Sig Sauer P226 Question

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by lonewolf23c, Nov 1, 2008.

1. lonewolf23c

lonewolf23c Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Anyone here that owns a Sig Sauer P226?

Do these pistols have a manual safety or decocking lever? Also are they just double action? Seems strange if it doesn't have a manual safety that the military would start going to this weapon away from the Beretta.

My National Guard unit is being fielded with the Sig Sauer P-226 pistols so I'm kind of doing a little research. I haven't yet been able to get to the gun shop to look at one and familiarize myself with them yet, so any information would be helpful. Also how are they for ease of tearing down for cleaning?

Thanks,

Bill

2. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Pretty sure like most Sigs it has a de-cocker and is single/double.

3. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    They are a traditional DA/SA and they all have a decocking lever on the left side.

4. lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    OK, thanks. Guess I'm gonna have to go look at one up close. They look like a pretty nice pistol. Except they're a bit pricey.

5. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had a Sig P232 a few years back. It was a great gun and was super accurate. I qualified for my CHL with it and it saved me from getting bit by a copperhead once. I sold it to get a 9mm fullsize pistol, but I have always wished I still had it for carry.

6. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

Actually, if you look around just a bit, decent condition older P226's can still be found in the $400-550 area. The newer ones and newer Sigs in general are pretty ridiculous in price though. The old ones work perfectly fine though, and they are incredibly reliable.

7. jar

jar New Member

Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    There are two versions of the 226 out there. The traditional model is the 226 DA/SA and it has the classic Sig Decocking Lever. There is also the 226 DAK which is DA only.

The 226 DAK that I shot had a trigger that felt and broke much like a smooth DA Revolver. If you allowed the trigger to return fully forward it had a nice light breaking feel, almost Smith like. There is short return spot where the trigger is reset but the force needed is slightly higher than a full reset, comparable to the first shot with a traditional 226.

I loved all my 226s but have also always been a DA Revolver fan and were I to get another 226 it would most likely be the 226 DAK.

8. lonewolf23c

Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Sounds like they're nice pistols. I'm gonna have to take one out and fire it before qualification next March to see how they will work at the range. Shouldn't expect any problems I wouldn't think.

9. Dusty Rivers

Dusty Rivers New Member

Apr 22, 2008
    My P226 is my "will never sell' gun DA/SA. I have had it for over 20 years. it never fails me. Decocking lever. Navy Seal's issue gun at one time. It flat out just works. For your CCW a P239 is a smaller version of the P226, well at least it functions and fells the same so switching back and forth is without thought. I like the hogue finger grips on the P239, but it makes the P226 grip too thick. The standard P226 checkered grips work great on it. You will love the P226. look for a Sig factory rework. Will be like new and knocks a couple of hundred off the price

10. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    The P226 is a very good pistol, and I shoot mine better than any other pistol I have. The DA/SA system with decoker is a very good option for a safety, without actually haveing lever to push. The standard DA will clock in arount 10 lbs, which someone would really need to work at to ND. I put a 19 lb main spring in mine, and that brought the DA down to about 9 lbs, which is still heavy enough for a good margin of safety, but a little easier to shoot. This spring reduction improved the already excellent SA pull down to 4 lbs from about 4.5. Sigs are one of the easiist to maintain. Talk down can be done vertually in seconds, and unlike Glocks, you don't need to pull the trigger.

And these are great looking guns too!

[​IMG]