• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • megafatcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    I am new to shotshell reloading. I recently loaded up a batch of high brass federals in 20 ga for skeet practice. These shells were very difficult to eject from a Rem 870 youth. Switching to factory rem game loads, we had no problems. The recipe was followed exactly and I do not have any problems with my 16 ga loads. What did I do wrong? No problems feeding.
    DK Firearms

Duman44

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Houston
    Been reloading shotshells for years. High brass shells are quite a bit tougher to properly resize than low brass. I even purchased a seperate finger type collet die to squeeze the brass and still had problems with extraction. Ended up changing over to nothing but low brass one piece hulls, like winchester AA or equivalent. Back when you could shoot lead at waterfowl, I loaded these hulls up as hot as any high brass factory equivalent and never had any problems.
    One other thing, you mentioned a youth 870. Is it an express or a wingmaster? The express had had a history of rough chambers which will exacerbate the extraction issue.

megafatcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Thanks, I did not know about the rough chamber history. I will get out the brass brush, steel wool and drill.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Thaskinny1
    Top Bottom