Target Sports

Should risqué memes be segregated from our family-friendly content?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should memes with risqué text be confined to The Man Cave?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 4.6%
    • Mostly, but don't be a jerk about it.

Votes: 9 10.3%
    • Take it case by case.

Votes: 25 28.7%
    • Generally no unless the language is really over the top.

Votes: 18 20.7%
    • No.

Votes: 38 43.7%

• Total voters

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Memes posted on the open board sometimes include crude, lewd, or otherwise shocking-to-some-sensibilities language. Should there be a thread for such content in The Man Cave? If so, should memes with crude language be confined to that thread? Or encouraged only in that thread? Or discouraged generally? Or...?

What are your thoughts?
    Lynx Defense

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I hang out pretty much exclusively on this forum because it is generally civil, sane, respectful, and full of info.
    In other words, I am quite pleased with the culture and climate of this forum.
    It seems most egregious behavior is corralled by mods and members alike.
    Every once in awhile someone takes something too far, goes over the top, or gets a bit too emotional or personally involved. In almost every one of those cases, it has been "nipped". If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And honestly, this forum, relatively speaking, is tame compared to what a child, or sensitive individual, would encounter on the "intranect".
    Thanks for asking!

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I don’t have access, yet, to the man cave.

If I was the owner of tgt I would only have an issue with illegal content.

I don’t know if it’s worth changing how the forum operates. Is the forum fearful, Ben? Is it fearful of what the left or anti gunners think? If so I think changing how y’all operate only give in to the lunacy.

I can live with standing firm against illegal content or certain slurs, but as long as it’s because we feel that way not because of outside factors. Just my two cents...

Txcross and y’all run a good site. Y’all are more than accepting of activity that would see a lot of us get banned elsewhere. On the flip side it’s an actual family here; good and bad just like a real family but a family.

Ultimately it’s your guys rodeo. Tgt is my community so if I have to change what I post it’s not a big deal.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Is the forum fearful, Ben?
    Absolutely not. This isn't a problem area; it's just an area where I wanted to think ahead.

We occasionally get a report on a meme that someone thinks is too lewd or otherwise objectionable. When that happens, whoever works the report makes a judgement call. Sometimes the post gets hidden; sometimes we reject the report with a short note to document our thinking.

I think the current system works well but I'm always open to suggestions from folks who think they see a better way.

So I figure it's worth discussing. And then maybe forgetting but the discussion should come first.

Reasonable?

crystalphoto

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2022
    Bethune, South Carolina
    Being relatively new here, I feel that content that I wouldn't want the kids or grandkids to see should be in the Man Cave or in an area similar...I also don't want the schools teaching them about sex... There is a place for everything, and I don't think it is censoring...it is just a place more suitable to the content, as dictated by common decency...I would like to feel this forum is "family friendly", as I believe it is. Thanks for asking, Ben.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Absolutely not. This isn't a problem area; it's just an area where I wanted to think ahead.

We occasionally get a report on a meme that someone thinks is too lewd or otherwise objectionable. When that happens, whoever works the report makes a judgement call. Sometimes the post gets hidden; sometimes we reject the report with a short note to document our thinking.

I think the current system works well but I'm always open to suggestions from folks who think they see a better way.

So I figure it's worth discussing. And then maybe forgetting but the discussion should come first.

Reasonable?
    Reasonable. I wasn’t sure of anything that y’all might have discussed behind closed doors.

I think y’all can only do what you have been. You guys donate your time. I would hope more members become mindful of mods time by ignoring something that might not be worth the trouble.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think taking it case by case is a good way to handle this. I've been to forums that go too hard on that "family friendly" thing and that will give you warnings on even the most minor of language (I've been warned for saying "crap"). Being too family friendly will suck the fun out of a place. At the end of the day, I think we're all adults here. We can handle a little salty language and the occasional lewd pic. This is not a church or a classroom. It's a gun forum that's probably the internet equivalent of a local pub. That's honestly why this is my favorite forum. It's got a laid back attitude and is pretty lenient on what you can do, but not too lenient. Most forums can't get that right. Either they go to hard with the rules, or they go too far towards total chaos and anarchy. It would be a shame to mess with that balance.

You guys have been doing a great job, just keep doing what you've been doing.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    Honestly, If anything on here offends anybody you don’t want to come to my house. Between guns, pit bulls and my colorful vocabulary you wouldn’t be comfortable at all.

Also I have a 10 month old and 18 year old. My 18 year old has her own car, job and house. Short of paying her phone bill and helping her out 1 time with rent she is independent. I credit that to not censoring shit and teaching her that life isn’t a sheltered fairytale. My two cents anyway.

Great job guys, we definitely appreciate all y’all’s hard work bringing together such great site.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm about to be the pot calling the kettle black here and no, I've not asked for Man Cave access. The written word is easy to police and profanity filters can be tuned such that a lot of freedom of speech is moderated by the end-user. I occasionally write like a sailor, but in my mind, people have the option to have my language censored when it's presented to them as an individual. A meme is a different story though. By definition, it's an image with text overlaid. That in and of itself bypasses profanity filters. But I don't think the Man Cave was intentionally designed to house the lewd, crude, and socially unacceptable. I figure if it's too vulgar for the regular membership, it's probably still too vulgar behind the door that's used more as a DCMA risk mitigation strategy than anything else.

I think a mindset of 'everything goes' in The Man Cave ultimately hurts the forum as a whole because people are, well people, and people sometimes suck. Those not knowing what's behind door #3 can open it and find whole different world that could severely impact what I understand is a place where we would prefer to be face to face and make the effort to be face to face. Honestly, I've stopped dropping by the political memes thread because for me the amount of content that I find distasteful being posted that got me shaking my head and wondering if I'd really want to spend a day at Hicksville or Texas Star with some of our members. Then there's the potential of leakage; nobody likes it and it's harmful to the broader membership as a whole, which threatens the site owner's ability to provide us this place. Which leads me to....

The Internet. There's probably a reddit for whatever you're thinking would be the dividing line for what's acceptable in the cave, but not acceptable for the general membership, @benenglish. Let them go there to find that. Let them assume the risk. I think there's better ways to spend our time improving the membership which I think results in a higher quality site anyways.

Top Bottom