting shooting too much.

The state says(in a nutshell) greater than 10 acres you can shoot shotguns, airguns and bow/arrow. Greater than 50 acres then you get to shoot .22s and centerfire rifles/pistols.

Theres more details, and the land has to be extra-territorial, annexed after Sep 1981 by the city.

Here's the text if you want to wade through it:
    79(R) SB 734 - Enrolled version - Bill Text

Here's where Fort Worth ammended their city ordinance to accommodate it, as an example:
    http://fortworthtexas.gov/uploadedF..._Council/Official_Documents/16641-10-2005.pdf

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    please cite the source of that law.

9. Glockster69

Glockster69 TGT Addict

Jul 1, 2011
    Build an underground range ... keep u mouth shut and no one will ever know :devil:

10. Acera

Acera TGT Addict

Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I guess I should have been a bit more specific. Since he stated he was interested in a piece of property in the City of Houston, I cited their municipal code, clearly listed in the post, but mysteriously left out of your quote. But to save you some searching....................

Click on the link below, the put in 5-136 in the search box, select the top most listing when the search is done. Easy enough???
    Municode