SIG or GLOCK?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Byaah_19, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Byaah_19

Byaah_19 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I have a Glock 30 .45 cal with rail and adjustable sights and a friend wants to trade me a Sig p229r in 9mm with a rail and night sights. Both guns are in same excellent condition. I love my Glock and I'm also a big fan of the .45 cal but have heard such good things about sigs. I have also heard people say a sig will outlast a Glock because its a metal frame as opposed to polymere. I know alot of it comes down to personal preference. Someone convince me one way or the other.

2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Sigs aren't any more durable or reliable than Glocks. I would definitely take that trade as a P229R is worth more than a G30, is a nicer gun overall, and is a little bit more accurate.

3. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Although both are good guns, and assuming as you say they are in equal condition, the Sig is worth more. You could trade for it, sell it and probably have enough cash to by a brand new Glock.

As for which will last longer who knows. 9mm is a lighter round, so I'd give the edge to the Sig as far as lasting. But both should go well over 25,000 rounds. Maybe 50,000. The Sig most likely has an alloy frame, which is subject to wear from the SS slide rubbing on it. Needs a lot of grease to insure premature wear. The Glock, not so much.

4. APatriot

APatriot Active Member

Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
  5. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    The guns are both built like a tank and are going to last a very long time. The SIG has a definite advantage in the value department but I would trade it in a heartbeat unless you have reservations about the 9mm round. I personally wouldn't trade a .45 for a 9mm simply because I don't enjoy shooting 9mm, however I would trade a Glock for a SIG in a heartbeat. The one question is what color box does the SIG come with? A red box = CPO (certified preowned) and Blue = bought new. The red box will actually decrease the value some and put their used value in the same area between those specific guns. If it's in the blue box then the value remains with the SIG. Just a little more stuff to consider.

6. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Glock only has a few steel contact points for the slide to ride on, and those are made of stamped steel. The anodized aluminum of the Sig frame goes the full length of the slide, giving greater contact area and anodized aluminum is actually harder than most steels (anodizing carries a Rockwell of about 60 on the C scale). Both pistols should have the slide and frame rails greased, though not with "a lot".

Personally, I'd go with the Sig. Much better ergonomics.

7. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    The sig is worth more $$$

Both are good, quality guns.

Shoot the gun, I'm assuming it is a friend's gun.

Take the one that feels better and that you are better with.

8. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Definately a no brainer, go with the Sig.

9. Texsun

Texsun Active Member

Feb 26, 2009
    The Sig is a classy firearm.....more of an heirloom.

10. gladi8r

gladi8r Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    I love my glocks and my sigs they both have there purposes and do them very well.