• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • track_warrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Lone Star State
    Hey guys i'm thinking about purchasing a .22 for target practice and i'm caught between these two models. I owned a first gen p22 and had horrible feed issues and overall felt pretty disappointed with the quality of the gun. I heard they improved the p22 over the years but have not had a chance to try out a newer version. Iv'e never shot a sig so i cant really compare them thats why i was trying to get some advice from you guys. Any one have any experience with both of them? Which has better quality etc? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    History of both is plagued by issues.

If you are really wanting a pistol for just target shooting there are plenty of them out there. Browning Buckmark, Beretta Neos, Rugers, High Standard, S&W has a couple different models, etc. While most of them are very accurate, they are very unconventional compared to centerfire pistols because they have a pedigree for target shooting and not self defense, nor are they designed to replicate the manual of arms on of popular self defense pistols.

If you want something that's cheaper to practice self defense style shooting with, I'd suggest you find a conversion kit for the pistol you carry. The Beretta Cheetah and CZ Kadet stand out to me as having a great track record for being reliable and well built, but they aren't cheap. I shot a new P22 the other week and only remember 2 or 3 failure to feeds out of 150 rounds, but it's a very small pistol and has a few things very different from my Glock. S&W's M&P22 is supposed to be quite reliable as well as being a full sized copy but it's a little expensive as well.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I handled a mesquito when looking to buy, Liked the look and feel but the gun was disigned around high velocity ammo, the trigger also felt gritty and the decocker was pretty stiff. That and the plastic wrapped barrel turned me away. Best bet is to handle them all and see what feels best, ruger has a new one out also I believe. Ruger and browning will probably give best reliabilty and least chance of having to send it back before it functions properly.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've owned a Mosquito and shot the P22, and my recommendation would be to get a Ruger 22/45 or MarkIII. A Browning Buckmark would be a good option, too.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I have a pair of mosquitoes, they are picky. Expect FTF and FTE for the first thousand rounds or so. The more you shoot them the more reliable they become.

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    I've got a P22. It's a good intro gun for autos to new shooters (IMO) and generally a fun little gun to shoot. LIke LJH with his Mosquitos, I've had a couple of failures (feed and fire) over the first 1K. It like the solid point CCI's.

That said, I've also got a Ruger MkIII which is fun, but a very different pistol. I'm waiting for everything to clear on a supressor which will intially be used on the P22, but could move over to any threaded barrel .22 at some point.

Jeff B.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom