• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    New Braunfels
    Seen this guy that had a couple of Sigs for sale and got me thinking. He had some West German made ones. I was wondering if they are any better/more desireable than the ones made in the U.S.? Any info would help. Thanks.
    ARJ Defense ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Some say they're better, and that makes them more desirable. I have a post-Cold War Sig, and have shot more than a few on both sides of that dividing line. IMO there is no difference.

If anything, I prefer my Sig over the older ones for the fact that it has a rail for a light on the frame. More useful. That and I don't think the W. German ones were ever available in single-action only form...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The older ones from anywhere around that time period ('80s-early/mid 90's, heck even the 70's) are GREAT guns, and better IMO than some of the newer ones. While there were easier ways they could have built them back then, they are sort of like Porsches as far as the attention to detail and unique build process they used to have with the older folded steel slides from that time period:

Link

Mine is a '94 production P220, which is the same folded slide/removable breech block design as the one you're talking about. The thing runs like a lawn mower, is accurate as heck, and just insanely reliable as long as you keep up with recoil spring replacement (every ~3-5k rds to be safe), breech block roll pin replacement (every ~5-8k rds I believe, it's like $2 in parts so might as well), and mag spring replacement (just whenever you get feed issues replace the springs). At one of the TGT events (I think our first one in Houston) I went through 700rds without cleaning or re-lubing and I did so in a short period of time. Thinking back, I wish I made a vid of that for reference as a "torture test" as the gun performed pretty much flawlessly, and IIRC I believe the only FTF's I had were on the crap Promag I got free from someone and thought I'd try out. So far that's been pretty much the story with this gun for the past ~3-4yrs I've had it. It's been almost boring there's been so few malfunctions, and the few times I've had them it was either due to the crappy Promag, or worn mag springs. I say buy it and you'll never feel like looking back. ;)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I need to shoot my P220 against yours sometime. I'd be interested in which one is more accurate. They're both even on reliability, though. I clean mine maybe once a year...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    New Braunfels
    I dont own one........yet. Just seen one for sale that was W. German. Trying not to buy any guns till after X-mas. Trouble is i keep seeing guns i need. I kinda like the idea of a gun thats been around and has some character though.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I need to shoot my P220 against yours sometime. I'd be interested in which one is more accurate. They're both even on reliability, though. I clean mine maybe once a year...

You gonna get someone else to shoot it so there's no "operator error" on accuracy?

Just askin'......

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

The only way you can make an honest claim is using a Ransom. Anything else is going to have human error. I would be willing to bet that there's no difference between the two. Sigs are well built.

Travis's P220 is a really good gun. I like the 220 more than most of the other Sigs.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'd bet there is no difference. But just about everybody I've handed my P220 to has become an instant dead eye. Must be the sights on it...

Top Bottom