• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I loved it and it shot perfectly through my Plum Crazy.

The only difference I noticed from the Federal brand is more muzzle flash. You can see the flames! I actually think it's pretty cool.

The gun cleaned up afterwards just fine (200 rounds).

As far as accuaracy, it was just as accurate as the Federal I used. I was shooting at 25 yards with open sights and the grouping was well within 1.5" group. Now that may not be match grade shooting, but if I had a scope and took my time, I know I could shoot it even better.

I've ordered more due to the price and the luck I've had with it.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Thats great to hear. I will go shoot some tomorrow. If it shoots as well as you say, I will probably get a couple more cases on the way. Copes has a great price and their shipping is dirt cheap.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    what is it about steel cased ammo that I always hear? Everyone seems to say to keep russian .223 away from your AR's and such, something about steel cased ammo case not expanding and letting more filth get into your chamber, and you have to clean more?

Is it really that bad?

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    what is it about steel cased ammo that I always hear? Everyone seems to say to keep russian .223 away from your AR's and such, something about steel cased ammo brass not expanding and letting more filth get into your chamber, and you have to clean more?

Is it really that bad?

Don't listen to them. You should clean your chamber well anyway. If you don't have a chamber brush for an AR15, i'm sure your local shop has one for under $5. You could always use a 9mm and 12 gauge brush if you can't find one.

verge

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Ft. Worth
    I have used the Silver Bear 62 gr, HP ammunition. The range I frequent does not allow FMJ ... It shoots well but I suspect they are "light" loads as there is noticeably less recoil than with 62 gr SS 109.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    The only problem with the russian steel case stuff is that during high round count drills, the laquer will begin to soften and "melt", when you get a cease fire it can result in a stuck, and I mean STUCK round or case in the chamber. This can also result in a broken extractor at times, I have seen it happen three times on three different ranges. As long as you pay attention and know your weapon it is fin for training ammo...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    The only problem with the russian steel case stuff is that during high round count drills, the laquer will begin to soften and "melt", when you get a cease fire it can result in a stuck, and I mean STUCK round or case in the chamber.
    Didnt we have a whole thread about this recently? This has kind of been prven to be a "wives tale" hasnt it? I personally have shot at least 15k rounds of laquered stiff in the last few years and never had any issues...most I know that have used it can say the same thing.

Plus I dont believe that silver bear is coated.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Also gonna throw some more info about the Russian and former Soviet Bloc nation's ammo.

It's usually not loaded as hot as real 5.56 ammo, so you'll get less velocity. This coupled with the jackets either being pretty thick or steel makes this ammo not fragment. Fragmentation is the biggest thing 5.56 ammo has going for it as far as being used for defensive purposes. I'm not sure about the 62 grain eastern European ammo using SS109 bullets.

In short don't use the cheap Russian ammo for defense.

Federal XM193 or Winchester Q3131 is your best bet for commercially produced 55 grain ammo. Both are more or less M193 spec ammo and reliably fragment within 100 yards. I think there is at least one offering of commercially available M855 ammo. This uses the 62 grain SS109 bullet which at 100 yards or less doesn't yaw as quickly as M193 inside the target. The sooner both of these bullets can yaw the sooner they will break apart. M855 usually does better than M193 outside of 150 yards, BUT, because making an SS109 bullet is a little more technically involved than swaging a copper jacket over a lead core there's more inconsistency with the bullets. The steel penetrator in the SS109 might be off center making it wobble and lose accuracy, it may not reliably fragment at the distances it should, etc.

Now something fun. The military has been having pretty good luck with 77 grain match grade bullets. You'll need a 1/7 barrel to shoot these accurately. These have fragmenting reliably at greater distances than M855. Then there is ammo that isn't designed to fragment but mushroom. This type might get through stuff like glass better, but it's not going to cause as much damage.

Everything you wanted to know about this round and stuff you don't want to know: :: Ammo Oracle

Top Bottom