• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Shotguns are a curious thing for me. It seems some days I'm right on when shooting skeet/clay pigeons and other days I can't hit the broad side of a barn!

What sight enhancements have y'all done to your shotguns to give it more of a rifle type sight picture?
    Texas SOT

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    It is interesting to note, that while the spread of certain chokes does make aiming a shotgun less important, it still requires aiming while using 00 and other types of buckshot. I tested out my shotgun a few years ago (wish I kept the photos) by firing various buckshot rounds at differing distances. The results surprised me at close range. Any distance within my house and the hole a 00 makes isn't bigger than my fist. It makes total sense for defensive use to have ghost sights. I think there is that mentality of "I'll just put it to my hip and fire in the general direction when the zombies break in", when in reality, you still have to aim.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Yeah even shorty and special spreading shotguns still have to be aimed at "in house" distances. No matter what, you have to hit what you are aiming for. When shooting clays shot selection means a lot. I seem to have good luck with Winchester AAs Winchester AA Shotshells Per Case, Shotgun Ammunition, Ammunition, Shooting : Cabelas.com.

As far as sights go...it depends. Is your 870 going to be your clays gun or your HD gun? For clays, I almost think the less real "sight" the better. Since a lot of time, you are leading not aiming, I can't imagine what a perfect set of sights would be. Depending on the shot I may completely cover the clay with the barrel - I am not aiming with sights. Also let me point out that I am a complete novice at it, so what do I know?

Now for HD, like you, I agree that at close range it does need to be aimed. I think ghostring/red dot/laser are the best choices.

The two uses are mutually exclusive as far as I am concerned and you'd be better off making the 870 a HD gun and picking up a Yildiz for clays: Yildiz SP2 ME 12 gauge over/under shotgun EXC! : Over Under at GunBroker.com

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    It is interesting to note, that while the spread of certain chokes does make aiming a shotgun less important, it still requires aiming while using 00 and other types of buckshot. I tested out my shotgun a few years ago (wish I kept the photos) by firing various buckshot rounds at differing distances. The results surprised me at close range. Any distance within my house and the hole a 00 makes isn't bigger than my fist. It makes total sense for defensive use to have ghost sights. I think there is that mentality of "I'll just put it to my hip and fire in the general direction when the zombies break in", when in reality, you still have to aim.

Don't gotta aim... my favorite shotgun range is within ten feet. :D

theblakester

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Austin, Tx
    Yeah, at 10 feet - it's just point and click!
    Don't gotta aim... my favorite shotgun range is within ten feet. :D

Have you actually tested that "point and click" theory at 10 feet w/ buckshot (I assume that is the ammo you would be using)? How large of a spread do you really get? What specific gun, barrel length, choke, and ammo do you use to be adequate? At 10 feet, I'm thinking that you'll get a spread of about 2-3 inches, and I think that would require aiming at a moving target.

The Box O' Truth #20 - Buckshot Patterns - Page 1

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    eheh..... jsut aim the damn gun!
    *mumblelazy*mumble*goodmumlefornothin*mumble*

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Yes, I have tested buckshot at that range...
    ....Clockwork and I were just joking about not aiming at 10 feet. I beleive it to be a misconception that you don't need to aim with buckshot. Everytime I miss a clay, i'm reminded that you have to aim with birdshot too..

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, I guarantee I can at least hit paper with buckshot at 10 feet. Whether I hit them in the gut or hit them in the shoulder a person would be having a pretty bad day. Generally I tend to load birdshot followed by 3" magnum. Like a two strikes and third time you're out kind of thing. :)

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Pretty sure I could hit someone in the chest with a shotgun at 10 ft without aiming, just pointing. What is that, like 1000 MOA?

But I have a frickin' lazer beam on mine too just in case.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Two applications on the shot gun. Clay or wing shooting you don't have much time to align sights, You've got to get a shotgun that fits you properly and learn to mount it the same way every time. Then your eye becomes the rear sight, and if it's mounted (to your shoulder) properly you only need see the front sight and then lead and follow through as you pull the trigger. I find the fiber optic front sights are very helpful. A lot easier to see than that tiny gold bead. I've got the inexpensive magnetic style on my 870 and Winchester 101.

For defense shooting, or hunting with buck shot or slugs, sights which require front and rear to be aligned are a big advantage. As already pointed out, you can train to be able to shoot COM out to 10 yards or so using the same technique as with wing shooting. Key thing here is you do need to practice that.

Ghost ring sights like the type that SX Sight systems offers are nice, but spendy. You can buy a sighted smooth or rifled 870 barrel for what they cost. A laser or red dot set up is pretty good for defense

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I find the fiber optic front sights are very helpful. A lot easier to see than that tiny gold bead. I've got the inexpensive magnetic style on my 870 and Winchester 101.

I have a fiber optic front sight sitting in a box, I've debated if it would help. Thanks for the input, I may slap it on and work on my muscle memory on bring the shotgun to bear and aligning my eye sight with the optic. It's gotta help I'm sure. You may have pointed out my main issue, which is lack of consistent sighting while shooting/following clays.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Richardson
    My Remi 870, came with the factory bead, but it also had a magnetic fiber optic sight that sticks and snaps on to the barrel behind the bead. It helped me alot while shooting clay pigeons. It has interchangeable Green/Red/ and Solid white optics. I use the green big dot fiber optic. Its doesn't work well for precise accuracy, when I shoot rifled slugs and buck shot from 10yards-20yards. My Remi sits under my bed with 2- 7 1/2 birdshot shells and 1 buckshot and 1 rifled slug with the Green fiber optic. The shells are set in order from less time to aim and more time to aim. then later I will add a UTG rail for a scope or red dot. so many options with a remi 870.

Rail: SHT-017 - Leapers UTG Tactical Mount Fit Remington 870 Shotgun and Compatibles 14" Picatinny Slots on Top

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Have you actually tested that "point and click" theory at 10 feet w/ buckshot (I assume that is the ammo you would be using)? How large of a spread do you really get? What specific gun, barrel length, choke, and ammo do you use to be adequate? At 10 feet, I'm thinking that you'll get a spread of about 2-3 inches, and I think that would require aiming at a moving target.

The Box O' Truth #20 - Buckshot Patterns - Page 1

The pattern is small at 10 feet, but with the length of a shotgun (or rifle) and three points of contact, they're very easy to point-shoot to a good degree of accuracy at that kind of range with just a little practice.

When I shot carbine matches with my AK, I wouldn't use the sights for shots inside 10-15 yards unless it was a "hostage" setup or something like that.

e150gt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2011
    San Antonio
    I have Trijicon/Scattergun Tech. tritium ghost rings on my 870. Im very pleased with the looks and perceived functionality of them. I say that because I have not fired it since I had them installed.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I fiddled with some Rem 870's and 1100 Rem's. I bought slug barrels with sights at Cabelas and then tried slug barrels with screw in chokes. That's my favorite approach. Changing chokes gives you a whole new shotgun!

Flash

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I fiddled with some Rem 870's and 1100 Rem's. I bought slug barrels with sights at Cabelas and then tried slug barrels with screw in chokes. That's my favorite approach. Changing chokes gives you a whole new shotgun!

Flash

You know, you bring up a good point. I think it is time for a choke review. Maybe we should start an information thread on the various chokes and what they accomplish.

Top Bottom