• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I make what I call "Dump Soup" in a 9-quart cast iron pot

1 6 ounce boneless chicken breast cubed - I will cut the chicken breast into about 3/8 in square pieces
    Sear the cubed chicken in vegetable oil, lard, or in today's instance (I kept the bacon grease from this mornings breakfast) season to taste by adding garlic, black pepper (I prefer coarse ground), and onion, I add a lot cause I like the flavor.

5 teaspoons chicken broth base
    2 cans red beans (additional protein)
    1 can whole kernel corn
    2 cans of sweet peas

(DO NOT DRAIN THE CANNED VEGGIES EVERYTHING GOES IN)

1 hot banana pepper
    2 tablespoons fresh arugula

I had homegrown zucchini in the freezer, potatoes (diced) and 1 quart of tomatoes I canned

(Added this with EDIT)
    This is even better if you add celery and some green pepper or fresh carrots, I just did not have any and I could not justify making that 34 mile round trip drive to go to the grocery store.
    (End EDIT)

(2nd Edit)
    Skip the chicken and use some good pork, pork and beef, or venison sausage. This is tasty also!
    (End 2nd Edit

Add anything you want, pintos work in place of the red beans, tomato sauce or diced tomatoes will work, any kind of "green" that you can cut into thinly sliced or chopped as well, such as spinach, mustard even cabbage. If you don't have potatoes use 3/4 cup rice even some pasta, such as elbow macaroni even ramen noodles will work to give the soup some body. If you want spicier add more peppers.

In the coming hard times I foresee, might as well start stretching out the budgets and preps. This will make a very filling "soup" with a pretty good amount of nutrients. If this does not "fill you up" I make cheese quesadillas as a side.

Some of the gourmets on this site may sneer at this, but if you are on a tight budget and want something that is tasty, filling, and fairly quick to make this will work.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Sounds great…but I think the name “Dump Soup” could use a bit of marketing help

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It does contain a lot of fiber!!! answering that issue.

I call it that simply because I DUMP whatever I have on hand, especially if items are getting close to the so-called "expiration date". I do not throw items away unless the can is "puffed", it should still be good to consume as long as there is no damage or swelling noted, or an odd odor.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    It does contain a lot of fiber!!! answering that issue.

I call it that simply because I DUMP whatever I have on hand, especially if items are getting close to the so-called "expiration date". I do not throw items away unless the can is "puffed", it should still be good to consume as long as there is no damage or swelling noted, or an odd odor.

Reminds me of this book from when I was a kid

176e703c8c483e45297ffcd93f3012f7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Some of the gourmets on this site may sneer at this
    Not me. I salute you and your soup.

Soup with lots of leftovers thrown in is a hugely important part of eating on a budget. It's been a long time but both my mom and I used to do something similar. My memories of those times are that while the money was low, the quality of dinner never suffered.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I am not a fan of bush's baked beans. I make a "baked bean" using 2 cans of pork and beans, brown sugar a dollop of mustard and then bake in a covered pyrex bowl in the oven, sweet and tangy, even better if you add some more bacon!

Chappel Hill sausage is ok, there used to be H&B out of El Campo that made the best sausage around, but I have not eaten either in more than 20 years.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Not me. I salute you and your soup.

Soup with lots of leftovers thrown in is a hugely important part of eating on a budget. It's been a long time but both my mom and I used to do something similar. My memories of those times are that while the money was low, the quality of dinner never suffered.

I have to stretch things sometimes, my parents need some help with medical supplies and such, they took care of me as a kid, now it is my turn.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have to stretch things sometimes, my parents need some help with medical supplies and such, they took care of me as a kid, now it is my turn.
    Excellent thread idea. And at some point, I will be trying out your recipe.

Congrats on stepping up with your parents. Mucho respect for doing that.

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Excellent thread idea. And at some point, I will be trying out your recipe.

Congrats on stepping up with your parents. Mucho respect for doing that.
    Thank you. I am really simple, now don't get me wrong, I really do love a steak that is done well, not well done, I prefer medium-rare. I can easily make do with simple meals. Even a simple "dessert" or "snack". One that I enjoy, leftover biscuits from a can like "Pilsbury Grands", put some creamy peanut butter on them, and some chocolate cake frosting, now you have "Reese's Peanut Butter" biscuit, serve with a glass of cold whole milk. Easy midday snack to give yourself an energy boost until dinner.

Forgot to say I cut the biscuit in half as if to make a sandwich.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Thank you. I am really simple, now don't get me wrong, I really do love a steak that is done well, not well done, I prefer medium-rare. I can easily make do with simple meals. Even a simple "dessert" or "snack". One that I enjoy, leftover biscuits from a can like "Pilsbury Grands", put some creamy peanut butter on them, and some chocolate cake frosting, now you have "Reese's Peanut Butter" biscuit, serve with a glass of cold whole milk. Easy midday snack to give yourself an energy boost until dinner.

Forgot to say I cut the biscuit in half as if to make a sandwich.
    I like simple foods too. I can be just as happy eating pinto beans and cornbread as the next guy.

Some years ago, I went back to cooking foods very much like my grandmother and step-mother cooked.

Lots of those recipes from the Depression era, were about making food go further, without losing flavor. Beans, rice and potatoes were good ways, as well as being great as meat replacements, or even making meat go further.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    An old school boiled dinner can be a pretty hearty cheap meal to fix. The trick is the finding the right bread to suck up the pot liquor. I remember my wife turning up her nose at Smoked Neck Bones the first time I fixed them. Not sure if it was seeing me eating them & enjoying them so much or the fact I didn't care if she ate it or not.

The sad truth is there is no longer any truly cheap meat in a grocery store!

Anyone who ever slaughter a hog with a depression era person learns there is no waste!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    When I was a kid, very little except bones went into the trash. Leftover ham was ground up for ham salad sandwiches. Leftover beef was ground up, spread on a sheet of dough, rolled up and sliced in to spiral "biscuits", then baked and served with gravy. Leftover turkey became turkey sandwiches until the pieces were too small, then it went into a sort of soup that was ladled on toast. A can of tuna, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of peas, and some noodles mixed and baked made tuna noodle casserole. In college, one of my roommates would bring a sack of potatoes back every time he visited home. We ate potatoes baked, fried, mashed, scalloped, and boiled. Leftover mashed potatoes would be formed into patties, dipped in flour, and fried up for breakfast. Spam or hot dogs can go into a lot of dishes as a substitute for real meat.

Hard times will make you find ways to eat without tapping into the Alpo.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I was a kid, very little except bones went into the trash. Leftover ham was ground up for ham salad sandwiches. Leftover beef was ground up, spread on a sheet of dough, rolled up and sliced in to spiral "biscuits", then baked and served with gravy. Leftover turkey became turkey sandwiches until the pieces were too small, then it went into a sort of soup that was ladled on toast. A can of tuna, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of peas, and some noodles mixed and baked made tuna noodle casserole. In college, one of my roommates would bring a sack of potatoes back every time he visited home. We ate potatoes baked, fried, mashed, scalloped, and boiled. Leftover mashed potatoes would be formed into patties, dipped in flour, and fried up for breakfast. Spam or hot dogs can go into a lot of dishes as a substitute for real meat.

Hard times will make you find ways to eat without tapping into the Alpo.
    Then there are the people who just don't eat leftovers! Your tuna casserole not unlike mine(mac & cheese w/ onion rings on top)I have enough in the pantry for six of!

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    Use leftover steak/roast cut into thin strips, place in skillet with some green/red/yellow pepper, onion, garlic, crack a few eggs and make some meaty scrambled eggs, salt and pepper to taste. Add jalapeno, serrano or other pepper if you want, even sprinkle some cheddar on this.

Top Bottom