Guns International

Should I buy this? Will it fit? I'm so tempted!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Will this fit on my 16" mid length gas system Spikes upper?

I know i'll need a new low profile gas block and a flip up front BUIS, but i don't care. How much do gunsmith's charge to install these things? Is there anything else you'd recommend over this?

Daniel Defense 12.0 Rifle Omega Rail

xdd10003.jpg

YHM Low Profile Gas Block

xyhm9383.jpg

Whats the difference between these and the ones that have that weird thing in the back that looks like allen key screws? the "lite rail"

like this? I'm actually wanting this one over.

http://www.brownells.com/1/1/15005-ar-15-lite-rails-lite-rail-12-0-daniel-defense.html

Lite_Rail_12_0_FSPM

And can anyone post their 12" free float rail pics if they have any?
    Guns International

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    I wont have a AR that doesnt have iron sights on it.
    If your optics fail, flip up the iron and keep shooting. JMO......
    If you convinced on buying that, just tell their tech department what ya got and ask them to make sure.
    The way that gas block is made, I think the rail goes over it so it should work, I guess.
    Besides, I thought you would be a AK guy. Just kiddin ya.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Did you have any issues with the plastic parts trying to melt when beating on the AK like a wild man?
    Im fixin to get me a folding stock AK and wondered about the composite peices.
    Im really fond of wood myself, but the composite takes a beating better.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I never shot it more than once, so I wouldn't know about that, but i've never heard any complaints, and everyone on the AK side seems to LOVE tapco.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Not going to fit. I've got a DD 9.5 FSB lite rail on an SBR upper. The DD forearms are made to be close to the barrel. You won't be able to fit a gas block under them.

a6cd0a5d-aa74-e8ca.jpg

a6cd0a5d-aa9f-41bc.jpg

You can see how close the barrel rides to the rails. The only reason I could fit a 9.5 is because it's the FSB model that cuts out for a front sight base.

You could run one of the tube style rails pretty easily. My 3 gun rifle has a 15" Midwest Industries rail that rides over a low profile gasblock. Yankee Hill, Midwest Industries and Troy make tube type rails among many others, just not Daniel Defense (at least in the Lite Rail line).

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Here's a shot of my unfinished 3 gun rifle with the railed tube type forearm.

a6cd0a5d-ac93-b1b2.jpg

a6cd0a5d-acc2-760c.jpg

This forearm only has a top rail, but you can see how much more room it's got for a gasblock.

It's great working somewhere that it's almost expected for you to have guns all over your desk...

Sid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Austin
    You should have no problems installing the Omega Rail yourself:
    Daniel Defense OMEGA Rail install guide and pictorial review

As for the YHM low-pro gas block, I recommend you go with a Daniel Defense clamp type low-pro gas block:
    https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/750-clamp-low-profile-gas-block.html
    Why? The YHM you linked, along with other brands of similar design, use allen screws from the bottom up. These are best installed with barrels dimpled where those allen screws contact the barrel so as not to slip out. The Daniel Defense clamp type is also an easy install, provided you can uninstall your FSB gas block. Another incentive is that the DD camp gas block is compatible with both the Omega Rail and Lite Rail.

I have the 10" Lite Rail installed on my mid-gas AR. The Lite Rail is one piece and is a few ounces lighter than the Omega, but requires a special adapter to be installed behind the barrel nut. This is fairly easy to do if you've got the right tools. *** If you do end up with the Lite Rail and install it yourself, remember this: THE BOTTOM TWO ALLEN SCREWS INSTALL FROM BARREL SIDE TO RECEIVER SIDE. Apparently, this is easily forgotten when you get into the groove installing the top and mid screws from receiver side in; you'll end up with a stupid mark while wondering why its so hard to get this screw in. Like I did. :P

ETA: I forgot that the Lite Rail comes with its own barrel nut and requires the Daniel Defense barrel nut wrench:
    http://www.weaponevolution.com/foru...-Lite-Rail-install-guide-and-pictorial-review

slapaho

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    SA
    Omega 9.0 will fit. Drop-in free float, light weight.. it's great if you want an easy install and don't want to make any permanent modifications. I have a 9.0 on a Spike's middy.

Top Bottom