• ...and so much more!
  • The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    My only comment would be that you would want to train with that a lot to get your reloads down to as fast as possible. I don't like the idea of only having to shots on tap without reloading in a home defense gun..

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Gimme an 870 w/18" barrel an' tube extension....YOU can reload every two rounds! anim_lol.jpg

IOW....self-defense ain't a sport - load early, load deep!

The Mayor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the double barrel shoty. When you are woke up in the middle of the night its hard to focus on sight the stage coach gun can be fired from the hip and it fits easier under the bed and easierto retrive. Also when there is a home invation its been 1 or 2 guys. I figure if Im confronting the bad guys my wife is grabin the other guns. Add a flash light and point and shot. Plus i don't like 870s.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    reliabilty...break opens dont jam. But its a trade off for less capacity...

I have an issue of Personal and Home Defense magazine that discusses this subject. Im not sure which issue it is, but Im sure you can find it through google.

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I like the double barrel shoty. When you are woke up in the middle of the night its hard to focus on sight the stage coach gun can be fired from the hip and it fits easier under the bed and easierto retrive. Also when there is a home invation its been 1 or 2 guys. I figure if Im confronting the bad guys my wife is grabin the other guns. Add a flash light and point and shot. Plus i don't like 870s.

Statistically the average home invasion is with 3 bad guys, not 1 or 2..so again, you better be able to reload quickly. I'd rather not have to bring my wife as backup. For that matter I would just as soon be sitting in the bed room with her next to my side with her 870 ready to defend if they come for us. I could care less about my stuff that is getting stolen. That can be replaced..Side by Sides are cool for trap shooting, but in my opinion inadequate for HD. Ever see a cop carrying a double barrel into a house?

The Mayor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Statistically the average home invasion is with 3 bad guys, not 1 or 2..so again, you better be able to reload quickly. I'd rather not have to bring my wife as backup. For that matter I would just as soon be sitting in the bed room with her next to my side with her 870 ready to defend if they come for us. I could care less about my stuff that is getting stolen. That can be replaced..Side by Sides are cool for trap shooting, but in my opinion inadequate for HD. Ever see a cop carrying a double barrel into a house?

Why not? My wife has seen her share of convoys in Iraq. I would take her to war any day!!!

30+GSXR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I have a Double Defense beside my bed evey night with a laser / light combo mounted. 5 xtra shells on the stock in a elastic shot shell holder.
    I would recomend the gun. Shoots great, fast and never jams :)

And - It just looks really cool.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

Just to be clear. Your saying a side-by-side is better because you can fire from the hip easier and more accurately than another shotgun. Seeing that a normal shotgun patterns at just a few inches across at home distances and the barrels are right next to each other and you fired both at the same time, you'd get a pattern that is about an inch wider. . . .no to mention the fact that you are shooting wildly "from the hip."

The idea that a coach gun is easier to store and retrive doen't make sense to me, seeing that the gun will be wider and heavier than most pump shotguns.

Reliability? sure I guess worst case senario, you have two reliable shots. A pump would only have one (assuming worst case senario and the gun is already loaded which it should be). Then there is that issue of breaking the gun open, the spent shells poping out correctly, and then loading the next two rounds, then flipping the barrel up. Seems like a lot of steps where something could go wrong. More than a pump. Nothing training and practice couldn't overcome, but there are simply a lot of more effective tools out there.

I'm not trying to convince you to get an 870 or whatever. Gun magazines are put out to sell guns and advertisements first. Always take what they say with a grain of salt.

You make your own decisions. These are just the opinions of myself. I'm not going to handicap myself in any way I can. I'm never going to be a gun fighting master (a lot of bad things would have to happen before then). I've got a life, a wife, and limited income and time.

But they do look incredibly cool. As a fun gun or a "why the heck not gun" I'd be all over it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Only if you want to miss.

There is a lot more to running a shotgun than you realize...

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Well, I've read the posts here and decided to do a little comparitive analysis. Got out my Stoeger coachgun and a Remington 1100 Skeet gun. First, the trigger on the 1100 is at the same place as the front trigger on the cg when the stocks of mine are aligned at the rear. The overall length of the 1100 is 10.25 inches longer than the cg, again with stocks aligned at the rear. The 1100 would be very unbalanced shooting one handed, the cg would not. Recoil of both would make them jump up in your face if shot one handed, but I find the cg to not rise too bad at all when shot with 2 hands. The overall width of the forend of the cg is not much more than the 1100. My 1100 is actually somewhat barrel heavy to assist in swing. The cg balances very well between the hands.
    I have a variety of personal shotguns to choose from and the cg is without a doubt the best "house gun" of the whole bunch.
    Maybe the cg isn't for everyone but I think Doc Holiday had a pretty good idea at the corral.

Top Bottom