• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Didnt we have a whole thread about this recently? This has kind of been prven to be a "wives tale" hasnt it? I personally have shot at least 15k rounds of laquered stiff in the last few years and never had any issues...most I know that have used it can say the same thing.

Plus I dont believe that silver bear is coated.

Not sure about the silver bear, but I will tell you laquered ammo in an AR is not a wives tail....

beardking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    www.copesdistributing.net they are a sponsor of this forum

Dagnabit!!!! I got my posts mixed up when I was asking about this (although I'm glad to have found another place to shop). I thought that you were saying that Copes has Silver Bear 62 gr, HP ammunition for $107 for a 500 round case. I keep trying to find an affordable HP "plinking" ammo so I can shoot at any range I want to rather than having to drive an hour to get to one of the four in the metroplex that allow FMJ. :)

That being said, I'm going to be ordering from them soon. Just don't tell my wife. :)

signkutter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Central Texas
    I like the "golden bear" 62 grain hp. Its also steel cased but plated in brass as opposed to zinc in the "silverbear". The Goldenbear has worked out great in my 5.56 MSAR E4 stg. Out of a 20 ich 1/8 twist barrel it performs about as well at 50 to 200 yards as Hornady TAP 75 grain hp. I cant say how well it fragments but it is accurate plinking ammo, cycles reliably although it does burn dirtier IMHO. For the price to quality Golden bear is a sweetheart of a deal. I will be trying "siliver bear' also as I am told that the only difference from golden bear is that silver bear is zinc plated.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Didnt we have a whole thread about this recently? This has kind of been prven to be a "wives tale" hasnt it? I personally have shot at least 15k rounds of laquered stiff in the last few years and never had any issues...most I know that have used it can say the same thing.

Plus I dont believe that silver bear is coated.

Not sure about the silver bear, but I will tell you laquered ammo in an AR is not a wives tail....
    I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of it with no ill effect...in an AR

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

I remember reading that its not the laquor that melts off, its the fact that steel doesn't seal as well as brass and more gass goes back into the chamber. Dirtier. A lot of guns have issues with the timing and the case gets stuck. I don't remember the reason, but its not laquor.

ftw13

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Fort Worth
    first of all it is a wives tale,and second of all....all steel cases ammo is now polymer coated except silver bear which is zinc coated. the switch was made a long time ago. i've shot steel cased ammo for about sixteen years almost exclusively in any rifle i've owned and never had a problem when it was lacquered. if your rifle won't feed and fire russian ammo then your rifle just plain sucks.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I just went and shot some more Tulammo and Silverbear through an AR - I'm almost disappointed they shot flawlessly and accurately!

beardking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2008
    Well, I found 240 rounds of Silver Bear 55 gr HP on Sportsman's Guide for $62, so I ordered it. Now I just have to wait for it to get here. I have a question though, they have the 62gr HP for about the same price. How well with this run through a 1:9 twist barrel?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Well, I found 240 rounds of Silver Bear 55 gr HP on Sportsman's Guide for $62, so I ordered it. Now I just have to wait for it to get here. I have a question though, they have the 62gr HP for about the same price. How well with this run through a 1:9 twist barrel?

1/9 twist rate will run it fine. I'd start to worry closer to the 70ish range.

Top Bottom