• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdehoogh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    DFW
    Hey everybody, I turned 21 in Nov and I'm planning on signing up for a CHL class at my local gun range within the next few weeks. The last time I was there they had a flier about it that I took home with me. It said the shooting qualification was 20rds at 3yds, 20rds at 7yds and 10rds at 15yds. The flier doesn't list anything about the accuracy of those shots though. Does it have to hit within a certain ring or just hit the target?

I guess I'm what you could call a "novice shooter" since I've only owned a gun for a few months. At 3yds, my groupings are about 2.5"-3" and at 7yds the groups are definitely wider. At 15yds, I'm not even sure I'd call them "groups". I'm wondering if I should practice/train some more before signing up for the course.

Thanks in advance.
    -Matt

PS: I planned on taking the class at the Winchester Gallery in Fort Worth. Anyone have any thoughts or input about the course there?
    Target Sports

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The shots all count the same if they hit a man sized silouette. Kind of a yes or no deal. The shooting is pretty easy and there is plenty of time, but extra practice is never a bad thing.

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    You will do fine. You have to get 35 out of 50 on the silhouette to pass. When I qualified, the woman next to me put several fliers onto my target when we moved back to 15 yards. (it was pretty obvious that somehow some 9mm holes appeard when I was shooting a .45.) No one in my class failed and half of them couldn't even follow the instructions.

mdehoogh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    DFW
    Thanks guys, one guy I knew said it can be difficult to pass but I've also talked to others who've said almost everyone will pass it. I haven't practiced much out at 15yds (one range I go to only has 7-10yd ranges) and when I saw the 15yd listed on the flyer it got me questioning my abilities. I will try to get a few more range days in before the class

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    The test wasn't intended to look for marksmen. It was intended to screen out those who should never, ever pick up a gun, hammer, power tool, anything sharp, anything hot, or anything breakable.

In my class, we had a 70 year old woman who wanted to carry a little .25 auto. She borrowed a 9 mm and it kept jamming during the test. She not only passed, but qualified on the early rounds so she didn't have to shoot the longest one. In fact, none of the people taking the test had to finish. (Another lady and I did finish out voluntarily.)

Still, there's a matter of pride among shooters that makes us want to do well on the test. I hope you practice and outshine everyone else in your CHL class.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    The test wasn't intended to look for marksmen. It was intended to screen out those who should never, ever pick up a gun, hammer, power tool, anything sharp, anything hot, or anything breakable.

+1 If only the driver's license exam could do the same!!! :)

We started at 3 yds, then 7, then 15. With that progression, you 'should' rack up enough points to pass without needing much from 15 yds. Our group was 17 for 17 with only one person nervous enough to make it close. Unfortunately, she was next to me and 2 or 3 seconds after we finished a sequence, BLAM! , she was finally squeezing off the last round. Of course, I was disappointed when I got 249/250, missing one by 3/8". Our instructors were very clear and reassuring during the whole process...reminding us that we had plenty of time for each sequence. Good luck! You'll soon be hitting at 25 yds what you thought you couldn't hit at 15.

Contrast that with a neighbor's experience in Virginia(I believe)...off-hand, kneeling, etc. I'd like to go through a little training before I tried that!

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    There a bit of timed shooting, where you've got to shot 2 or 3 shots in X many seconds, but it's not like double taps, you have plenty of time to get back on target. Get them all in at the 3 and 7 yards, and you don't have to worry about the 15 yard part, although that's not a big deal. My wife, who had only been shooting for 6 months or so scored a 238.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You'll be firing the same qual course that I did for my class lll (armed security officer) test I was also worried about my 15 yard firing sequence but once you get up there you'll be confident enough to take the "long shots", and as others have said the time is not really fast when you think about it. I was one of the first ones done firing when we took the shooting portion and I wasn't shooting all that fast, everyone was done shooting by the time the time was up. take your time aim your shots and you'll be fine.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Range qual are at the following distances. 3yrds, 7yrds, and 15yrds. You must score a 175 to pass.

The range qual is a series of single and two shot exercises for the most part. The most important thing is to listen to your range master. He will give you instructions and will tell you when to fire and how many.

Where I took my CHL original and renewal they work on the pass/fail method. They add up your score until your reach pass and then stop counting. After that, it does not matter.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The shots all count the same if they hit a man sized silouette. Kind of a yes or no deal. The shooting is pretty easy and there is plenty of time, but extra practice is never a bad thing.
    That is incorrect

A standard B27 target used. You must passs with 70% or better.

The 8 ring and in is 5 points per hit.

The 7 ring is 4 points. Anything on silhouette but outside of the 7 is only 3 points.

You shoot 50 rounds. 50 rounds outside of the 7 ring but on the silhouette would be 150, a failing score.

If you hit all 40 rounds from 7 yards and closer in the 5 point sections, you have a 200. The max possible score is 250.

Here is the target;

largeb27.jpg

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The shooting is supposed to be timed also, but not from the holster;

From 3 yards;

1 shot on command in 2 seconds. This is done 5 times

2 shots in 4 seconds. This is done 5 times

5 shots in 10 seconds.

total from 3 yards = 20 rounds

7 yards

5 shots in 10 seconds

2 shots in 4 seconds-EDITED

3 shots in 6 seconds-EDITED

1 shot in 2 seconds, done 5 times

5 shots in 15 seconds

total from 7 yards= 20 rounds

15 yards

2 rounds in 6 seconds

3 rounds in 9 seconds

5 rounds in 15 seconds

total from 15 yards= 10 rounds

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    They all work on the pass fail method. You either pass or you fail, there is no actual score registered with DPS.

Correct. We score them, but DPS is only given pass/fail.

If you fail the shooting the instructor is obligated to allow you two more attempts.

I always give my top scorers and anyone else who wants to know what their actual score was.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You'll be firing the same qual course that I did for my class lll (armed security officer) test.

Did you know that level three classes could use the CHL qual or one of several others? I have stopped using the CHL qual and use the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center Practical Pistol Course for guards. I also spend a lot of time on shooting training, rather than just qualifying guards.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Love to shoot
    Top Bottom