• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bighog85

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Hey everyone, this would be my first post and as I am new to this area I've got a lot to learn about this town. My main goal right now is to find a good place to shoot that will not charge me an exorbitant amount just to shoot for half a day. I know about Gunsmoke in Snook but I'm not willing to pay $11/per hour per person. Unless someone can tell me something about why it's worth it then they are out. I also know about Arrowhead. They seem like nice people and the price is better but they only have 100 yard rifle lanes which is pretty limiting. The only other range I know about is the Madisonville Co. Gun and Archery Club. $50 a year is great and they have 300 yard lanes. They are a bit of a drive for me but if they are the best option then I'm willing to do it. Does anyone have any other ideas? I'd love to find someone that has some land and would be willing to get to know me and let a responsible person do some practicing. I'm not counting on that though so that's why I am here. Feel free to PM me if you have an idea that not everyone needs to know about. I appreciate any input. Thanks!
    DK Firearms

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    A friend, who shall remain nameless but gets banned a lot, said that range in Madisonville is good to go. Go have fun.

from an idgit coffeeholic

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The only other range I know about is the Madisonville Co. Gun and Archery Club. $50 a year is great and they have 300 yard lanes. They are a bit of a drive for me but if they are the best option then I'm willing to do it.

A friend, who shall remain nameless but gets banned a lot, said that range in Madisonville is good to go. Go have fun.
    I concur with our mutual friend. I drive all the way from Spring to go to Madisonville. It's the closest decent club to Houston (that I know of) that doesn't have a wait list or a bunch of irrational rules. Don't get me wrong; they have rules, mostly old-fashioned target shooting style rules such as no full-auto and no really heavy caliber rifles. But nothing outlandishly idiotic. Around here, that's saying something.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    bighog85, are you specifically looking for outdoor ranges? what kind of lanes are you looking for?

if you just want to pop off some rounds, go to the Brazos River where it crosses HWY-21. from the north side of the river there is an access road that will take you to a nice beach. the Brazos is under TPWD authority and it is legal to discharge firearms on the riverbanks. there are a few common sense laws that you can read up on the TPWS website.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I concur with our mutual friend. I drive all the way from Spring to go to Madisonville. It's the closest decent club to Houston (that I know of) that doesn't have a wait list or a bunch of irrational rules. Don't get me wrong; they have rules, mostly old-fashioned target shooting style rules such as no full-auto and no really heavy caliber rifles. But nothing outlandishly idiotic. Around here, that's saying something.

I need to meet your friend.

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    bighog85, are you specifically looking for outdoor ranges? what kind of lanes are you looking for?

if you just want to pop off some rounds, go to the Brazos River where it crosses HWY-21. from the north side of the river there is an access road that will take you to a nice beach. the Brazos is under TPWD authority and it is legal to discharge firearms on the riverbanks. there are a few common sense laws that you can read up on the TPWS website.

You sure about that? I called the game warden a few months ago and he said "no". I didn't feel like pushing the issue, I just told my boys not to go anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Brazos Cty has no laws restricting the discharge of firearms. Bryan and College Station have city ordinances, but Brazos River @ HWY-21 is not within those city limits.

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    Brazos Cty has no laws restricting the discharge of firearms. Bryan and College Station have city ordinances, but Brazos River @ HWY-21 is not within those city limits.

I specifically asked about Batts Ferry @ Brazos. Maybe it's different, but the warden said its not legal there. I've shot at both places for 25 years off and on. It's just now that my sons are driving around and shooting there that I figured I better check with authorities.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Batts Ferry is not in CS so I don't see why it would be illegal. I have a house just a bit north of there on Hopes Creek and we shoot there all the time. Both on the river and off it. The GW probably lied "for the greater good."

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    Batts Ferry is not in CS so I don't see why it would be illegal. I have a house just a bit north of there on Hopes Creek and we shoot there all the time. Both on the river and off it. The GW probably lied "for the greater good."

Yep. Trying to keep us safe from ourselves. It's a shame that they'd lie. I asked a direct question just trying to respect the law. He said it was private land. Only the river banks up to the vegetation was public and we were crossing private land to get there. I say that wouldn't hold up. The road ends and a well worn path leads to the river. It's established. But it's not a hill worth dying for to me.

bighog85

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Ya, I'm mostly looking for actual lanes. I've got a PredatOBR in 7.62 on order so I'll need some room. My wife is a California girl so I need to get her comfortable too. Is the range in Madisonville just a yearly fee and that's it or do you pay every time in addition? Does it have specific hours? The last club I was a part of in Montana we all had gate keys and could go in anytime.

glennaycock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2015
    There used to be one in Bryan on 21-E across from Coulter Field, but it doesn't show up on Google maps. YMMV

Powderhead

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2015
    B/CS
    Hey Bighog, welcome to the area. I'm in Bryan too, and usually shoot down at CCC south of CS. It's not inexpensive but it does have a 100 and 1K yard range and a schload of pistol bays. Check here for more info - http://cccshootingcomplex.com/

I heard that GunCorps had a range out near the airport on 21 but can't find anything on the web about it. Maybe a call to their store might be more fruitful.

bighog85

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Hey Bighog, welcome to the area. I'm in Bryan too, and usually shoot down at CCC south of CS. It's not inexpensive but it does have a 100 and 1K yard range and a schload of pistol bays. Check here for more info - http://cccshootingcomplex.com/

I heard that GunCorps had a range out near the airport on 21 but can't find anything on the web about it. Maybe a call to their store might be more fruitful.

That is an expensive membership fee! Madisonville is $50/year. I have spoken with the guys at Gun Corps quite a bit and asked where to shoot and they never mentioned anything. Either they don't like me or it doesn't exist anymore, lol.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Ya, I'm mostly looking for actual lanes. I've got a PredatOBR in 7.62 on order so I'll need some room. My wife is a California girl so I need to get her comfortable too. Is the range in Madisonville just a yearly fee and that's it or do you pay every time in addition? Does it have specific hours? The last club I was a part of in Montana we all had gate keys and could go in anytime.
    Did you decide on a place?

MCGAC is $75 1st year and $50 thereafter and guests pay $5/day. Shooting clays is extra and must be arranged in advance but I don't remember the cost. It is a club not a range so bring your own food, drink, targets (there are stands), etc. Clubhouse with kitchen, RRs are available and on joining you'll get a gate combination giving you access anytime other than when events listed on the calendar saying the range is closed.

Here's a link with a few pictures http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...crew-points-north-range-day-09-14-2013-a.html
    If you have anymore questions I'll help where I can.

Powderhead

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2015
    B/CS
    Hey BH, just to follow up, I went ahead and joined MCGAC but have not been out there yet.

I did go to the Marksman Academy range in Bryan yesterday though. Looks like they're getting their facility back together after a split with another entity (which shall remain nameless). $12 to shoot all day at the 25 and 100 yard ranges, another 5 to shoot the TAC range (steel), and 250 a year for a 1 year membership (yes I joined here too). No drama range rules, and the folks there are decent.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    I know the Brazos county game wardens, and I can guarantee they didn't lie to you. Most likely you didn't like the answer or it didn't make sense to you. I rode with them one evening and one location we went to had a dead end road leading to the river bank. Even though it wasn't a road that you would recognize, it was still listed as a road in the eyes of the state right up to the river bank, and you could be sited for shooting from a roadway even though it was dirt. If the warden was saying that you crossed private property, then you were. They are no joke, and know the law!

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Blind sheeple. If you are on the riverbank, you are on the riverbank. If the road dead ends at the river, you did not cross over private property.

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    It isnt as black and white as you make it. Depending on a treeline, you can have a two foot strip of private property between a road and a river bank. I know of a spot where if you take one path you are on federal land where the Game Wardens cant do jack, and another path a few feet away takes you into private property, and this is right by the river bank.

Top Bottom