• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I was thinkin about the perfect SHTF shotgun the other day while I was walkin through the gun store. I began looking at the saigas. I really liked them other than the fact that they're russian. I could live with them being russian though. I decided that my SHTF shot gun would be either a saiga 20 or saiga 410 (most likely the 20) with a aimpoint M2 red dot. Using a mix of slugs and buck shot and maybe some bird shot for hunting.
    So what would yalls SHTF shotgun setups be.
    Hurley's Gold

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Personally, I like my shotties to be as short as legally possible...

IMG_2219.jpg

That's a Mossberg 500 Persuader in 12 gauge, loaded with 4" 00-buckshot magnum rounds and with a SureFire 6P light with a 120-lumen bulb in it, and a red laser attached. It fills the niche between a pistol and a rifle.

Cheers! M2

m24shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Depends on what kind of SHTF you're talking about. Another Ike or something along those lines and if I have to grab a shotgun it will probably be this one-

sbshogue.jpg

Meat Popsicle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Austin
    The Saiga 12 is a nice shotgun. However, magazines take a lot of practice to be able to change them quickly. My first time out with one I couldn't get a mag inserted faster than I could have slung 8 shells into a pump.

Pumps are simple, rugged, and versatile. Most people would either recommend a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500/590.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Damn, M24. Is that a 14" barrel!? Awesome!

The Saiga 12 is a nice shotgun. However, magazines take a lot of practice to be able to change them quickly. My first time out with one I couldn't get a mag inserted faster than I could have slung 8 shells into a pump.

Pumps are simple, rugged, and versatile. Most people would either recommend a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500/590.

Pumps need a lot (and I mean a lot) of practice so you won't short-stroke when adrenaline kicks you in the tail. I can have you changing Saiga mags in about 3 seconds flat in around 5 minutes.

m24shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Sage:
    Yes it is. And I like it a lot.
    Short stroking is something to be aware of and a possiblity with a pump gun that a lot of people don't consider.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Any Shotgun is a good shotgun. Pistol grip shotguns are good for concealment and close, tight areas. Not really necessary for all out go get em.
    Short barrels such as 18" are great, I have several.
    My favorite is a 18" barrel 870 with a speed loader stock. Perfect for going and getting them. Whats great about a 870 is parts are plentyful. You can have different barrels for different things and not have to spend tons of money.
    Piston grips are great for carry guns such as in you vehicle because they dont take up too much room.
    Saiga are cool, I just dont like the bulky design. Might as well have a AK.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    I freaking love my saiga-12, I'm sure a 20 or a .410 would be fine too, if you're s girlyman... pumps are always nice too though

sbs.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Your ruling out the 12 gauge? Why? OMG im so offended.

Not ruling it out. Just saying 20 gauge makes more sense. You get a lighter gun, lighter ammo and less recoil in a package that's still extremely effective on target.

Actually, I wish 16 was more popular and not dying out. It splits the difference between 12 (usually too much) and 20 (just on the small side) very nicely.

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    RemingtonM11.jpg

how about a whippet style auto-5 12ga filled with those mini shells, then you have capacity, compact size, less recoil, and the added sex appeal such a gun gives you, which is necessary for any post apocalyptic scenario. adjustable recoil spring allows a diversity of loads to be fired with reliability and no gas system to foul.

Top Bottom